1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Offensive Lineman Prospects

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by turtle, Jan 30, 2020.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Just thought we could have a one stop shop for all things offensive line....

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2020-nfl-draft-position-rankings-offensive-tackles

Saw this today and at this moment think the G/C guys are more of a need but if Foster and Finney leave and the team feels Feiler will be better at LG than RT, than its down to Banner or Chuks. If that happens I'm sure they will look at OTs in the draft for competition and depth.

Not too interested in the Louisville guy and not sure who will be available when we pick. Jack Driscoll from Auburn may be there and is worth some more research. Niang from TCU is huge and considered a RT prospect.

If Feiler moves, Derwin Grey would hopefully be able to be that interior depth along with JC Hasseneuer and you know they'll add another since Patrick Morris went to Denver. Losing Fred Johnson hurt last year but oh well.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    cohl cabral asu
    Sean pollard Clemson

Bryant Harrison FAU
    Mitchell Wilcox USF

Either of the first two are CGT capable. Either of the latter two are good TE prospects I would like. If I had my picks it would be wilcox, cabral. Could possibly get both in the 4th. They would be steals. We wouldn't have to move feiler. :cool:

4. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Pollard can play all the oline positions, he is getting ready for the combine and is a good late round prospect IMO:

Clemson senior C Sean Pollard said that he has dropped about 25 pounds of fat this offseason while adding 20 pounds of muscle. Pollard (6'5/320)

• Like Like x 1
  5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    moving to the interior...

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2020-nfl-draft-position-rankings-interior-offensive-linemen

The Michigan C Ruiz would be a great pick to me. It's really Matt Hennessy (Temple) vs Cesar Ruiz (Michigan) for the two centers I"m most interested in. Ruiz is probably the better athlete and can pull better like Pounce, but Hennessy may have the better overall game right now. I think Ruiz is pretty young though. I'd be happy with either tbh. I'm sure they will get their licks in at OG as well.

6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    ok, can you tell I'm getting excited about the offensive lineman prospects :lolol: and its still very early.

Seems like there is a good o-line prospect from San Diego State every other year or so and that says something about a smaller program like SDSU. Gotta give it to Coach Schmidt, and he's been there awhile for a younger guy.

https://goaztecs.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/mike-schmidt/600

Their C Keith Ishmael might be worth a look in the later rounds if the team goes in another direction early on. Colbert avoids the west coast talent like the plague though but due diligence and all that....

10. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Just looking at the past drafts and my previous comment on the West Coast.....

Only JuJu, Travis Feeney, Jordan Zumwalt, Markus Wheaton, Alameda Ta'amu, David DeCastro, David Paulson, and Chris Carter are from West Coast teams since the 2010 draft. That is 8 selections out of 83 or 9% if I counted correctly. 3 others were from Utah (2) and Arizona (1).

11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Good job Turtle, Steeler must strengthen the OL.
    I hope they take two.

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Cohl cabral is from Arizona st. Great football iq, team captain. Started one full season at LT. Worth a look turtle. Finney was from Kansas st. So we do head west at times. (Troy) this kid is solid and versatile and smart. I really, really like this kid as a do everything and anything olineman. :cool:

13. steeler_george

steeler_george Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2020
    Quick thoughts on our OL

This line has been steady for the past decade, with Feiler stepping in for Gilbert.

This line is getting old, and under performing, need injection with youth and talent.

In 2020, Most likely Foster is gone, we have 3 OL who are FA... Banner, Feiler, and Finnely. Even if we sign Feiler and Banner for a year, are any of them worth signing big contracts to keep in the future?

In 2021 we only have : DD, Grey, Chucks, and Pouncey signed. And Pouncey might not even make it to 2021.

This OL is a bigger mess than we really think going forward.

14. steeler_george

Jan 18, 2020
    What about that Wisconsin center, I can't think of his name, and what about Cushenberry. ... I have a feeling one of those 4 are ging to be Steelers. Hopefully 2 or 3 three slide down to us in the second and we can trade a bit back and select one and gaining a pick.

15. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Foster will most likely be cut and Pouncey is on his last legs. it wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Steelers draft one of these 4 centers at 2(49) who can play left guard until Pouncey either retires or becomes a cap casualty:

1) Tyler Biadasz 6'3" 316 Wisconsin
    2) Cesar Ruiz 6'4" 320 Michigan
    3) Lloyd Cushenberry 6'3 1/4" 312 LSU
    4) Matt Hennessey 6'4" 302 Temple

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I was thinking that Tyler Biadasz would be gone before we pick but who knows...that's why I didn't include him.

17. steeler_george

Jan 18, 2020
    yeah it is crazy going to be a crazy draft. With no 1st round pick, and not even a high second round pick, we have no idea who is going to slide to us. Add in we can go in any direction, from ILB to S and the obvious needs, or even trade back if we only see 3rd round talent remaining.

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    This draft is pretty deep in olinemen. :cool:

19. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
  20. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    From what I've seen there doesn't seem to be much top end talent this year at IOL.

A couple 2nd rounders and a bunch of guys who could all go 3-5 rounds.

21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    2020 Senior Bowl: Offensive line game report

By Colin Lindsay | January 27, 2020

There are a number of ways one could joke about the very disappointing play of the offensive line during last weekend’s Senior Bowl game from “they really were offensive” to “the Big uglies were indeed ugly!” All joking aside, any team hoping to find some hidden gems along the offensive line for the 2020 draft had to have been disappointed by what they are seeing on the game tapes for the unit. Even the top-rated guys that we were really excited to see – rising Houston OT Josh Jones and LSU C Lloyd Cushenberry – didn’t put on the kind of dominating performance that one would have expected to see from players who were reportedly on the verge of crashing the first-round party at this year’s draft.

to read rest of article:

https://gbnreport.com/2020-senior-bowl-offensive-line-game-report/

23. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    good news, sounds like they may fall to round 2 LOL

seriously though, not too concerned about an all star game performance. When did Josh Jones last play, he's probably been off for a couple weeks.
    Their comments on the OTs were not flattering.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  24. steeler_george

Jan 18, 2020
    Yeah perfect year for us to drop back and get an additional pick in the 3-5 rounds.

Especially since we need so much holes (NT/LG or RT/TE- and mostly depth /project future starters.

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Boise state has two in this draft from the left side of their o line that could be quite good, and actually their center is in the draft as well. Ezra Cleveland is a 4 year starter at LT. John molchon has 4 years of starts at LG. Nice duo that knows how to work with each other. We did try a pair of team mates last year from Maryland. Gray was the draft pick. Not a bad idea to do. Two guys that played next to each other for 3.5 years. :cool:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 1