1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Myles Garrett again alleges Mason Rudolph called him a racial slur

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hawaii 5-0, Feb 13, 2020.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The problem with this type of civil litigation is that it opens up both parties to giving depositions where any question is fair game and the scope is broad. Good law firms will employee private investigators to dig into the history of the other guy. Best example is in the film The Social Network where Zuckerberg's lawyers ask questions of his best friend about reports of animal abuse and forced canabalism over a chicken he was to carry around as part of a faternity initation.

If Garret has ever used the term cracker, honkey, white devil, whitey, the man or any other slang for white people and was not the target of a flurry of enraged attacks by a white person then it begins to chip away at his credibility. If he has been called the number word before and not assaulted the person it hurts his credibility.

My guess us neither party wants that level of scrutiny at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
  3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    If the NFL ever wants to win their image battle, they should rethink their reinstatement of this clown. They have more than enough resources to deal with litigation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    doesnt justify his actions. if he was a man, and if it were true, he could of handled it like a pro. disrespect to the league right after being reinstated.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    There has to be clear and convincing proof to overturn a call..................and the NFL replay folks ruling after a thorough investigation was there was nothing to substantiate Garrett's claim. Therefore the call is upheld: No racist language was used by MR during the afore-said-mentioned skirmish. :to keep order::rules:

If it was basketball however, MR would have drawn a technical for NOT FLOPPING after getting bashed on the head by his own helmet and continued fighting back. ;)

Final thought - any chance it was Pouncey who uttered the words to Garrett since that's supposedly acceptable? Just saying......

6. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Objection Your Honor! So you now have dual licenses: DDS and ESQ? That should make your patients feel much better about being drilled, filled, billed and then cross examined. ;)

7. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    None of us are lawyers but I see that many of us stayed at the Holiday Inn Express.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Where is Art Hibke when you need him?

9. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Final thought - any chance it was Pouncey who uttered the words to Garrett since that's supposedly acceptable? Just saying......[/QUOTE]

:thumbs up:

10. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Even if Rudolph had called him a stupid n it doesn’t give him the right to assault someone

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    More specificity, he said this before, the league looked into it, and found no evidence.

As an attorney once told me “lie, and stick to your story”.

12. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I can`t believe the NFL is letting this guy play again. Now we have the precedent that using a helmet as a weapon in a fight is merely a partial year suspension offense. Nuts. Dangerous. Ridiculous.

13. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yeah, I thought for sure he would be suspended a few games this year too...

I think that is the problem with Goodell's punishments, there is not uniformity in them .... its all about how bad the public outrage is at that moment. Right now no one is thinking about the incident, and so he go reinstated. If this happened week 1, I think he would have been gone for the year.

I just think it is weird how he waited until now to talk to the media? If Mason said it, why not pursue it and make him pay outside of the game right when it happened?

14. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    We've seen though time and time again long as the guy can play all will be forgotten.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I doubt he said that when about 70% of the league are African Americans. Mason would have to be out of his mind to even think it in his profession. So far not a single player on either team backs up his claim. Considering how many players were involved in the ruckus surely it would have come too light by now. Garrett knows that he's in a corner so he plays the race card. Epic Fail on his part.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    But apparently not an "Epic fail" is his mind nor the repercussions he sustained. He wasn't suspended in any part for the racial claim he made, only for the fight coupled with the helmet swing. I doubt seriously the suspension papers he probably had to sign ever mentioned it. That's why he felt so comfortable right after re-reinstatement to immediately dredge it back up again because he still had some "fouls to give". Also wonder if maybe the good Revs Jesse and Al had a sit down with Goodell to remind him of the landmine he is perched on and to re-think any continued action against MG. All this does now is guarantee that this mess will fester on into this next season and beyond where probably most players from each team were ready to move on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Not necessarily with defamation/slander.

plus, I suspect “conduct unbecoming” is part of the reinstatement.

18. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Here is my thought on it.

Did Mason Rudolph say something to Myles Garrett I'm sure he did. Was it the N word highly doubtful. Did he say you stupid SOB, you something sucker, you a-hole.. something along those lines I'm sure he did. Why else does he swing at him with the helmet?

I don' t think Mason said the stupid n word or the n word.

Mason has a black coach, black teammates (probably had black teammates clear back to high school) I don't think a black man comes to his defense had he said that word.

NO NFL microphone picked up such an action of the word being used. NO NFL ref head anything.

The NFL protecting Rudolph as he claims in crazy. Myles Garrett is one of the best players in the league, they would protect you before they protect a QB who hasn't proved a thing yet.

The biggest thing is the timing. If Rudolph did call him that, why did he not say anything right after the game the day after the game, two days after the game. Garrett brings this up days afterward, as a last ditch to not get suspended the rest of the season.

Even Steven A Smith, said 99.9% of black people wouldn't have waited days to say they were called the N word. It would of been in the news directly after the game.

The sad part for Rudolph is, he has no way to defend himself because there isn't a way to prove that he didn't say it.

So Myles Garrett will get to go on, and Mason Rudolph is going to be left with being labeled a racist.

Hope Rudolph files a defamation of character lawsuit against him.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Go 'lers

Go 'lers Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    I'm going to take a different approach to this...

Putting aside my Steelers fandom, with a serious allegation like this the league should do a thorough investigation. (BTW, I'm not aware if this has happened so please let me know). Then, and only if, all audio and players in the immediate area reveal that the slur was either used or it wasn't can we put this matter to rest.

(and please let me know if this has happened)

I know this isn't a popular position to take but I believe the Steelers are an organization that holds itself to the highest standards in matters like this. Thoughts?

20. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    They did do an investigation a quick one but found no evidence to back up Myles Garrett's claims

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
  22. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    He said/ She said...Who knows, We'll never know...Let it go already...It's a terrible word but, one I would imagine that has been uttered 1000's of times...

Garrett is still trying to, in his warped mine justify his actions...IF Mason did say it, Which in my opinion he didn't...It still doesn't/ never will defend his actions...

Everyone should just let it go... It's just stupid

23. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    People would let it go if MG didn’t keep bringing it to the forefront. That’s why there needs to be repercussions....so he STFU....

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Worst commissioner in all pro sports strikes again. Quick give him a raise!

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Garrett is a lying scumbag...

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1