1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB Depth Chart

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersfan35, Feb 6, 2020.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    You are not the first one here to disagree with me on this and that is fine @thesteeldeal and I disagree pretty good on this. Here is my thinking QB is the most important position on the field. We saw last year how bad our guys are behind Ben, we have no chance without Ben. With that all said we still almost made the playoffs with great defensive play and lots of injuries. We have sen in the past vet QB's lead teams, I named Keenum and how about Foles? Guys can stink elsewhere it is all about finding a fit(I am not sure Fitchener can find his shoes never mind a fit) with the guys on this team. I was all in on Mason last year, heck I was even thinking how he could take Ben's job..........I don't feel that way now. We need help at QB and a lot of it stems imo from Fitch not being able to give that. This is why I have been so high(puff puff) on a vet back up and one like MM who can run. JMO

2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yes he needs experience before we know exactly what we have. I just don’t see the point in putting band aids on the problem. I would like to have a better answer on our future at the QB position. I would take a chance on Mariota because he provides some of the skills that are required in today’s game,mobility being one of the biggest. It’s not the be all end all but it helps. There are still pocket passes doing quite well and the biggest advantage to being mobile is to be able to buy time in the pocket to get the ball downfield and not necessarily the ability to run. Unless you happen to be elite at it like LJ. Mariota has shown mobility but isn’t a elite runner and hasn’t proven he can turn his mobility into making big plays. He’s also still young....The reason I rule him out is we can’t afford him and Rooney and MT have said on more than one occasion that they are comfortable with MR. Unless Ben is completely unavailable I don’t see anything changing there.

Keenum IMO is a journeyman. He isn’t changing the dynamics of this team. Could he do well in a situation with a strong supporting cast? Yes. So could MR IMO. Would Keenum have flourished under last years scenario? I don’t see it.
    To me it comes down to this. With a healthy and effective Ben we have a chance to actually win a SB. With anyone else that we have a realistic chance of attaining IMO we don’t. Why stunt the growth of the young QBs to bring in a band aid? At some point you have to find out what is in the cupboard. If after a solid observation it turns out it’s empty it’s time to go shopping again anyway.....jmo

3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Mariota can scramble but can't throw the ball, if he isn't getting yards on the ground it's time to punt.
    Agree that Mason needs work but I think he could hang with most the backups being mentioned in this thread & is cheap to boot. I don't think he will pick up where Ben leaves off but that QB isn't on the team until Ben is done. Hopefully we can score another, yes he is, "elite QB" when we are picking relatively high in a future draft.

4. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree I say give MR a fair chance. I’m saying out of the two options MM or CK I would take a chance on MM if the price was dirt cheap. If not, I’m rolling with MR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I'm not ready to say that just yet. It could be a fad and I suspect that we will soon come back to the old adage that pocket passers will beat running QB's and defense will win championships.

The NFL has been through more than a couple fads where they wanted to make the running QB elite before they finished their second season but it has always come back to pocket passers.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Both of those teams had a lot better team around those qbs then we did. It wasn't even close to the same.

as I was saying in bens first years (with a much better team around him) the qb numbers were not drastically different.

another thing, it's not all about a one year run, when your long time franchise qb is at his end and Ben is, you try young age to try to find eventual replacements, not retreads for a year or two. All I know is our philosophy on this matter are quite different ny. :cool:

7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I'd rather get Jameis Winston dirt cheap. :shrug:

8. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Regardless who is at QB... Steelers are destined for 7-9 in 2020.

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

there will be a team after ben. Father time is undefeated. Yes it will be different and no every qb from here on out won't be the second coming. It's coming fast too. Get ready.:cool:

10. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Oh, it is 100% guaranteed that there will be a team after Ben but right now, our "only" hope of competing is Ben.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  11. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    So you disagree that Ben is our only hope of competing? I'm curious how you see this team, as it sits right now, competing for a Super Bowl without Ben?

12. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I don't think the team will be competitive with Ben. He's not gonna be the same QB he was from 2014-2018. I sure as hell ain't getting my hopes up.

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    you add players. This team will not go into next season the same as last year. We don't even know if Ben can play. We were a game away from making the playoffs. Hopefully we don't field a team of backups at the skill positions and aged offensive linemen and no fullback and picking guys off of practice squad to fill out the roster. Even with ben that's a pretty tall task.:cool:

14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I’m talking about mobility in the pocket. Like I said unless you are elite at it like LJ ,being mobile in the pocket is more important. Even a TB who is about as athletic as my grandmother has the ability to slide and step up in the pocket effectively enough. Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson are prime examples of being mobile and more importantly mobile in the pocket. Mahomes is there as well. MM has the mobility but hasn’t yet proven he can turn that into being a downfield threat with it. Tannehill is another guy who most thought of as a bum. Besides having a great running game to lean on they allowed him to use his mobility to get outside the pocket and make plays. Maybe MM in the right scenario could be similarly effective. Just don’t see that happening here for quite a few reasons....

15. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    TO machine, which is the last thing this team needs. We were winning with MR and Hodges until they started committing multiple TOs per game. We’re currently not built to overcome TOs....

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

And this is what I am saying if the price is right, I am not paying 10-12 mil for these guys.

17. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    There's plenty of teams with cap space who can sign Mariota to a contract the Steelers can not afford. Mariota and Winston are pipe dreams. I don't think Steelers are going to do anything at QB. It's gonna be Roethlisberger, Rudoph.... with Duck, Lynch and Barrett battling it out for #3. My money is on Lynch for #3. He has more upside than Hodges and Barrett.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    If it’s free...it’s for me....:shrug::hehehe:

• Like Like x 1
  19. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

IDK about all that, coming into this season we had a pro bowl RB, a WR who was coming off a monster season and a veteran oline. I was not the one who compared them you did.

As for our philosophy I don't think we are as far off as you think, the difference is I am trying to win now. I agree we need to bring a young guy along but after 2 seasons I am not liking what I just seen out of Mason. Get a guy in the draft, keep Mason as a #3 do both but my point is with all the questions we have with Ben's health I want a vet QB. This is just my opinion I know we aren't getting one but if it were my decision I would look at the big picture and kick the tires on both MM and Keenum. I would also check out some of these later round picks Montez, your guy McDonald are a few. The NFL is a QB league there is no time to sit and wait for guys to develop, they either ave it or they don't........Mason don't. jmo :smiley1:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m more optimistic than you, which didn’t particularly surprise me. ;)

I’m just basing this on our opponents next season. Baltimore is the only team I would put in the good category. Everyone else is fair to poor.

21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

You are right there are plenty of teams but if MM don't get a chance to start you think he is gonna get big money....nope. The other thing is maybe he see's the Steelers as a chance to help himself in 2 years. We are not signing him but it is nice to talk about.....lol

22. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    We "may not" be competitive with Ben, we "cannot" be competitive without him .....with the current backups. There is a huge different between may not and cannot, which is why we need Ben, or a solid back up.

That's all very true but a game away from a one and done playoff appearance is of zero interest to me; quite frankly, making the playoffs and keeping Tennessee out would have been a travesty! I guess the point I am making is that Ben is the "only" player we have who can cover up a lot of our weaknesses and we have too many of them to go anywhere without him. IMHO

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    The titans built a good offensive line, solid defense and one heck of a running game. MM would not have that here, most notably the good offensive line and run game. No qb can do it alone. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Are you referring to the infamous 8-8?:cool:

25. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Ahhh....I see. I thought you were referring to the LJ type mobility. But I think the point you make about TB demonstrates that it is not mobility, it is the where-with-all to know when to step up or slide over which doesn't really require mobility.