1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB Depth Chart

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersfan35, Feb 6, 2020.

1. steelersfan35

steelersfan35 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2016
    Do you feel comfortable with our current QB situation, depending on Ben's health?

2. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Nope.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    If Ben is healthy then yes.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I do personally. Too many circumstances plauged young Mason; lack of an overall running game being chief among them. That has to get fixed somehow, someway.

Of the two options, I would rather draft an Interior Offensive Lineman as opposed to shuffle up the Offensive Line via moving Matt Feiler to the inside and then have Chuks and Zach duke it out. Having consistency along the offensive line is just as important as having a talented one overall. Besides, it is time to find out what either Chuks or Zach can bring to the table.

The second option is to draft a Running Back. Sadly, there are not that many 6 feet or more ones that are good in this draft. Most of the good ones are 5'11 or under. That said, D'Andre Swift would be my choice. He is short at 5'9 but he can get the job done. As much as I would want J.K. Dobbins, he is likely the first Running Back off the Board come April.

5. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Wasn't Zack Duke a lefty for the Buccos

6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Nonono.

Zach Banner. Mammoth man.

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You added the caveat “depending on Ben’s health”. That’s a big if.

First, define healthy: 1) He starts the season, 2) He finishes the season.

Since both of these are doubtful, I’m just going with:

No

8. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Ummmm, f#$k no. Ben is broken and old. Behind him is a helluva reach at even 3rd round, an undrafted hillbilly, and a complete bust.

The FO better get serious about getting a replacement for Ben or welcome to the 1980s part 2.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I know lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I’d quite like to see what Lynch looks like in preseason. He’s not going to be the second coming, but would be good to see what he offers as a back up.

11. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I agree with your opinions 99.9% of the time. This is one of those .1s. If you want to see what Lynch looks like, just play some old video of Kent Graham. Rudolph is the best of the back ups and we shall see him for another year if Ben isn't healed or is injured.

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yes . Then we add Cole mcdonald.:smiley1::cool:

13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    56941c713bf7440456895c7d1a87a8f2.jpg

5'8" , just sayin.

Comfortable with our QB situation? Yes. For now.

14. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  15. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Yes, and I have to because Rooney said he is good with the 5 we have. So, this is a moot point that keeps being posted about.

16. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    I started several replies the past 3 days but after looking them over did not submit them .

Reply 1---No, not really. [already been said by several posters]

But then I figured I would at least comment on the two rooks who did play. So I wrote---

Reply 1B---Neither Rudolph or Hodges showed the ability to cope with NFL pressure. And they had plenty of practice seeing as how the OL somehow mysteriously developed amnesia last season. [I added some other crap but again did not think it was worth submitting]

A couple days past and friday I decided to give it another shot and came up with

Reply 2---Did'nt they recently hire a QB coach? What did he have to say about the situation? He hasn't quit already has he?

But after looking it over I thought [Hmm! Here we go again being very sarcastic. And considering I had no idea who the new QB coach was I figured already being critical was unfair so again did not submit the reply]

So then, out of curiosity I googled "who did the Steelers recently hire as the QB coach"

I found out and after reading about him one thing is for sure. The 2020 Steelers will certainly have at their disposal every possible offensive scheme that exists. [possibly even some that are newer] Of course execution is another matter.

But regardless who the QB is 2020 will be a very interesting season.

17. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    If Ben can stay healthy then I’m very comfortable.

Mason needs time behind Ben and good coaching to help him adjust to the NFL. Let’s not forget he didn’t even dress for games his first year and it was never the plan to have him playing last season. They took a chance on Ben staying healthy and it backfired.

If they feel Mason is not the future I’d be calling Miami about Rosen assuming they draft Tua. Rosen is a consensus first round talent and would be really cheap for the next two years. He was in difficult situations in both Arizona and Miami but I think he could still be very good in the right environment. I like the idea of he and Mason battling it out to be Bens successor.

18. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Comfortable? No, but it is what it is. The Steelers are going to give Ben his opportunity to make a comeback. If he can't the Steelers are going to give Mason another opportunity to be the starter. I doubt very highly that the Steelers are going to pay the money this offseason for a veteran guy that is better than Mason or Hodges. So if Ben isn't healthy we may spend another year in QB purgatory.

19. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Seen enough of Lynch? He looked decent in college, don't know what happened.

20. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I don’t know much about Lynch. He was on the street before the Steelers signed him which does not fill me with confidence that he is going to be the saviour.

I think they’ll stick with Mason / Paxton going in to 2020 so I’d guess we will see what he is like during the pre season. If he actually turns out to be something then great but by all accounts he was an epic bust and will likely be a career backup at best.

I think Rosen might be worth a roll of the dice if he is available for a third or fourth round pick. I’ve heard mixed reports about his personality and work ethic but the talent is certainly there.

21. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Loved that dude! Best to ever do it in my mind... No QB, single back system with no fullback... Did it all on his own... And was graceful and humble to boot!

22. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Bring back Landry Jones.

23. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I do not disagree that MR needs coaching, but when you make a decision to make a person your b/u QB, you had better believe there will be a high probability he will see some action during the year..and that action could be prolonged. That lack of foresight cost them, that said when you look at the QB's available at that point...there was not really much that could be done.

At this point I would not put anything out there for Rosen, well perhaps a 4th or 5th. You really have to wonder what is going on in his head at this point. He may emerge, but these last 2 years have had to impact him...does that impact motivate him, or build an inner victim/bitterness within. Only time will tell.

24. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I read the Lynch didn't have the dedication in Denver. Struggled with studying the playbook, ect.

• Informative Informative x 1
  25. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Mason Rudolph need to improve on his pocket presence. Learn how to buy extra time & ad-lib sometimes when the pocket break down.
    (1) Ben (2) Mason (3) Paxton ...I'm comfortable with that ...if Ben can't throw past 30 yards with some zip then he should retire & let Mason be the #1