1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB Depth Chart

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersfan35, Feb 6, 2020.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree with you. The way this team is currently constructed,this isn’t a legitimate SB threat. The O is built around Ben and for the next year he gives us the only realistic chance of getting to a SB. It would have to be a healthy and effective Ben. That being said what is the point of a solid back up and at what cost. If you are telling me Ben is back healthy and effective but might miss a few games then I would say MR can win a few of those games. If you tell me Ben’s arm falls off week 2. What’s the point of spending money on a solid back up? It doesn’t answer any questions for the future and stunts the growth of any potential we may have with our young stable.

2. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Well by mobility in TBs case it’s the ability to sense pressure and use whatever mobility he does have to buy time. It’s a skill nonetheless...

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    look no further then Tom brady. One and done. I'm sure they had no interest in that either. So mason and this team were just one game short of the goat and the great ne patriots? :hmm::cool:

4. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    The same people are saying TB is washed up. He had a revolving door at OL and at the skill positions. Tell me if they fix the OL and add a weapon or 2 they’re not right back in the conversation of SB teams. You bet they would be...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I agree, but even though it's weak at the moment, the NFC East can be unpredictable. Eagles, Giants and Cowboys could improve drastically from '19 - '20. It's happened before. AFC South has Titans and Texans who are both better than the Steelers right now.... and Jax always plays us well even when they suck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    And I missed winning the lottery by 4 simple numbers, that doesn't make me a financial genius. Comparing your team to the worst example that fits your theory isn't very compelling.

7. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I don’t think winning the lottery makes you a financial genius either...just sayin ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  8. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Look no further than the AFC East last year. Every year is different.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I see three things as fact or damn close:
    1. With the back up QB's we have, we have no chance of a playoff run if Ben isn't out there.
    2. If Ben misses more than three games, we probably don't make the playoffs even when he comes back.
    3. A young QB cannot make up for Fuchtner's weakness, I believe only a savvy vet can.
    We have a one-two year window and all of our eggs are already in Ben's basket, unless we pull off a miracle and get Brees or Brady which I don't think they would even try. So trade all of our backups for a solid vet who could fill in admirably in the event goes down for a few games. If Ben is already done, we are at square one anyway as far as QB.

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    There has to be a pocket for a qb to step up into or a place he can slide too. We didn't have that. Until we revamp and upgrade the offensive line, get a legit number 1 deep threat, fb, and rb we are what we saw last year. Marcus Marriotta, Case Keenum, or Jesus, it won't matter. These things make the rest better. It will make Ben better too. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Buffalo will likely surpass New England this year in the AFC East.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    you are the one that said you were not interested in one and done. You also are saying how bad this team was. I'm just showing you there is a fine line in this league and it's not as good or bad as some are making it out to be. :cool:

13. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Exactly! I think people are really quick to say an elite guy is washed up when he falls from his pedestal a little bit. They think "oh he isn't near as good as he was three years ago" but guess what, TB and Ben and Aaron Rodgers are all still top QB's in the league and give their team the best chance to win a SB.

14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    With terrible OL play, constantly injured skill players, no running game, no QB coach and a poor performance from our OC we still managed to win 8 games. MR winning 5 of them. Without improvements in those areas as great as Ben is he isn’t going to be able to overcome it. It’s not like we can trade all our young QBs straight up for a vet back up. With so many other holes to fill,where do we find this money for a vet back up? One you would feel comfortable with over a young guy whose been in the system for 2 years and managed to piece together 5 wins with everything stacked against him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    But using the mighty Patriots one and done scenario of last year doesn't prove that we were close to ANYTHING! The 2018 Steelers were one of the most talented teams in the NFL and didn't make the playoffs. My point is that one-off examples don't prove ****:cool:

For example, people us the 2005 Steelers as an example of how a 6 seed can win it all. But the facts behind that season are that the Steelers were 1st or 2nd ranked team in the NFL at week 10 when they suffered catastrophic injuries including Ben, they tumbled to the 6th seed but when those injured players came back, we were once again one of the top few teams in the NFL.

16. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Yeah, but Ben was 23 years old in 2005 and healed quickly. There's a big difference between playing QB at 23.... vs 38 after an elbow injury to his throwing arm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    2018 with no kicker and no defense. We were barely one of the most talented teams top to bottom. 9-6-1. This year with less talent our two untested qbs went 8-6. Again a fine line in this league. :cool:

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Thats based on the prior Ben not the post surgery Ben, right now we dont know what this season will bring, I'm sure he wont be the same as before, when he starts throwing a football, griping it and getting a full extension in his throwing arm will answer this big glaring question mark?

19. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Buffalo needs 2 ball catchers, another year to jell for the best QB in his draft class & no shenanigans from their locker-room imo.

20. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Bills are drafting in the first round, so they can get a good WR.

21. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Try to keep up my friend:facepalm: I was using that example as how it's a bad idea to use one single event as proof of something. Just because the Steelers won the SB as the 6 seed in 2005 doesn't mean it's easy to do. There were reasons why they fell to the 6th seed by the end of the season.

Do you walk to work or carry our lunch?:smiley1:

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    No, it's based on Ben .......period. That's my point. As this team is configured right now at QB, Ben is our "only" chance. If Ben comes back strong we have a chance, if he doesn't, we don't.

23. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Ummmm, don't bet more than you can afford to lose on that!

24. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Ben will come back and throw 4000 yards 40 tds with 100+ passer rating. He is like fine wine

• Like Like x 1
  25. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I don't see what's funny about Buffalo winning the AFC East next year. If Brady is not QB for the Patriots.... Bills will wipe the floor with them.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2