1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Landry Jones

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 58stillers, Feb 6, 2020.

1. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    What does that say about the XFL?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    That it is like any other start up where you will be compared to a well known company. I think if they stick to playing just football and have realistic goals they can slowly build a following. If Vincent tries to have scripted storyline's with created drama then it will last as long as the first one did.

The town I live in had an under 18 junior hockey team come to town where the company I work for is a big supporter. This area in Minnesota is hockey town through and through but it has taken 3 years to grow this team to a point where they can really make a profit from it.

4. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    This will fail like they all have before. The only way this could possibly work is to have some value assigned to it that currently is dominated by the NCAA, the draft. The big elephant in the room is that many of the power 5 schools are just farm leagues for the NFL. These kids have no real desire to get an education and are just taking up seats from someone who really would like to be there in the classroom. The graduation rates and academic cheating would reflect this I would think and its just not football. If the XFL could get kids directly from high school and pay them like they are talking about doing anyway, then you'd have a league that would run concurrent with the other football seasons and people would pay attention a lot more as they become draft eligible and the future of the NFL. Otherwise, its hand me downs or NFL Lite and after 5 months of the normal football season, people are burned out and are not going to invest the time and money on something that means little to nothing in the big picture. The other elephant in the room is that NCAA knows this and there is no way something like this would not go uncontested in multiple ways. This is just me and my opinion on the matter.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    If they start stealing the top talent coming out of college, HS, then watch out NFL. Look at what the AFL accomplished.

6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah it is going to take some owners with deep deep deep pockets who don't care about throwing money away to get to that point. Mike Bloomberg are you available?

7. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    It was a nice read I read it last night. Hope it works out for Landry because I think he's a good person.

But I don't think the XFL makes it. Hell even the NFL tried it's own developmental league and couldn't make a go of it.

8. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Max contracts for xfl are 250k a year. They aren’t stealing anyone for that.

personally the most interesting part of the article was Landry putting in the work for a construction company. Manual labor for minimum wage. Truly impressed by the guy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Landry Jones... the new hope. Another Steelers QB who was unfairly hated.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Also the fact he turned down the AAF because he didn’t trust how he would get the money, and wasn’t uprooting his family. He comes across as a sensible decent guy.

11. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    How many college freshman are pulling down $250K a year by playing football?

Going after High School seniors just wanting to play pro ball is the way to go; Also getting kids to drop out of college early to go pro has been successful for the NBA.
    The 1 and done may work for the XFL.

12. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Landry Jones probably made around 3 million dollars for his 5 years in the league. Why did he have to take a minimum wage job driving a garbage truck? It would take someone making 50 grand a year 60 years to make what Landry did in 5.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Seriously? 30,000,000 or 250,000. hmmmm I’m going to need time to think about that one

14. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Perhaps try reading the article?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Maybe he was looking for something to do.:shrug:
    I read he was trying to get into the construction field but the only job available at the company he called was demo cleanup and hauling.

16. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    With that kind of dough in the bank why doesn't he buy a few trucks and start his own company? Much better than minimum wage. What did he study in college other than tossing the rock? :hmm:

17. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Life experience? I don't know. The article said he didn't set out to drive a truck, he wanted to work construction. This was probably a way to get his foot in the door and work his way up. It's like a 'prove it deal' in the contracting business, or the grass roots path. Some guys don't mind getting their hands dirty, despite their bank account. I don't know.

18. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Anything is possible, but the AFL developed a certain reckless and exciting style, competed on the same Sunday's and the NFL had 12 teams in 1960 before expanding to 14 in 61 (maybe one was added in 60, then the Vikes in 61). With 32 teams the league's depth of talent is already stretched. While there may be some HS players who could enter the NFL, that number has got to be seriously low, the physical development and stamina just is not there. The bottom line behind all of it is money, how much are rich owners willing to lose to perhaps one day get to a level to compete even in a small way against the NFL. The AFL's success is often attributed to the Jets signing Joe Namath, at least that was the signing that got the NFL to take the new league seriously, but even in the first year the AFL signed 75 % of their first round draft picks and had a national TV contract. I just do not see the XFL garnering a bunch of high profile recruits when the starting pay is so low..remember the max contract is 250,000..what is the base pay for rookies?

19. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I did read the article. When he was asked why he was doing this he replied"I don't know". So I guess if he doesn't know then none of us know either.

• Like Like x 1
  20. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Yet somehow you managed to miss the parts where he said “I want to learn more about construction” and where he spent an hour a week with his boss learning estimating etc.

He needs a job and has zero experience. As a general rule you start at the bottom and have to work your way up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Landry is a humble smart guy and he knows how life works

22. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Other than the fact he didn’t know anything about construction? Probably doesn’t know much about running a business either. He got a degree in marketing.

• Informative Informative x 1
  23. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The face of the XFL has a knee injury and won't start the 1st game.

Where's He Hate Me when you need him...

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    if you read the article, it says he didn’t know anything about the business. I say we sign him. He was better than the backups we have now.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Name any rookie who is making $30M a year.

That kind of money comes in the 2nd or 3rd NFL contract.
    Brice is suggesting that there may come a day when players will develop in the XFL (for up to $250K), and then be ready for a bigger contract with the NFL.