1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Let Dupree walk!! Target TE Hunter Henry

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Feb 11, 2020.

1. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Signing Hunter Henry won't fix the Steelers offense. Fitchner won't use him much. They could sign Gronk and there would still be only 2 targets per game.

I'd like to see Bud stay as he just had his best season to date but some team will offer the moon and then our pass rush will again be dormant.

3. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    for all his talent, hunter henry finds himself on the injured list more often then mcdonald

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    don’t we already have a te with problems staying healthy? Why sign another to an even larger contract?

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    nah keep the defense intact. It's been a while since we had a dominant edge pass rush. Let me enjoy it

6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    If only there was some way to keep other teams from even having the chance to make Dupree an offer. Oh, wait...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    RFA?

8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Franchise tag.

9. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yes and No thanks to HH

10. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    This Simply is not only false but not even close to being accurate.

Cajun
    <><

11. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    According to the Article out of 102 edge rushers with at least 200 rushing attempts Dupree ranked 65th in creating QB pressures!!!!!

Maybe we shouldn’t let his 13 sacks overshadow his overall performance or forget Watt , Heyward and Tuitt will be there creating pressure and helping create opportunities for others .....

Cajun<><

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    It’s been suggested TE is our biggest need. With Ben returning with a suspect repaired arm wouldn’t a proven Weapon help?

What would a better plan for TE be with McDonald being expensive considering his extensive injury history and Vannett being a UFA?

Cajun
    <><

13. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Henry will be injury prone and expensive. No thanks.

McDonald is only 29 and he was good in 2018 when Ben was throwing to him, I think they were afraid to throw over the middle with two inexperienced QB’s in 2019 and McDonalds numbers suffered. They should be able to get his cap number down if they extend him. Pick up a TE in the draft as well and if Juju is back to health next year they will have enough options up the middle.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Definitely a need based on last year. Does Ben change that? Status unknown at the moment. Financially would HH be much cheaper? I don’t know what the market is for either. Both have injury history as well. My wishful scenario is Mcdonald comes back on a cheaper deal. I don’t see the market for him being too steep based on last years numbers. Can we cut him to find out? Risky, but we may have no choice. Another area where tagging Dupree hurts the overall picture.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    We could have the four best TE's in the league and if we don't throw to then, they will soon look just like the ones we have.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    That’s it in a nutshell. The lack of TE production in 2019 was not down to Vance. He spent all his time blocking

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I’m not so sure we can say Henry is injury prone. In 18 he had a ACL right knee but made it back in the playoffs. In 19 he took a low hit and received a fractured left knee but he finished the game.... Missed a month and came back and played well in a upset win over the packers.....

McDonald did look good in 18 and I agree playcalling is a Big issue!!! McDonald is injury prone and I’m not sure we can get a solid TE in the draft with our limited draft capital.

Cajun
    <><

• Like Like x 1
  18. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Fair enough. Do they run enough two tight end sets to justify having two highly paid TE’s on the roster? I think you stick with Vance. I would love Henry on the roster as well but I can’t see it happening.

19. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    HHHHmmmmmmmm.......... kinda feel like we went down this road before. Chargers TE, big contract always injured.......... Hello Ladarius Green!!!!!

How about no to both Dupree and HH?????

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    No.

Keep Dupree. Hunter Henry is not the solution here. Acquiring a seam busting Tight End that is not injury prone is. It is likely that there will be Tight Ends who are pushed down many draft boards due to the lack of a true number one.

Nevermind Tight End though as that ia not what ails this offense. A "Thermonuclear Option" is at Wide Receiver. Get that guy first as he will open up this offense in so many ways.

21. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I still don't see where TE is a need. We have 2 pretty good ones on the roster (one who is an animal when healthy). I still think our TE's not being targeted have led some to believe they have no value. I agree with AQL, WR is a bigger need - one that stretches the field and opens things up.

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think Dupree’s definitely improved over prior years. However I continue to believe that his production was inflated because of the performance of the guys he played with (both the other pass rushers and improved coverage). I’d love to keep him, but not at the dollars he’ll command on the market, or via the tag. I think we can get better bang for the buck with those dollars.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Bunch of us including @NY STEELERFAN have been saying the same things for weeks. A bunch of us agree...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  24. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Have also been saying since the end of the season that it would be a mistake to tag Bud. It’s just too expensive given the state of the offence.

whatever resources they can spare need to go in to the offence.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  25. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I do not have a clear idea of what the team wants to do with the TE position...was the 2019 TE production due to RF's playcalling or due to Ben out of the lineup??

What I do know is that the team does not have a TE who is a stud blocker. This is what they should target in the last couple rounds of the draft imo. This will help with the run game and QB protection and possibly McDonalds injuries.

I would say forget Hunter Henry and keep Vanimal and not sign Dupree. Supplement the TE room with a blocker first type guy to lessen the trench work on Vanimal so he can concentrate on receiving. He's not built for blocking anyway. No one was clamoring for another TE when he was stiff arming dudes into oblivion.

• Agree Agree x 1