1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers headed to England this year?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by EnglishSteeler, Feb 9, 2020.

1. EnglishSteeler

EnglishSteeler Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Hearing rumours over here that our game @Buffalo may be one of the London 2020 games. Any such rumours surfacing in the states?

2. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    I've started enough rumors over the years to know to never believe rumors.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Steelers @ Bills likely to be in London on October 4th according to this. I think Rooney stated recently that they’d like to play overseas next season but Mexico was their preference

https://nflinlondon.com/london-2020-games/

4. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Leave it to Rooney! Every player and coach in the NFL hates the international games but Rooney wants it? And he prefers to play in a country where corruption is even higher than in the NFL?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Hate to be that guy but, I'm gonna be that guy. Mexico isn't overseas for us!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Was rumored the Jacksonville game would be in London (they seem to like playing there), but last I knew that was a definite no.

7. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    He's more interested in acting like a politician than winning championships.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    There is some speculation that the Jags might make it their permanent home in the future. NFL want to grow the game in Europe as they know there is very little scope for more growth at home, having a franchise there would be a logical step. The Jags stadium is a bit of a relic, and there is a shiny new one in London they could move right in to.

Presumably they’d have to maintain a training base on both sides of the Atlantic and would have to play their home games in blocks of four at a time if it ever does happen. Would be a nightmare for their division rivals.

9. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    That's been rumored for many years now and has yet to happen. I think it would be pretty stupid for the NFL to do this but then again the NFL has never shied away from doing stupid things.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Jacksonville has an 8 game agreement to play in London and has played 7. The last game is this year and they already said no to moving the Steeler game there.

Atlanta and Miami will play international games this coming season and we are not on either of their schedules.

Therefore, it looks unlikely for this year.

As long as it’s an away game I’d love to see the Steelers play in Mexico. If it’s not this season, because I’m already booked, I would consider going. I’ve been to different parts of Mexico at least 12 times.

Edson can host the tailgate?

• Like Like x 1
  11. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Perhaps, but the new state of the art Tottenham stadium in London has spent a fortune putting in the infrastructure to host NFL games, there is no way they’d have done this if they didn’t have a commitment from the NFL to continue to bring games to London.

Shahid Khan also owns a soccer team in London as it happens.

@jeh1856 the Jags have already stated that they will play two home games in London in 2020 so regardless of what contract they have they are trying to step up their profile there
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nf...s=team%3Djax%3Bconf%3Dafc%3Bdvsn%3Dacs&sr=amp

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I just asked my wife if the Steelers played in Mexico next year would she want to go to the game and then maybe go to Zihuatanejo?

I got that look that told me no, but in time I can turn it into a yes. ;)

13. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Andy Dufresne?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Has anyone here seen an international game at Tottenham? Interested as to how the atmosphere compares to Wembley.

EDIT: aware the likelihood of an answer here is low...

15. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    He's from Guatemala.

16. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Zihuat is a great place! Vallarta is my favorite but, check out the resort at Barra de Navidad!

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Start a EFL (Yourapeein Football League) again & have them not be farm teams. The new SB is an overseas battle between two continents. This leaves the door open for an Asian Conference, African Conference, the Pacific Island Conference, and more. Expansion to the point of kicking soccer's bum as THE world sport. Global dominance Art, Juerry, owners. Kraft could get his hand job legally, winner chicken dinner.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    There was an article in some financial mag referenced on sports talk radio (sorry I cannot give better details). The article took several different contracts and broke them down after British and USA taxes were withheld, it was not pretty. The take home for the rookie minimum at the time was like 150,000..I believe this was between 15 and 17.

It also determined that the Brits, while perhaps giving some tax breaks...likely would not give much. The bottom line was it would almost be impossible to sign FA's, let alone keep anyone after their original contract gave out. The tax structure for entertainment is not set up for residence, so even if you did not reside there, every game would be taxed highly for that game.

You also mentioned the nightmare for divisional opponents, but play offs as well. Just a stupid idea that Goodell will not let go of.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Interesting. I would have thought that the team would still be based in the US but just spend two four week blocks abroad to play their home games. Didn’t think of the tax implications of that.

It’s a logistical nightmare alright, and yeah it would be difficult to manage your roster under those circumstances. It still may happen tough.

20. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    The NFL has the money to pay the taxes for the teams, if the NFL can profit a nickel more than it pays.

21. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    The teams maybe, but they cannot pay the taxes for individual players. All of that has to still be declared income and still fit under the cap. If you are a rookie FA signing clearing 150,000 grand a year is still good money, but when players on other teams are clearing 2x that in the worst tax states, you are not going to be happy long.

If they want a team there they will push it through, I just think the long term logistics will come back to bite em in the a$$.

22. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I remember they used Jared Goff's rookie contract as a model. I cannot remember specifics, but even with CA's high tax rate, if he was playing in Britain the contract would have been far worse. Unless they get exemptions..or agree to a higher CAP number, who would want to play there? If given a higher CAP number, would not owners of high tax states like CA and NY want a same deal to better compete for FA's with no tax or low tax states? Sounds petty, but these guys are bottom line in the end. I have no doubt short term they could make a franchise viable, but long term after the aura wears off you will have little to show for your efforts.

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Already saved a link from TripAdvisor. Thank you. One of our best trips was to a little town named La Paz Mexico that a guy in a bar in New Orleans recommended.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  24. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Steelers have an large fanbase in Mexico, I can't remember how many made a trip to Pittsburgh year before last that was big news. My feeling is that ARII wants to play a game there for the fans and personally Id be for that more than the England game since Tomlin doesn't believe that jet lag is a real thing

25. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    So would the NFL have to change their name to the IFL? NHL and NBA have same issue. But MLB is safe for now. So what does the "X" in XFL mean? :shrug: