1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Let Dupree walk!! Target TE Hunter Henry

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Feb 11, 2020.

1. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Yeah agreed, I’d let him go. Colbert said recently that it is going to be very difficult to keep him, I’ve been saying that since the end of the season having looked at their cap situation and their restricted free agents.

I think Finney is probably going to go too, he will get starter money somewhere and the steelers just can’t match that at the moment unless they do a lot of restructures.

2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree Finney is most likely gone. I don’t think he gets starter money though, I think he just gets more than we can afford to give him. I have a hard time believing someone else sees him as a full time starter.

3. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    There are so many teams that need OLine help that he will get overpaid and he probably will start somewhere. It depends on what we call starter money. I’d guess he will get between $6m - $8m

4. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Possibly

5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Nope. You made the claim about Henry. Back it up or admit you can't.

You said you'd rather have the better blocker, which you claimed was Henry. I didn't put any words in your mouth. I responded to exactly what you posted and now you are backtracking because you see how ridiculous it was to compare the two.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Go back a re-read!!! I said I’d rather have a TE that was a better blocker than an extra OT!!!

You’re so quick to argue and prove how right you are that you forget what was even said!!!! Also I said I liked Kelce.

Im not going to go and find video clips of Henry and Kelce blocking to prove a point !!!

Anyone who has watched them play would know Henry is one of if not the best Blocking TE in the NFL. I could care less what you think or believe.

7. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

The more I look at Vance the more I feel we are keeping him and I am fine with that. We can save boat loads of money all over according to OTC. So the thought of letting Vance go this season I am against, mostly because of his connection with Ben. Now you got me looking at his contract and you are right we can save the same amount of money up until 6/1 so we are going to exercise that option by 3/17. I have posted in other threads how we can save 40+ mil in cuts and restructures so I won't do that here and change the focus of this thread.

As for Barron I feel he was insurance for Bush just in case he didn't pick things up and struggled....which he didn't for the most part. A decision will come soon for him as he is due a roster bonus on 3/20 of 750k. Now if we cut him that will be the interesting part because like you mentioned UG3 is unproven and Dirty Red will be a FA. I know you would love to sign Littleton and he would be a great pick up however he will cost a ton and we can't get salary relief from VW. Another option that you and AQL mentioned is Edmunds taking over Barrons role and us upgrading at S which I would love. Keep an eye on Evan Weaver from Cal in the draft this kid is a stud and is getting overlooked IMO.

• Like Like x 2
  8. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I keep feeling like I had missed guys in this draft so I went back and looked at my notes of the srine game and 2 guys stand out to me that fit what you are looking for and could be undrafted steals. Parker Houston, San Diego State and Eli Wolf, Georgia. Both of these guys had very good Shrine games and are not even on the radar as far as the draft. I am not sure either will get invited to the combine but they looked very good. Houston had a great TD catch and a awesome block on a TD run. Wolf is known as a blocker but in the Shrine game caught about everything thrown his way and at one point was like the leading receiver.

Eli Wolf seems to have the most to prove among the group. He has played for two SEC schools but his production is still relatively unknown. He's a taller tight end at 6-foot-4; but at 235 pounds, he is light for a player that size at the position. Wolf is mostly used as an in-line tight end and as a blocker. He has good natural flexibility and leverage when blocking and can get fairly good drive on defensive ends and linebackers on the end of the line. At the Shrine Bowl, Wolf will get the chance to prove what kind of a receiver he can be.

Parker Houston does not run particularly well, but he is technically sound as a blocker and has caught the ball well this week. The former Aztec looks most comfortable as an in-line blocker, but Houston, along with North Dakota State’s Ben Ellefson, emerged as a security blankets for the West quarterbacks. Built in the mold of an H-back, Houston resembles last year’s Shrine standout Andrew Beck, who has found a role with the Denver Broncos.

Houston projects as a priority free agent, but the unsung tight end does a lot of the dirty work reserved for guys on the back end of a 53-man roster.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I have the solution..

