1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's talk free agent QB's

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I am amazed at the people who actually argue that the Steelers would be better without Ben. So, just for ****s and giggles, I took a look at the list of free agent QB's. First off, I was shocked at how many there are, and I had a few knee jerk reactions.

1. Phillip Rivers at #4....please God no! Would love to hang with the guy, love his family devotion, hugely over-rated!
    2. Who the hell is Taysom Hill at #6?
    3. At #13 Chad Henne could tide us over till we see if Ben can recover.
    4. At #16 Josh McCown could also tide us over and while he is a million years old he is considered the consummate team-mate.
    https://www.fftoday.com/nfl/freeagents.php

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    He's the guy who used to play all over for the Saints. They liked him as a hybrid who might replace Brees, but then Brees didn't retire and they liked Hill more as a utility guy than a bona fide starter.

He's up on the list because he's scored a lot of TDs, but no idea how he would be in another system.

3. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    My initial reaction to the list was surprise that guys like Drew Stanton are in their mid-30s when I thought they were mid-20s. Damn you, passage of time, you win again.

There are quite a few teams this year who are going to need a starting QB. I think a few of these guys are going to be overpaid. But there's nobody there who leaps out as enough of an upgrade from what we already have, that we could actually afford.

If we were starving for a back ups, there's a few I'd have a look at further down the list - Mannion, Bortles (yes, Bortles). But Rudolph still looks like the best option behind Ben.

4. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I really like Taysom Hill but the Saints like him and use him a lot. Can run and throw, but I think they want him as Drew's replacement. He is way better then any backup we have.

5. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Get Mike Glennon just so he can't jump on a team and beat us.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    We couldn't get Taysom Hill regardless of what you think of him. Its a well known fact they will put a 1st round tender on him. WE don't have a 1st round pick.

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Don't get your hopes up Art II already said they probably won't sign a free agent QB, also they don't have the money.

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The Saints like Taysom Hill so much that when Brees went down they gave the keys to the franchise to Teddy Bridgewater. If Hill was remotely close to being a franchise QB, and their true QB of the future, he would have gotten a shot then.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I'm with Nancy Reagan on this one....Just say No! to FA QBs this year. :lolol:

Team can't afford one and they'll be in the red if they franchise Bud. I'm good with Rudolph as the no. 2.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Taysom Hill is great for running trick plays and the like but has he even started one game at QB? Can he make all the throws?

Blake Bortles on a really really team friendly deal is not the worst idea I have ever heard. He has starter experience and has actually played well at times in his career. That said, ‘bad’ Blake Bortles is very bad indeed.

11. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    this is where the Steelers will be shopping at in free agency this year:

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Here's the Josh McCown highlight reel from the Eagles loss to the Seahawks just in case you missed it.....

download.gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I could be wrong, hell, it has to happen sooner or later:cool: but I see no future for any of the QB's we have behind Ben. Combine this with the fact that we have all of our eggs in the Ben basket, and I would love to ship three of the four of them off in exchange for one veteran who could fill in if Ben gets an unrelated injury and is out for 4 weeks. Or, ship three of the four off in exchange for any player who can contribute and go get one of the free agents with that money.

At the end of the 2020 season, we need to do a forklift upgrade at QB anyway and average back up QB's are easy to find.

14. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    I heard from reliable sources that we're signing Tom Brady. After all these years hating the #$!@&!*# it's going to fell weird cheering for him.

BTW, the reliable source are the voices in my head. Insanity is fun.

15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    You almost had me!

At least insanity relieves us from responsibility:cool:

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Andy dalton at a more stable environment?:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I think that is very valid. Any team outside of Ohio.... right?

• Like Like x 1
  18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

The problem with this is Duck was only capable of scoring 10 points a game :facepalm:.

19. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    And the biggest problem of all is that with Mason and especially Duck on the field the number of three and outs is crazy, putting even more pressure on the defence.

It really is incredible how well the defence played last year given we lost the time in possession battle in virtually every game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Turnovers were the great equalizer. The problem is TOs are unpredictable and there have been plenty of seasons we couldn’t buy one. That’s why I’m cautiously optimistic about the defense having a repeat performance and not simply expecting it.

• Like Like x 1
  21. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    They TO’s did slow towards the end of the season though after a great burst once Minkah arrived. Steelers gave the balk away plenty themselves.

I hope you are right about the defence

22. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Nope, no, hell no, and pass.

23. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    so do you think Rudolph is a below average back up?

Rudolph is only in year 3 and they held on to Landry effin Jones like a raccoon with a shiny penny. I definitely want to see what MR does with a QB coach. Plus he's on a rookie contract and spending money on a vet FA when you have invested draft capital and are already shopping the bargain bins seems backwards. I'd roll with MR's potential and money savings.

After next season, I think they will address the situation somehow someway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I hung on to "liking" MR like a racoon with a shiny penny but when I started to observe his fundamentals I went back and watched highlight films of his college career and the same fundamental flaws are still there. Yes he is only in year 3 but he has been through countless practices during the first two years and he still throws wobble balls from his back foot. That's what he threw in college and most of his success in college was on go routes where his wobble ball could only be caught by his receiver. Now his wobble balls are behind crossing receivers and either picked off or going to get a receiver killed.

I completely get the money issue.