1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What aspects of the Steelers have the arrow pointing up vs down?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    This is probably the most uncertain I have ever felt about the Steelers since I started following them in 1969. Granted, back then, I was more of a wide eyed kid who loved to follow the local team but in the last 30 years I always felt our future hinged on whether, or not, our on field talent turned out to be what we all hoped it would be.

Now, I have a very sick feeling that our on field talent is very small piece of the puzzle and this points directly to ownership in my opinion.

Arrow up:
    1. Defense
    2. I have to give Butler his due and say that I believe his arrow is pointing up.
    3. Boswell
    4. Brotherhood among players now that the garbage was taken out.
    Arrow down:
    1. Ownership, The slow decent started when Dan gave more control to Art II.
    2. Offense in general, O line, Offensive play makers.
    3. Coaching in general
    4. QB, deserves it's own category.
    5. The division, the Browns aren't a guaranteed two wins and the Ravens are tough.

What say you?

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Wont know a thing about this team until training camp wraps up and the preseason games are over and the final roster cut is made, prior to that it's just guess work and wishful thinking.....

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Agree but if we get blown out in our first game like last year or another 1-3 start, it should be someone's last day in the organization.

4. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I disagree. If the Steelers have been handling key issues poorly for a few years now, and I believe they have, waiting until the beginning of next year to see how you feel about them says you either like the way they've handled things or you have 100% faith in the management to turn it around. My faith has been dwindling for the last few years.

5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Agree with the up arrows regarding the team. Disgaree with one and four regarding the down arrows. If the owner was Jimmy Haslam, my concerns would be immense. However, this is not the case.

Regarding the QBs, I am content with what we have. Last season proved that this team still needs a true deep threat option; one that can rip the game open at any point in time. In today's game, having that homerun hitter is now more important than ever thanks to the new NFL rules.

Neither Mason nor Devlin had one. For that matter, neither had a consistent receiving threat all season. That has to change. However, that is not my biggest issue. The Offensive Line remains my biggest issue by far. Acquiring a quality Interior Offensive Lineman has to be a main point of emphasis this upcoming draft. If not that, kick Feiler inside and have Chuks and Banner duke it out.

Either way, improving the protection is paramount and should come first.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    The reality in today's NFL is defense doesn't really mean much. Each and every year, defense is going the way of the running back. Look at the 49ers in the Super Bowl. They had the "best" defense this last year, played relatively good in the Super Bowl and still allowed 31 points.

So, with that, the Steelers defense may have good players and be improved, but it won't win us any important games during the season and especially during the playoffs if they were to make it there.

Back to the offense. Unless the Steelers get a couple of stars in the making in May's draft, the Steelers are in for a mediocre season. 9-7, maybe 10-6 if they play above their heads. However, Mike Tomlin is not a good coach when he is in anyway a front runner. He doesn't have any advanced X's and O's that can surprise on the fly or for even a season. Big Ben shredded his elbow and he is just now throwing tennis balls in February? Even if he heals in time for the season, that strength in his right arm will more than likely be at 75% of what it was before. If that is the case, he will have a massive adjustment window, even if he adjusts at all.

Steelers are in real trouble for the future. Big Ben could be playing his last season this year, worst case, one more after this coming year. I know the Steelers do not tank and I am not a believer in that because NFL drafts arent like NBA drafts, you can find hidden gems in the later rounds. But the only thing that would save the Steelers fast is if they lost bad this coming year enough to get the #1 to get Trevor Lawrence. Other than that, who knows where this is going to go....

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Trust me, despite my lack of confidence in Art II, and my anger at his politically correct BS, and my disgust over how he handled AB, he is still light years ahead of the Haslems. I don't compare him to other owners, I compare him to the up-bringing he had and I have to wonder if he was paying attention.

Edited to add: P.S. I had to back up because I thought you said we needed a deep throat option. I think our OC handled that pretty well with no gag reflex:cool:

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers have a lot of ascending players

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    They need Ben & his shredded elbow. He creates probowl receivers. Made Sammy Coates a threat before he forgot how to catch.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm not sure I can agree with this. I think we won a number of games this year ONLY because of our defense.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Definitely. At the same time I don’t think you can win a SB with a great defence and average offence unless you get really lucky. At some point you’ll find yourself in a shootout and you’ll have to be able to move up and down the field and score quickly.

Steelers are a long way from that right now, even with a healthy Ben.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I think an average offense might have got us in the playoffs. Sadly, we weren't even average in some games.

13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Coates damaged his fingers, he was never the same after that.

14. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Ronnie Lott cut one of his off, just sayin.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    This is the million dollar question, but I really mean millions. He is going to need a solid tight end. Glass McDonald and Gentry are not going to get it done. Signing an upper tier free agent tight end without a long history of injuries to me should be the priority. The Offense needs serious attention. The defense will be fine without paying the one year wonder 16 mill.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    The secondary and linebackers are pointing up. Bush has a year experience behind him and 3 out of 4 players in our secondary are pro bowl caliber... Haden, Nelson and Fitz.

The rest of the team? :facepalm:

17. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I doubt if many of us are in a position to evaluate his medical condition. Maybe it is normal for him to progress from tennis balls to footballs in 3 months and then progress through toss with footballs to 100% with footballs in another 3 months?

Any elbow surgeons here have any input?

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    cam is still a top dog on defense too. :cool:

19. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I worry about his age. He's getting up there in years. Haden is old too... but CB has more longevity than DE.

20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree about age but those two are coming off of really good years despite their age. We definitely need some depth at all the positions. :cool:

21. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I don't know if I agree with a team slide under Art Rooney II over his Dad Dan. We have won 2 and been to 3 Super Bowls since Art II took over Dan's spot in 2002-2003.

22. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    But Dan was still heavily involved until 2009-2010.

23. troybellringer55

Nov 17, 2011
    The argument still can be made that we haven't won a Super Bowl since Dan has passed away.

But, I don't think Art II is a problem, very patient much like his father was. Your hard pressed to find ownership in any business aspect like you do with the Rooney family.

24. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Very true! I just wish I would hear more about Art II in relation to the Steelers than I do politics and pacification. The way he handled AB was unforgivable, the fact that he was genuinely hurt when someone referred to the Steelers as a three ring circus after the 2018 season, and the fact that he isn't concerned about falling attendance, tells me he is not a typical Rooney.

25. troybellringer55

Nov 17, 2011
    You can't be too worried about attendance, there still a 10-15 waiting list on the PSL for a seat license. The seats are bad for, only bad part is lacking revenue, for other sales for people who don't show.

Last year you can attribute a lot to the loss of Ben as far as attendance, a lot of fans gave up on the season a little bit after 1-4 start.

I still made every game last year even the pre-season games (but I only stay to halftime of pre-season games) . So you can't blame me.