1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB Depth Chart

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersfan35, Feb 6, 2020.

1. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Yeah it’s a risk alright I’d be very comfortable with giving up a late third or fourth and maybe some later picks for him though if Miami just want him gone. There is just no telling what he can be now but he is more talented than Mason to begin with.

I agree they messed up with making Rudolph the backup. He wasn’t ready, perhaps he will never be ready.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm not opposed to the idea of Rosen at all, but I think I would hesitate committing as high as a 3rd to him. At the same time, I don't think Miami would take less. Especially as they may feel fleeced by the Minkah deal (I have no idea if that enters the heads of NFL GMs, but still).

• Like Like x 1
  3. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Miami will definitely want at least a third but it depends, if there are no takers a fourth and a conditional fifth might get it done.

I could see him going to the Chargers or Panthers if they don’t get a QB in the draft.

Of course with Tua’s injury history and the cost of keeping Fitzmagic it’s possible Miami just hold on to him as a cheap third string insurance policy

4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Mason sucks lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    So does Rosen, lol.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    We don’t know enough to say Rosen sucks. He has played all his football on terrible teams behind awful offensive lines and he coped much better than Mason did in a significantly better team.

Josh Rosen may well suck in the end, IDK, but I’d give him a better chance of being a starter in the league than Mason. People are throwing out names like Bridgewater and Mariota as backups for the team, never happening due to the cap. Rosen would be as cheap as chips and has a good pedigree. Worth consideration is all I’m saying.

7. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Right now, it's a toss-up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Mason does not suck. Do you think the kid from Baltimore would thrive in Joe flaccos offense for them? No. They changed the offense to fit the player. We run bens offense. You don't just change that during the season. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    @Vox Ferrum that article is a bit simplistic but I’d agree with the broad thrust of what the author is saying. I think there is a chance that extension they gave Ben last year goes down as one of the worst NFL contracts ever.

The Steelers have a SuperBowl defence with several studs on rookie deals and seasoned guys like Haden and Cam balling out. If Ben comes back and sucks then he will not only be holding the team back from a playing perspective but his contract means that they can’t invest in the skill positions.

Best case scenario is that he comes back, stays injury free and elevates the offence. Let’s hope that’s how it goes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    We have no choice but for that scenario to work with ben. We are all in at this point.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Of course. Look, the guy is a legend and I don’t want to knock him in any way. I’m not expecting much from him next season though, certainly not 33.5m worth anyway. You need to be top 2-3 in the league if you are getting that kind of $$. I’d be amazed if Ben can reach that level again tbh.

There is a huge opportunity there with this defence but I think it’s going to slip through their fingers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Excellent point! And I am happy that attendance is down!

Rooney Rule #3 Let attendance fall to the point that anyone, especially the homeless, can afford to take their family to a game!

14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Not in your lifetime.

15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Not in yours or mine cause we are old:smiley1:

16. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Still sucks. :shrug:
    Heard the guy is a douche. I'd rather roll with Mason & Paxton & use our draft picks for some younger backups that don't play QB.

Edit: pack your bags Chickillo, here's the door Dupree. :beg:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  17. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Mason is enough to back up our old & decrepit SB champ. :facepalm:
    No need to worry about a QB until Ben says I'm done. Mason could use the playing time if needed so we can gauge what rounder to put him on the block for.
    Rosen? Colossal bust for being traded up for in the first round.

18. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    All you have to know about Lynch is that he was signed in September and by the last game of the season Tomlin still thought that he wasn't ready to play. The fact that the coaching staff thought that Duck Hodges gave the team a better chance to win than Lynch speaks volumes about him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I wouldn't put too much stock in that. They mentioned that the 3rd string QB gets about zero time in practice, so hard to give a proper evaluation.

I defend Tomlin as much as anyone, but he does a terrible job of having back-ups ready, until they are forced to practice with the starters.

What I remember is Vick almost ending the 1st half of the Arizona with negative passing yards (until he got a 7 yard completion with a minute until halftime), and Tomlin still kept him in the game. Tomlin didn't trust Landry Jones, no matter how badly Vick was playing.

In any case, Lynch will have a chance to show something this off-season, whether good or bad.

20. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Again? When was he ever a top 2-3 QB in the league? Guess I missed all those years when he was better than Brady, Peyton, Rodgers, and Brees.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I think the guy is a HoFer and I'll put him in Top 5 for many years, but top 2 or 3? uh, no.

I will agree though he's not getting back to anywhere near the top again, but that's not what Steelers need. Anywhere around #10 will do. Heck, they went 8-8 with arguably the worst QB play in the league.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I dont know how you'd change the offense for Rudolph. He isn't mobile, he isn't accurate, and he isn't decisive. He is the same style QB as Ben only slower, less accurate, and definitely way less tough.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Top 2-3 may be a stretch alright, he was a top 5 QB for most of his career though, in 2018 he led the league in yards and the Steelers had the no. 1 redzone offence in football, that was while AB was on fire admittedly.

I just hope he can be effective next year given what they are paying him.

23. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    This right here and coming from a Mason fan I am not ready to give up on him but I certainly don't feel comfortable with our QB's. If Ben goes down we are screwed plain and simple. Most of my opinion about our back ups is based on experience and the fact they have Fitchner to fall back on.........puke!!!!!

This is why in other threads I am all on board with bringing in a vet back up. I don't care about how much it will cost it is pretty obvious that without a decent QB you don't go anywhere in the NFL. jmo

• Like Like x 1
  24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    You protect him better. The middle of our o line was awful with pressure in his face. His numbers were not that far off of bens when he started but Ben had better around him. If you look at the numbers from each qb, they are not that far off each other. :cool:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. Brews Crew

Brews Crew Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Not one bit.