1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Time to Cut Ben and move on!!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Feb 11, 2020.

1. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    https://syndication.bleacherreport....-big-ben-find-qb-in-2020-free-agency.amp.html

Another interesting read today.

There’s no doubt Ben has been on a decline. He no longer has AB bailing him out or the go to Bell!! He is limited in his mobility and the OL did struggle in 19’..... let’s also remember he just had Three tendons re-attached.

My question to you is...... how valid is this reports suggestion?? What are our true AND Beat option heading into 2020??

Cajun
    <><

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Our best option is to treat him the same way they treated Ward and Polamalu. Show him the door. It sucks, but his play is definitely on the decline and he isn’t worth the 35 million dollar price tag. We might suck for a year or two while finding a suitable replacement, but the odds are good we will suck with him as well. Best to let him walk and keep other younger pieces together

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I’m not sure there is any financial advantage to cutting Ben this year. Not gonna happen anyway. They will give him every chance to make a comeback. Next year if he plays very poorly this season it should at least be a discussion that needs to happen.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I have plenty of doubts.

He is not as good as 2014, but that was a peak year.
    If you are saying he is unlikely to reach his peak again, I will agree with that.

But look at the 4 year period from 2015-2018.
    In every meaningful metric, 2018 was equal to or better than the previous 3 years: rating, completion %, INT %, yards/game, and sack %.
    2018 was also the only year since 2014 where Ben started every game.
    I don't see the decline.

(I suppose having an injury that affected him in 2 games and kept him out of 14 more games would count as a "decline", but that isn't how people normally talk about it.)

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    They are 100% all in with Ben because of his contract. There is not enough savings to justify cutting him now, even if they wanted to.

If he does not perform in 2020 I doubt he is back to 2021 though as there is an option in his contract for 2021

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    This is a stupid article written by someone who was desperate to write about something......anything. And a stupid premise. The Steelers are NOT going to cut him so to write an article about is dumb. Nor should they. He is still better than anyone we could ever realistically get in free agency, and even if we got Brees or Brady it would be a last ditch effort which is what we already have with Ben.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Using your time frame 15-18 let’s look closer.... Ben has All-pro AB And All-Pro Bell..... Bell sat out 18 But Connor played and was named a Pro-Bowler. Also during this time frame only Rivers & Winston Threw more ints!!! In 2018 only 23 QBs threw 75 passes over 15 yds and the lowest completion of 40% were Allen, Rosen, Trubisky and Big Ben.....

In 19 before he went out he was just bad, due to his elbow no doubt, but without AB, Bell, and a Connor and McDonald who can’t stay on the field And A Question mark with JuJu and a Repaired throwing elbow will Ben return to his ..... Glory days???

Cajun
    <><

9. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    We can get back 19 mil. of the 31 next year if he’s cut. This year is only 8.5 out of the 33 (approximately)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I do agree, they are 100% in on Ben and he isn’t going anywhere. There is a chance he isn’t here 2021 but even that is a long shot.

The article is just raising some talking points as many others do during this slow time. Some valid some not.

Cajun
    <><

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Definitely the off season with these types of articles. No news so make something up that there is no chance of happening and see who falls for it.

12. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Yes that is correct I had a lengthy discussion with another poster a while back about those figures. No point cutting him this year, nor would I want them to. There is a chance he comes back and plays well after all.

I heard on one of the podcasts during the week that when you have the type of surgery he has had (reattaching ligaments in the elbow) the arm is often stronger afterwards as the ligament is shortened. Bombs away !!

• Like Like x 1
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Bleacher report :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Where anybody can be a writer and the points don't matter

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    This exactly. The Steelers are going to give Ben every chance to make a comeback this season. The author of the article can suggest cutting Ben all he wants, but it's not going to happen.

16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Classic example of a knee jerk article. Writer simply wants to get a rise out of the fanbase. To an extent, it worked.

Probably not as well as the writer would have hoped though..

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Ben deserves another chance, but chances are good... he's not going to make any significant impact on wins/losses. Steelers are still a .500 team, give or take a game with Ben at QB. Ceiling is 9-7.... floor is 6-10.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree he's not going anywhere. :cool:

19. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Really kind of sad looking at the future for the Steelers. Ben will be under center for sure next season. No way we get near the SB for years to come. I'm guessing the Bengals will be getting a future superstar QB. Ravens and Browns have a better QB at the moment. The Chiefs will be a force for years to come. Duck and Deer are not big time QB's.

I just can't see the Steelers ever sucking so bad we only win 2-3 games a year but I can see many seasons ahead like the 80's.

Maybe Tomlin will pull a rabbit out of his hat and somehow keep this team relevant.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  20. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I think the article has a point but just not the evidence given to make the point.

21. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    THIS^^^ is the logical reason they cannot cut him this year. We have no idea how Ben will...but an 80% Ben is still better than the bottom half of the QB's in the league. If he sucks..oh well then we know. The article is quite stupid actually, saving the 8.5 mill while adding the rest against the cap would not only negate the ability to sign the QB's he mentions, but also the ability to keep the players we need to try and keep. The latter is going to be hard enough with the limited space we have..even making moves to get some spare cash.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Why waste time on the dumb talking points. Based on the dead money, cutting Roethlisberger now makes no sense.

• Agree Agree x 4
  23. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    one need only look at last season's adventures in quarterbacking from Rudolph and duck to know how valid that article is

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He will leave on his own terms. Not to say he is over priced these next two years
    and that his skill set has eroded.

25. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I don't follow? What do the adventures of MR and Duck have to do with the foolishness of cutting Ben?

• Informative Informative x 1