1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's talk about sensible free agents that might be a Steeler next year

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Roonatic, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Backup QB? not

Dupree's replacement? Some good choices being mentioned on this board

Hargraves replacement? Free agency or the draft? What you think aql?

Will we sign Vannet? Steelers like having three te's. Who are the lower tier tes that are fa? I think if they let Vannet go we will see an ex-Steeler or practice squad guy fill the void.

RB? We have a stable but do we need a starter that can play 10+ games? I say yes, Conner would be a top knotch backup. He would be a top knotch starter but runs too recklessly.

WR? I think we have the horses. Bring back the Alien...:popcorn:

2. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Roonatic said:
    WR? I think we have the horses. Bring back the Alien...:popcorn:

Is that Martavis Bryant? I googled him and am not sure if was reinstated last year.

IDTS. He may be finished. If not, he was an asset.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Hilton, finney, vannett, feiler all need to come back.

Hilton does many things. Slot. Can play FS if needed for a game of two. Tackles pretty well. Sutton and layne are the backups. Would like one of the Ohio state corners added in the draft. Arnette.

Feiler plays well. I don't move him. Strongest lineman we have. This would be a good year to lock him up.

Finney could start. Wants to be here. Gives you that twofer.

Vannett is solid. Can catch, can block. Shouldn't have to break the bank for him. Also wants to be here.

Jordan Jenkins is my target in free agency. 6-7-8-9 million offer. That is a big jump in pay for him, so could be doable.

Draft. :cool:

4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Agree. Although I’m now willing to add McDonald to that list. I don’t think we can get the combination of cheaper and better in FA.

Agree as well. Except I don’t know where we find the pick to spend on a CB. Until it becomes more of a project pick late. I put S above Corner for this year.

Feiler moving? I could go either way. If Chuks or Banner show RT capabable I move Feiler to LG and don’t look back. You spoke about shoring up the interior? There you go. Who else would you want at LG? Inexperienced guy?

Agree.

Agree.

Jenkins would be on my list as potential replacements as well.

5. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Yeah it's MB. I always liked him.

6. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    For sure!

I thought Feiler was already offered a 2nd rd tender. Maybe that was just speculation talk.

7. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    With nothing being a given in this league, I wouldn't even consider letting Vance go. When he is healthy and targeted, he is a difference maker. I know the argument, "He is injury prone." That has never been a solid argument for me. I like Vannett also, and believe if targeted, he can play a prominent role. Beside, they just acquired him, he isn't going anywhere this year.

8. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Vannett seems to want to stay, difficult to know his value. Would $4m - $5m over two years do it? He really hasn’t shown anything to suggest he is going to get big money like Jesse James did.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    WR Moncrief will cost of $1.75mil in dead cap space. Waive goodbye to Switzer What will Cain be able to bring to the table after a full offseason and training camp with the Steelers?

RB, And another last minute rookie question is what can we expect to see from White next season. White has the potential to be the next "Fast" Willie Parker type back for the Steelers. 2019 Avg was 5.1 yards. Give him an offseason with the playbook and watch out. Is a great compliment to Snell, who does not have the speed to get outside.

TE is the major need skill position for the offense. Amazing how many teams in the Superbowl always seem to have an All-Pro TE on their roster. Hoping Gentry can bring something to the field next year.

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Vannett made a little over 700,000 last year. Offer 3 years 6.5-7 mil. Year one 1.5 mil. It doubles last years.

Hilton probably 3 years 10 mil.- 12 mil.

Feiler 3 years 12-14.

Finney 3 years 10- 12.

Could probably sign them all for about 12 mil for this year. Jenkins maybe 8 that would be 5 players for that 20 mil we could easily raise. Keeps the line together, keeps a solid TE, and a good secondary piece and a good replacement for dupree. JMO:cool:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    He and Ben are good friends. He will be on the roster, unfortunately

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    You just made me throw up in my mouth a little..thanks:smiley1:. After being completely outplayed as a PR by DJ ,he really is a waste of a roster spot.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Both Cain and Whyte had very small windows to really make any kind of impact, let alone show what they are capable of. They were on other teams practice squads for a reason, so let's not set the bar to high for expectations. That said, they also came to the team very late, with on offense already in disarray, so what little they did show at least gives some hope for at least some decent depth.

While Whyte's return yards per average were less than Swtizer's I still think that may not be an accurate portrayal of what he could do. He only had 14 returns, and he looks like there is a potential break away...unlike Switzer. He only had 24 carries, and while 5.1 ypc is very good, his quickness and speed to the edge are really intriguing.

Cain's sample size was even smaller, but he had some nice catches (let's not forget who was throwing the ball). The thing I do remember (as I listen to instead of watching the games), was Tunch calling out his downfield blocking a few times during the year. Again the sample size is small, but a WR who can block is always a good Steeler beginning.

15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Except Parker became the starting RB, that's not happening with Whyte.

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Keep dreaming if you think the Steelers are going to pay a free agent 8 million this year.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  17. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    What's Switzer due to make next year? I think that will override his friendship with Ben. If a low # I can see him on the team next year. If say someone like Cain can undercut his pay, maybe he goes.

18. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I'm sure they would give fa (as of now) Dupree at least $12mil.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

instead of paying dupree 16 million? We can sign 4 guys for that. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Switzer 735,000. Cain 585,000.:cool:

21. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    We need a slot receiver that can threaten the middle of the field....not the first 5yds....

22. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
  24. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I don't want to see Switzer either. Just would not be surprised if he is on the roster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1