1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Let Dupree walk!! Target TE Hunter Henry

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Watch video of his sacks. Like most pass rushers, some were aided by pressure from teammates. Some he was the one creating the pressure. He certainly isn't as good as Watt, but that doesn't mean he isn't a key component of the defense.

Barron's improved coverage? What games were you watching this season?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He isn't even close to Kelce. Just stop. Henry set career highs with 55 receptions for 652 yards last season. Kelce's worst season as a starter was 2014, when he caught 67 passes for 862 yards.

Toughness is great, but the guy still has to be able to stay on the field, something Henry can't do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Is Henry really that good or just that we can get him for the right money? If it’s the money, keep Dupree by slapping the Franchise tag on him.

4. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I like Kelce...... and Availability is very important!!!! But this narrative that Henry is injury prone is wrong..... and ACL, Lacerated Kidney And Fractured knee are injuries that costs him games but that’s football!!! Injury prone is a different category and if you don’t know that I’m not wasting my time trying to convince you...

When Henry is on the Field he’s as good if not Better than Kelce!!!

Kelce catches 70% of his targets... Hunter 72%...... Both Avg 12 yds per rec..... Kelce had 5 TDs in 16 gms and Hunter had 5TDs in 12 gms....... But they play TE, Not WR And Hunter is considerably The Better Blocker!!!! His Run blocking was Key to the Chargers Run game.....

I’d much rather have a great blocker at TE that also a rec weapon than an extra OT!!!!

I may once again be alone here but I stand by what I’ve said until someone proves me wrong!!!! Hunter would be more valuable to this team than Dupree and at a lower cost it’s not even Close!!!

Cajun
    <><

5. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Dupree’s play has definitely improved and he is due and much better contract than his rookie deal....

Question is how different will this defense look next year vs last year With Tuitt playing and Fitz now at Safety and replace Dupree with Ola/Skipper!!! Better? The same?? Worse??? Is it worth 16-19mil to keep Dupree???

Cajun
    <><

6. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Important to remember that if Dupree leaves the Steelers will almost certainly get a compensatory third round pick in 2021 for him at a time when they will really need to reload. Picking up a big time FA like Henry will likely push that pick down the board, although I’m not an expert on the formula they use.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Neither......

8. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I’m not an expert either but remember Hargrave is leaving via FA and he’ll probably also bring a 3rd rd pick(??).... TE Nick Varnett will also most likely leave and we should get something there...... BJ Finney May give us a decent comp pick as well IF he signs a Nice Contract!!!

We’ll definitely need them to help us reload!!

If we do let Dupree walk and sign Hunter Henry (TE) then we can sign a top RB with our 2nd rd pick which should solidify our Offense and use the other picks on DL & OL

Cajun
    <><

9. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Have you Watched him Play???

Cajun
    <><

10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Not a whole lot but I know all I need to, can't stay healthy is big time and a weak FA class will drive his price up well above what we can spend id the Chargers don't tag him first.

11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The ones that he was the one creating pressure got him ranked 65th. All his peers were judged under the same criteria unless you think he was unfairly judged? I never said he wasn’t a key component....last year. The argument still remains, his signing comes at the expense of what other players, who are also key components of the team.

Barron must of been doing something right to be on the field for 750 snaps. He had his lackadaisical moments but like Dupree was a key component to a team that was 3rd against the pass I believe.

The debate isn’t over whether Dupree had a good season. The debate is over what it’s gonna take to keep him and if it’s worth it at the end. Your opinion is...yes. Myself and quite a few others is...no.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Exactly. I mentioned it previously as well. That also has to factor in when trying to decide the right course of action for Dupree. You are potentially sacrificing a lot especially when your only hope right now rests on the surgically repaired throwing elbow of a 38yr old QB, who hasn’t been cleared to throw tennis balls 5 months later.

• Like Like x 1
  13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  14. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Good point re Hargrave and Finney

A full complement of picks in 2021 plus a clutch of compensatory picks would give the team great ammunition to move up and get their next QB and generally start rebuilding with young talent.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    The point is, all of this discussion is 100% moot because we don't have an OC who knows how to use a TE. Pick whoever you believe to be the top three TE's in the league and on the Steelers they would be the same as McDonald and Vannett.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I Hate you and your Truth!!!!
    Stupid Fitchner!!!!

