1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kansas City

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chainmover1, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Kansas City

Congratulations!

But you are lucky you represented the AFC.

Yeah, I know! Your probably thinking---Huh! What! WTF you been drinking/smoking ---Well---

When the Steelers played KC in pre-season. I was shocked at how well the D completely throttled Mahomes.
    That is no easy task. Reid also recognized this and kept Mahomes in for a bit longer than anyone would expect a starting QB to play in a "meaningless" 2nd preseason game. But clearly he wanted to see if Mahomes could solve whatever was being done to so totally confuse him. He did not! But then again he only played a couple series. Nonetheless, I took this as a huge positive for the new D.

The FA acquisitions 22 26 both were outstanding and some high draft picks actually played like ones. Overall it was an impressive performance. [And this was pre Minkah to boot.]

So for the 1st time in like 7/8 years I reassessed my usual[1 and done at best]season projection and believed they had a legit shot at being "relevant" in the PO's.

But, well you saw what happened. It just was not to be. Even pre injury Ben was off to a very slow start and all the offensive defections proved to be more damaging than most fans expected.

So like I said, KC was kind of lucky the Steelers just weren't there to derail their glory.:smiley1:

KC is now the favorite to repeat next year at 6-1 odds. The Steelers are no where in sight on the list of possible contenders. Sure, there are a lot of Ifs but I really think they can bounce back and upset the so called applecart next season.

Don't you?

Edit: Not so sure I believe this now, since so many threads the past few weeks have pointed out the numerous problems the 2020 Steelers are facing, but I am still slightly optimistic.

This by no means was intended to demean KC's accomplishment. I had been riding them for the past almost 3 months and believed they would dethrone NE. But I did expect the Steelers to be their chief obstacle and not Baltimore.

2. Chainmover1

Jan 3, 2014
    Actually, there is a simple question here.

Who. if anyone, will challenge KC for the AFC crown in 2020. If you listen to national sports talk shows you would think there is no reason to bother playing the season. It's over.

Frankly, I think they are overdoing it .

But will the Steelers be at least one of the obstacles in KC's repeat quest?

• Like Like x 1
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
  4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    This is hilarious!
    Our powerful offense can't put up more than 10 points all season and you're saying they're lucky they didn't have to face our team.:lolol::roflmao::hehehe:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Chainmover1

Jan 3, 2014
    When the Steelers played KC in PRESEASON. I was shocked at how well the D completely throttled Mahomes.
    That is no easy task. Reid also recognized this and kept Mahomes in for a bit longer than anyone would expect a starting QB to play in a "meaningless" 2nd preseason game. But clearly he wanted to see if Mahomes could solve whatever was being done to so totally confuse him. He did not! But then again he only played a couple series. Nonetheless, I took this as a huge positive for the new D.

PRESEASON--Read the freaking post

Was this the Steeler team that was not capable of scoring points that KC might have had to face had the season not ended early?

Not you necessarily 86 but I am beginning to suspect that some on here have a serious reading comprehension problem.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I'm guessing people had a hard time taking the rest of the post seriously after the first three lines:huh:

Kansas City

Congratulations!

But you are lucky you represented the AFC.

7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The Chiefs will be relevant for years to come. Over 20 mill under the cap this upcoming season. The way they came back in ALL the post season contests is quite amazing. Mahomes is a star and no team is safe with a lead. We are far from where they are at this time.

Lets just hope that Ben doesn't have a setback on the light throwing of tennis balls if in so he is cleared to throw. Their are plenty of issues facing our Steelers to get back to the promised land of a Lombardi Trophy.

8. Chainmover1

Jan 3, 2014
    Unfortunately, I have to completely agree with you. It does appear like we are going in opposite directions .

BUT:

Date Away Score Home Score Result Home Spread ATS Total OU
    Sep 16, 2018 KC 42 PIT 37 L -4.0 L 52.5 O
    Oct 15, 2017 PIT 19 KC 13 W -3.5 W 46.5 U
    Oct 2, 2016 KC 14 PIT 43 W -3.5 W 48.5 O

What is so hard to believe about a full strength Steeler team that always plays them tough beating them again .

Oh, and especially one with a significantly improved Defense.

9. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I was thinking “Preseason” is where he lost me....

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Those games were light years ago in respect to the current teams. They have sky-rocketed and we have plummeted.

What is so hard to believe?
    1. A full strength Steeler team.
    2. Our OC is still here.
    3. We have a fragile old man and three question marks at QB
    4. Art II is okay with all of the above.

11. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    :drinks:

Mahomes is really lucky he's in the NFL! I had that one really good game in high school before I decided to rock the marching band or I could have given him a run for his money!;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  12. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Don’t forget that time in band camp....

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  13. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Was about to say the same thing. :lolol:

KC would have "throttled" the Steelers. I'm thankful we didn't have to witness a playoff game with the state the offense was in. The offense was absolutely putrid the last 3 games.... worst since 99 season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    What is so hard to believe is you saw what happened to a great defense when the offense could not put up points. If you want to see the Steelers beat KC then pray for new coaches, especially the OC. The team will need an OC who can design a running game mixed in with a short range passing game designed to move the chains and score on long drives. We have an OC that ha no clue on the running game and can't even figure out how to use a TE in the passing game.

Even with Ben back and playing well the team still has issues running. That means the scoring will be of the quick strike version with the crop of WRs on the roster. You only beat KC by keeping Mahomes off the field. SF has a better defense than the Steelers right now, they are more consistent on the DL and can stop the run, that is a problem with the Steelers defense right now. So even if you slow the passing game up you still have to stop the run consistently and the Steelers still struggle there, you remember the last Ravens game right?

15. Chainmover1

Jan 3, 2014
    Sad but true.

IDK about #2. You do recall for several years the DC, who I defended, was under severe fire. But on #2 I defer. No opinion. But should not someone be accountable?

16. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Chiefs are in a tier above the Steelers, so are the Ravens. Staying there once their young QB’s get their money will be their issue going forward. Mahomes will probably want $40m a year. Good luck keeping your star studded team together while paying him that.

As for the Steelers, things rarely pan out as predicted. I don’t know what the Steelers ceiling is going in to 2020. They can be at least a playoff contender imo. I think they can beat nearly anybody on a given day though. They are going to be good on defence and if they can put a credible offence on the field who knows how things might go.

• Like Like x 1
  17. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  18. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Where?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    The changing of the guard in the AFC is well underway. The Steelers and even now the Patriots are not the dominant teams in the conference any more.
    The Chiefs and Ravens will be the new version of the old rivalry between Brady's Patriots and Manning's Colts teams. The best the Steelers can hope for is to get in as a WC and maybe win one playoff game before being eliminated.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

THIS THIS THIS......WINNER WINNER WINNER!!!!!!! Remember when the Seachickens were going to be in the SB every year cause they had Wilson? Well Wilson was on his rookie contract when they won and what happened? They had to break up the "legion of boom" to make room for Wilson's contract........hello Mahomes! I by no means am going to say KC is gonna fold but just like Seachicks they won't be the hands down favorite when they have to pay their QB. Oh and let's see what the "real mvp" of the SB gets paid, Chris Jones could be gone and he is a force.

With all that said how can anyone watching KC think they were lucky wre didn't make it into the playoffs based of the PRESEASON and a couple series???? Come on we just watched KC 3 straight games come back from 10 or more points and because we did ok vs him a few series in preseason we were gonna beat them.......omg. DRUG TEST PLEASE :roflmao:

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Sports talk shows are worth less than worthless. They blow smoke up the back sides of whoever is on top to glorify something and to fill time. Also, one shot to Mahomes knee and they are where we are. That goes for Jackson as well. Anything can happen and it usually does. Just like it did against us. All this hype and odds to repeat is click bait and non-sense and I'll wager none of them are putting money where there mouths are. Preseason is not indicative of anything, good or bad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Chiefs will be relevant as long as Mahomes is healthy and he has plenty of support around him. The Chiefs aren't guaranteed anything next season, but they have a great shot at another Super Bowl run.

• Agree Agree x 4
  24. Chainmover1

Jan 3, 2014

"The changing of the guard in the AFC is well underway"

---So yes it looks like the nfl is in a new era and the young stud QB's are set to take over. This was, to their credit, predicted by several talk show radio hosts. [I listen to a lot of nfl radio hosts]

Now what is hilarious about this is. I was the one who picked KC to do exactly what they did and now am trying to figure out how to undo it.

BTW: Where are all the experts at now who were so sure Baltimore had the championship all wrapped up?

My early co favorites to win the AFC were KC and PIT. I did not think the truly great Brady would finish the season. NE finally had some OL woes. Brady however is not only great but also plenty tough. He was batted around this season more than ever and still finished strong. Truly amazing. But he also had a lousy season by his standards and looked done.

So I suppose the Steelers are out of the picture now, but it would have been nice to have seen a last hurrah out of Big Ben. Who knows?

25. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    KC will be very tough up till the time Mahomes gets a new 45-50 million a year contract, then they will become handcuffed a bit.

But they control him for the next 3 years.