1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Ben's Career in a nutshell:

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersfan35, Feb 7, 2020.

1. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    You act like you fronted the steelers the money to pay Ben. How much are 2 Lombardi's worth?

• Like Like x 1
  2. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I don't know, but I'll sign a petition to have them do it again.

But since history is the greatest teacher, let's do it right this time...sign the qb, get 2 rings out of him, and then trade him immediately for another one who can get us 2 more. Let's only keep them until they show signs of maturing so we don't spend 10 years spinning our wheels.

Sign him to a contract with a crotch rocket and night club passes as part of the signing bonus and have Deebo punch him in the appendix. Guaranteed 2 championships. Rinse and repeat.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Just seems pretty expensive for only 2 Superbowl wins 260 million?

4. Steelersfire

Steelersfire Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Wrong.

5. Steelersfire

Jan 17, 2019
    Brady went to like 10 Super Bowls in a row for the afc. 2 Super Bowl wins for us is amazing in that context. You sound like you just don’t like football players for making a lot of money regardless

6. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Try

HOF 'er.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Compared to what? Somebody could do the analysis using inflation to see who cost what & how many rings are they wearing. My guess is Ben is not the kleptomaniac he is looking like. He might be though.

8. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    According to the Business Insider as of 2020, Ben is the 6th highest career earner playing/played in the NFL. (NFL funds not including endorsements)

1. Eli the great
    2. Peyton over-rated Manning
    3. Drew prop up Payton Brees
    4. Marsha
    5. Ahole, oops ARod
    6. Big Ben

Ben falls between the fraud Marsha & Eli with Lombardis:
    SB Lombardis:
    Marsha- who cares
    Big Ben- 2
    Eli- 2
    Peyton- 2
    Brees- 1
    Ahole- 1

Ben & Peyton made it to three SBs.
    Marsha doesn't count in the real world

I will try to post the link.

Not real internet savvy so try

Businessinsider.com
    NFL 37 highest paid players of all time.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I think Ben getting the franchise to 3 Superbowls winning 2 of them is worth the money. I wonder how much teams like the Lions, Browns etc would gladly spend just to appear in one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    How much then? If he plays these next 2 years? How much will the Steelers have paid him?

11. Steelersfire

Jan 17, 2019
    Did you watch this past season?

hypothetical:
    if you had a choice to repeat with Mason or have Ben with 40/60 chance he’ll be like in 2018 as THE HIGHEST PAID QB in the league, what would you choose?

jk that’s not a hypothetical it’s the situation as is basically...

but regardless, his value the past 5 years speaks for itself. Jared Goff makes the same amount, I mean come on! I would have loved if Ben took less but I don’t see a reason to complain as fans relative to other qb production.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  12. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    If you divide the 200M by the two SB's you get 100M per SB. Factor in MT's inability to beat BB, manage the clock, know when to challenge, hire good co-coordinators, and then divide that by the square root of your zip code and I am okay with Ben's money:smiley1:

1. The Steelers haven't done much to put good coaching around Ben.
    2. The Steelers allowed an undisciplined, unaccountable, team to grow around Ben.
    3. The Steelers haven't done much to prepare for life after Ben.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Did he??? In his 1st SB he was historically bad!!! In his 2nd SB he was better but without a Tremendous All-Time Great SB defensive play resulting in a TD the Steelers probably loose.

Maybe Ben “ Received “ Two SB rings during his wild and free stage.....

Cajun
    <><

14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You're forgetting that Roethlisberger was fantastic in the three playoff games getting the Steelers to Super Bowl XL. He also led them on a game-winning touchdown drive in the final minutes even after the offensive line took a holding penalty on the first play of the possession.

• Like Like x 2
  15. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    No, I haven’t forgotten but conveniently neglected to include his winning game efforts due to it wasn’t helpful on creating doubt that Ben won those SBs!!!

Ben Didn’t win those SBs.... He didn’t put the team on his shoulders and carry them. He was a very integral part though

Cajun
    <><

• Like Like x 1
  16. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I think your missing the gist of the debate I am asking if 2 superbowl wins are worth 260 million dollars?
    That is all I am asking.

17. Steelersfire

Jan 17, 2019
    If you had a chance to pay a qb 500 million dollars over the next decade for 2 Super Bowls, you immediately agree or you quit football forever.

there are 32 freaking teams in the league!

And if you have a problem with athletes getting paid 1000x more than teachers, I agree 100% but that’s the world we live in so get used to it.

18. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Quite frankly, the last thing we as fans should worry about is money. The salary cap is a fake number and when a team needs to manipulate it, they do. The Steelers have always found ways to handle the distribution of money and for us to get rid of the only chance we have to win a SB, just because he makes a lot of money, is crazy.

Think of money in the NFL as if it were Monopoly money laying on the street......it means nothing. The owners are billionaires who write the rules and apply them only when it serves them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No player wins a Super Bowl by himself, but he was a huge component of three teams that made the Super Bowl, including two that won it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't worry about it in terms of the owners having to spend. They are making money every year. Revenue sharing and the salary cap make sure of that.

I do worry in that there is only so much manipulating you can do. That last extension the Steelers gave Roethlisberger was a mistake. It was greed on his part, showing just one way he fails to stack up to Brady, and the team should have known better. Whatever window keeping him might leave open for 2020, the massive drain on the salary cap makes it very difficult for the Steelers to take advantage.

21. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I understand exactly what you are saying but I guess I look at it this way.

1. I just don't believe the Steelers organization could be duped by Ben's greed.
    2. Somehow, some way, owners always seem to be able to move money around making the salary cap meaningless.
    P.S. Ben fails to stack up to Brady because Ben has Tomlin and Brady has Belichick:cool:

22. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Sorry I am not.

23. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Worth it to me. My out of pocket portion of that $260M is precisely zero, so that number means nothing. What means something to me is that my favorite team won the Lombardi's.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Teachers and athletes are both highly overpaid.

25. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Zero?