Cajun
    <><

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  17. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Not really if you are counting on the return of Ben. In 2018 Mcdonald and JJ had 50 and 30 receptions respectively. So if we are putting all our eggs in Ben’s basket we need to worry about who our TEs are. I think McDonald and Vannett would be a good enough tandem. Problem is keeping one and getting the other under contract.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I have this nagging feeling in the back of my head that Futchner will adapt this year but I can't explain why. I have lost faith in the Steelers ownership and I saw the glaring weakness in Futchner last year when Ben wasn't there to cover it up.........but they are still the Steelers and I have trusted them for 50 years!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    True, I have said all along that Ben has hidden Futchners weaknesses for a while and we saw it last year. But if Ben comes back, and we start to use our TE's, we need good ones. And as you pointed out, and I have been barking about, all of our eggs are in Ben's basket.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Conversation is probably irrelevant, Chargers will probably tag Henry and if they don’t the Pats, Colts, Cardinals and others will be chasing his signature. Steelers wouldn’t have a hope of signing him when they are up against teams with loads of cap space.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Really !!! U trying to join the Hate Club!!
    Stupid Cap Situation!!

Cajun
    <><

• Like Like x 1
  22. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Colbert mentioned McDonald in the future tense, so he may be still on board. This is what I would like to happen with them adding another TE in the draft, one preferably strong in the blocking dept.

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/02/k...gests-vance-mcdonald-in-teams-plans-for-2020/

Makes all the sense in the world to me. Keep your receiving type TE in McDonald who has chemistry with Ben and add a strong blocker type TE in the draft to keep McDonald out of the trenches.

Boom done.

23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I have been on the cut Vance's butt bandwagon however since the season ended and looking at the FA class I have come to think we are better off keeping Vance. I look at how he performed with Ben and understand if he puts up the same kind of season as 2018 he is well worth the money. Now where you and I differ is getting another blocking type. I disagree not that I don't want a blocker but I want back up for Vance since he has never played 16 games in a season. This draft is loaded IMO at TE and some are receiver/blocker types and I am fine with that Pinkney is one.

Just like last season when many of us were screaming for another TE to replace JJ and all we had was Grimble who never showed he could do it I am not set to see Gentry take that next step. What happened we had to trade for Vannett, so in a draft that has a lot to offer(IMO) at the TE spot I want one who can open the field and step in when we let Vance walk in 2021. I get the importance of a blocking TE but let's face it A) it has become a passing league and B) we have Banner we bring in as a blocker as well. No offense this is jmo. :smiley1:

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Please provide evidence to support your claim that Henry is a better blocker than Kelce.

Did you actually just write that you would rather have Hunter Henry than Travis Kelce? Why should anyone take your opinion seriously after a comment like that?

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  25. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I agree, I'm not sure Gentry is ready for the next step. We will see in training camp. But he is more of the receiving type than blocker.

So that would be two receiving guys in Vanimal and Gentry. Getting a proficient blocker helps keep McDonald and Gentry from doing it, helps the run game, keeps pressure off the QB and we don't have to rely on a T who may or may not be available. If Finney and Foster go and Feiler moves to LG, we have Chuks and Banner at RT. That leaves a slim margin for injuries. We need another TE anyway.

I don't like Pinkney in the least. He's had a lot of drops and is not a blocker. And I don't like Hopkins from Purdue either tbh. Harrison Bryant from Florida Atlantic is actually pretty good at both and he is my top choice right now if looking for a "decent at both" type. Mackey award winner this year and I would grab him with our 3rd comp if he was available. I think he is gone early 3rd though. Bryant does need some more strength for the trenches I'll admit, so McKeon from Mich or Farrell from Ohio State would be more in-line guys imo and probably a better choice than Bryant tbh.

I see the allure of the receiving threat TE, hell I wanted Evan Engram pretty bad when he came out, but I just think the timing is bad for that version this year. 2021 draft is another story. The edges of our O-line need some help and a TE who is more athletic than a T can aid with that imo.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 1