1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How SERIOUS is Ben’s elbow?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerBark, Feb 15, 2020.

1. SteelerBark

SteelerBark Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    With the organization tight lipped as usual, anyone on here worried that BB’s elbow injury could force retirement...much like what happened to Bradshaw? If so, could we bring in a FA or sign a waived QB to rent for a year or two so the talent on DEF isn’t wasted. Or do most of you feel Rudolph can lead this team? I just hope Ben is honest about his condition and doesn’t lead the team astray.

2. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    He is scheduled to have the elbow updated on Feb 22. We will know at that time. He or his ortho doc can't conceal any info because i'm sure they are connected with the Steelers.

So it's wait and see.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I know it’s not throwing a football but if anyone has seen the video of him at the WVU basketball game he no longer had that huge brace on his arm and he didn’t seem very cautious with his arm or elbow putting it around the guys back. I don’t know how much you can actually take from that but at least he has the brace off. We should know a little more next week but we won’t know anything for sure until he’s actually throwing a football.

4. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    At this point all anyone knows is that Ben's Elbow will be that of a Wet Noodle or that of RoboCop. If his first pass is a lazer that is on a rope for a completion the media and fans will go nuts and if it is an ugly duck for pick they will do the same but with an opposite reaction. Nobody knows what surgery was performed and it will be asked a million times with probably the same vague answer. All we know at this moment is time will tell but one thing I think is for certain is that his replacement is not yet on this team and the FO needs to address that concern sooner rather than later.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I get that Ben's replacement is not on the team, but how do you suggest they address this sooner than later? There is no cap room to sign even a marginal Vet QB, they have a 2nd round pick somewhere around 50th in the draft with no capital to move up. With so many other needs, drafting a QB at that time makes little sense. Like it or not the QB situation will be this way for this year, and perhaps next.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Trying to find a diamond in the rough in the 3rd round or later is the only hope but they should seriously look into drafting another QB his year. Mason Rudolph does not scan the field well enough and was handcuffed into mostly short completions. Devlin Hodges was a flash in the pan who was quickly figured out. If Ben is no good going into the season we will be lucky to win four games. I suppose they could look to 2021 for a much higher draft pick but as far as I can tell there is nobody on the current roster that propel the team above .500 at the QB position even though our Defense is finally looking legit.

8. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    I don't even think the Steelers know how he will recover. There aren't many elbow injuries in the NFL. Bradshaw, Delhomme, Montana come to mind. The latter two came back with mixed results. We all know Bradshaw's story. With the amount of cap space he's eating and the dead money attached to it, the Steelers have no choice but to wait and see. Even if Ben comes back and can't throw deep, if he can complete short to mid length passes, we will have a much better offense than last year. With our defense, it may be enough. Peyton Manning was still winning a lot of games after he lost his velocity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    How serious could it be? After all, it has a

Funny bone!
    I'll let myself out...…….

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Like CK 13 stated, February 22 will let us know more about the extent of the injury. As it stands now, all guess work.

11. Iowasteelersfan784

Iowasteelersfan784 Active Member

Jan 6, 2018
    Call me crazy, But I honestly think the Steelers should really take a hard look at Iowa's Nate Stanley. The number of times where I heard commentator's call him big Ben like is more than I can count on my hands and toes. When I first saw him play, I'm like, " this guy is Big Ben". He's got a cannon of an arm, stands tall and will take off and improvise with plays that break down! I think he will be in the 3rd to 5th rounds this year. Plus side, he wouldn't have to change colors!:thumbs_up: All for a possible replacement when Ben decides to hang them up.

12. Steelersfire

Steelersfire Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Id take montana post surgery

13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I think Ben plays next year & the Steelers are already positioned to deal with him not returning. Yes it might get ugly like last year but that helps the front office in the 2021 draft. Mason was drafted to be a backup & that's his ceiling imo. Lynch I'm not sure about. Rated highly coming out of college but dissappointing in Denver.

15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    You're crazy.:smiley1::cool:

16. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

I would say it’s very serious. If he had tj surgery there is a chance he doesn’t make a full recovery. Even with advances to the procedure he has a long road of rehab ahead. I would bet the odds are good he won’t be 100% by the start of the season.

17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Damn. Tommy John. Maybe. If so it's over folks. Still just wait and see still but read that story.

18. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Colbert won't confirm whether it was Tommy John or not, so that means it probably was.

19. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I read the NFL scouting report on Stanley. He's 6'4 and weighs 243. He has a strong arm and is very accurate on short and intermediate throws. He is smart and is a team leader. His weaknesses were not throwing accurately on the run, doesn't have good accuracy on the deep ball and is no threat to run the football.
    If he goes to a team that can pass protect well, he is able to read the defenses and throw accurately for short and intermediate throws but has to improve his accuracy on deep passes.

20. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I bet the odds are 100% that he will never be 100% again, ever. Big Ben at 85% is better than most other NFL starters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Big Ben, probably right. Bad Ben, not so much.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Bad Ben didn't show up much in 2018. Once in his annual Sept. training camp during the regular season against the Clowns & against Jacksonville who has his #.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Ben's elbow could be worse than thought.
    Ben's elbow could be better than thought.
    He is meeting a doctor later in the month. Maybe wait for an actual diagnosis before worrying about it.

The plan was for Ben to be ready to participate in practices in May.
    I don't understand why people expect Ben to be ready now, when "now" is still months away from team practices.

24. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Didn’t Drew Brees have Tommy John Surgery?

Ive read he did have it And I’ve read he didn’t need it and Colbert can’t really say.

I've read he’s had three tendons re-attached, then ligaments and I’ve read neither, it was a torn muscle issue.

All this mis-information worries me. Pouncey let it out that his elbow had been bothering him for a while.

We are built to win now on defense and on offense we’re almost there. We don’t have the cap space or draft picks to re-build or even re-load!!!!

Cajun.
    <><

25. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    He;s been seeing his doctor since september and we wont hear anything new this time other than he can rehab, same old clamp down secrecy on his status.....