1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Let Dupree walk!! Target TE Hunter Henry

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Feb 11, 2020.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    To answer the first question ...both. I believe our TE production and usage were around 5th or 6th in production and receptions in 2018. If I remember reading that correctly. I would think we are ok if we bring back Vannett on the cheap and McDonald if we don’t resign Dupree. At least for the Big Ben revival tour next year. For the future we will need a receiver type TE. I wouldn’t be opposed to drafting a blocker late as you said though.

2. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

name me one season that henry was available for more than 10 games...…… for all his considerable talent, he simply gets hurt quite often... and that includes when he was a back up, so how is this not accurate

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Henry has never played in all 16 games in a season. He missed all of 2018 with an injury. He missed four games last season.

He and McDonald are both injury concerns, but over the last two seasons, McDonald has played in 29 games. Henry has played in 12. No way Henry is worth big money.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    This ignores that the proper way to look at a pass rusher's statistics is sacks and pressures together. You are ignoring the one that doesn't fit your argument. Pressure is great, but you have to get there sometimes as well.

5. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I’m not sure but aren’t the sacks also included as a pressure? Either way both stats can also be attributed to coverage as well and there’s no denying that has improved significantly behind him. I consider his low pressure rate and his ranking alarming,no matter how you slice it, especially with such a strong supporting cast...jmo

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree, Vance should return to form with Ben back under center. He’s not as good as Hunter but he’s still a weapon when involved with the game plan.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Would rather target Darren Fells. 6'7" TE that is athletic, can block and a massive target hahah

8. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    hope they let dudpree go..find a solid reliable fa player at edge , te , and qb.
    draft youth on the ol , te, and edge and let the training begin.
    depree did better bc of the clutch supporting cast around..have someone solid there and the d will be great still . simply need quality qb play and things will be lit again.
    do what ever but get a solid vet back up to ben and let rudolf groom to be a back up

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  9. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree would much rather have Vance over HH especially if all our eggs are in the Ben basket, he and Vance have a connection. I was on the cut Vance bandwagon mainly because of the savings. However since looking at it the FA market is bad so who do we replace him with? Also looking at his club option this year it isn't all that bad compared to others at that position. Right now before FA he is 13th in salary at TE. He also has a club option next year so let's see what we have this year with Ben and make a decision net year.

That leads to drafting a guy to replace him next year. I say don't bring back Vannett and draft one and give him the snaps Vannett would have gotten. I love this TE class and there is guys IMO would fit us in just about every round. Obwuegbunam, Bryant(both Hunter and Harrison), Trautman, Pinkney, Deguara and Magnifico and just some I have seen. I am different than most I want a pass catcher, the NFL is a passing league and that is what I want out of my TE first. We bring in Banner enough anyways on running plays so I feel a block first TE is a waste. jmo

10. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    This is a good point and if you add to this the fact that "pressure" stats can be wildly skewed, I wouldn't worry about it; his pressure can lead to TJ's sack and that may not even show up. Hell, I remember in Ray Lewis' last two seasons....if he was on the field he got credit for the tackle.

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You are correct in pointing out the flaws in using quarterback pressures as a statistic. I just didn't even want to dig into that can of worms.

I'd like to see everyone using that statistic watch a game's worth of plays on tape for one player and tell me which times he got an official pressure. I doubt I could do it and have it match up to the numbers mentioned above.

12. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Or TJs pressure could lead to Duprees sacks, or Heywards All-Pro season or Nelson’s coverage over every other RCB we’ve had prior, or Barron’s improved coverage from ILB, or all of the above. See how we can do this all day. The stat is the stat so it can be skewed in either direction. The fact is the stat has him ranked where he is based off of the criteria they used. I’m sure they used the same for all the players they tracked. Unless there’s a personal vendetta against Dupree. I’m not much of a stat guy myself but if you’re gonna live by the sword...die by it. 65th in creating QB pressures. Sacks don’t tell the whole story either....

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I don't think there was any kind of vendetta, I just don't care that stats say he was unproductive when my eyes tell me otherwise, because stats can make any point you want to make.

Hell, stats can prove that Duck is a better QB than Ben because Duck won 3 games last year and Ben won 0. That being the case, I think they should wave the 5 year wait and induct Duck into the HOF now!:smiley1:

14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree based on the eye test he had his best season to date. There are many theories as to why. All of them are part of the discussion on whether to keep Dupree or not. You can take that statistic just like just about every other statistic you want and try to sway things in one’s own direction. What I’m saying is the stat is the stat and I’m quite sure they used the same criteria for all the players they rated. I’m sure if the stat favored one’s position it would be used in favor of one’s opinion but just because it’s not favorable doesn’t automatically mean it should be dismissed as a flawed statistic. That’s why I’m not a stat guy but some are especially when it works in their favor....lol

• Like Like x 1
  15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Yeah it is amazing not many were piping in when we were hot and heavy about Dupree vs the FA's. There is so many options out there but we don't know how to read stats or anything.........just sayin! :shrug::hehehe::drinks:

16. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Will we know just how much he commands in time to decide how to use the money otherwise? Or should we just assume it will be high and plan on spending the money elsewhere?

17. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  18. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I was just about to post this.. I remember quite a few times watching the opposing scramble right into Duprees lap because he was getting pressured by watt and others.. I'd be all for cutting him and signing Henry since if they do franchise tag him he'll only be here 1 more year anyway

19. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I personally look at hits, pressure, sacks, FF, TFL, all of it mainly because I’m a sofa Head Coach........ I once read where Belichek said he didn’t care nearly as much about sacks as he did QB Pressure..... Sacks produced an end to a play with mostly negative yards, BUT QB Pressure would change a game from creating more opportunities of turnovers and a change in the game plan....... I don’t know, I was just mentioning what the article said.......

Cajun
    <><

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Good luck......

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

21. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    2016.... played 15 games
    2017.... played 14 games
    2018.... missed reg season, played one playoff game
    2019..... played 12 games.....

2016. On 10/23 concussion , returned next gm
    On 10/23 knee sprain, finished game, missed next then returned

2017. On 12/16 Lacerated Kidney wk 15, missed final two games

2018. Grade 3 ACL in OTA, missed reg season, returned in the playoffs

2019. On 9/8 vs the Colts in gm 1 took a low hit to the knee, fractured knee, finished the game, returned game 6 vs the Steelers and finished the season.....

It takes a serious injury to get him out of the game and His toughness should never be doubted....

And when Healthy he is as good as Any TE in the league And he’s only 25.

What he could do for this team is considerable And 8-9 mil per is cheap....

Austin Hopper and Kelce are both 25/26 & make over 9 mil per

Cajun
    <><

22. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Thanks scribe, was ready to research it myself. Saved me some time. :thumbs up:

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    • Agree Agree x 2
  25. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    We won’t know. The tag deadline is March 10, and teams can’t talk to other teams’ free agents until March 16.