Bring Le'veon back, convert him to TE. Never throw to him. Conserve him for 50 years.

10. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Bud Dupree switching agencies, in my mind, seems to indicate he is not just waiting for the franchise tag from the Steelers but actively wants to pursue the market from other teams.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I should add to that previous thought, I know he has no say in being franchised, but I think he wants to test the market elsewhere, and maybe he has some inklings that the Steelers just can't get it done this year. Even though the FO said he is top priority.

12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

If you were him wouldn't you want to? He had the best season he has had and might not have another like that. Gotta strike while the iron is hot, if he has a down season it could cost him millions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You have zero evidence to back your claim about Henry being a better blocker.

I don’t believe that is what you said at all about what you want, but if you did, it was a pointless comment. Anybody would rather have a tight end who is a strong blocker that an extra tackle.

14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    If you think about it even if he would be willing to sign a 2-3 year deal at about 12mil per but all guaranteed it might be tempting for him. I don’t think we typically guarantee that kind of money on a shorter deal but somebody else may. He would still be young enough for another contract after that as well. I think the potential of a 17 game schedule may have a impact on negotiations even before it becomes official... jmo

15. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Why hasn't Foster been cut like yesterday...Would that help to maybe, Keep Finney

• Like Like x 1
  16. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    At this point I honestly don’t think they are going to tag Bud. Colbert was talking recently about how difficult it was going to be to balance the cap and keep him. Bud changing agents may be an indication that he is getting ready to go looking for offers. That’s irrelevant if the Steelers tag him of course.

I’m sure the decision is already made and we will know for sure very soon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    No need to wait, there are some here who are absolutely certain the Steelers are keeping him. Probably:smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I’m starting to get a funny feeling some guys we have written off as cuts may be sticking around. Depending on what ultimately happens with Dupree. Foster I figured would definitely be gone but a part of me thinks Ben might have a say in that. You know how he goes to bat for his OL. Not to mention Foster is a player union rep for the team. It may ultimately happen but.....

19. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    It's hard for me to see the Steelers cut anyone under contract that's been here for a few years. Not really how they operate.

20. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    What if they decide to tag Bud and he refuses to sign it, like Bell did? Do they rescind the tag then? Maybe Bud switched agents because his agent told him that was a bad idea and he wanted a yes man to tell him it's a good idea?
    Of course I have no reason for any of this speculation. It just kind of popped in my head so I figured I'd throw it out there.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Maybe he had Bell's agent & wised up.

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Something I just came across and thought you might be interested in it:

Pittsburgh got virtually no production out of the tight end position in 2019, and they will want to change that moving forward. At 6’2” and 239 pounds, Hunter Bryant isn’t the biggest tight end, but he was a fantastic receiver at Washington and is still a solid blocker on the move.

As a true junior this past season, Bryant caught 52 balls for 825 yards and 3 touchdowns. He also possesses an incredible 16.4 yards per reception over his collegiate career.

With the league’s 30th ranked offense in 2019, there is no doubt the Steelers will want to add skill players early who can help out Ben. Bryant is a player who can come in from day one and make a difference as a move tight end. He has drawn comparisons to New York’s Evan Engram – who possesses similar size and athletic traits.

Bryant may never be a true, dynamic tight end who can line up inside and run people over, but his college production and athletic traits are certainly good enough to warrant a second-round selection. He would be a player that would be hard for the Steelers to pass on at pick 49.

https://stillcurtain.com/2020/02/18/steelers-pff-latest-nfl-mock-draft/

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  23. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Something I just came across and thought you might be interested in it:

The Steelers got virtually no production out of the tight end position in 2019, they also got virtually no production out of the offensive line, the WR's, the RB, and the QB. The Steelers concluded that since it's impossible for someone to screw up "everything" they would be best to keep Randy Futchner and just **** around with all the other stuff.

24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Washington and Johnson was productive in 2019, DJ led all rookie WRs in receptions, and that's with bad QB play.

25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Last season Bud said last season he would sign the tag, I doubt he would be stupid like Bell and sit out the season.