1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who would you want backing up Ben?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Move up/trade to get a stud to replace or learn under him for 1 -2 years?

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. Move up/trade to get a solid veteran backup?

9 vote(s)
    19.6%
  3. Stick with our illustrious threesome we currently have backing him up?

32 vote(s)
    69.6%
  1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

What the heck does Terrell Owens have to do with this..........oh wait! :lolol:

2. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Will the off season be enough to get him acclimated to being an NFL QB?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Dude you're proposing a ridiculous trade proposal for Miami, they would hang up the phone on that offer, you're the one that looks foolish :facepalm:.

5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Not for me but no to seeing Mariota in black n gold. We already have a 1st round bust on the team, one that didn't get the four years that Mariota got to confirm it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Maybe the problem is I’m not much of a dreamer...lol

7. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I get what you are saying and totally understand, I will be interested in seeing what the interest is in him. I really feel like with a good FA class and a good group of college QB's there won't be room for him as a starter, JMO. If that is the case does he look for a team that has shown success and might have questions at QB(like us) where he can do a 1 year deal and maybe be good enough to land a starting gig the following year......kind of like Tannyhill did this year. Like I have said over and over again after watching last season I am all for bringing in someone to push Mason and surpass him.

8. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Do you argue with yourself just to get someone to talk to you?

9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Isn't being a dreamer part of sitting chatting one a message board???? Oh sorry forgot we are suppose to say the same things over and over and complain about people posting in the wrong thread..........:roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    So did Tannehill. It's amazing what a reliable top notch RB can do for any QB. Steelers need to add another RB. Unfortunately, there's gonna be an odd man out... which sucks, but is necessary. Keep Snell and Samuels.... and make some hard decisions regarding Conner and Nix.

11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Chicago

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I would keep Conner over Samuels if he was backing up a starter.

13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Could be I didn't say we were the only team but there isn't a lot of them.

14. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Trubisky is probably better than Mariota. Buttfumble Sanchez was better than Mariota. Marcus spends toooo much time not throwing the ball, scrambling until he gets sacked.

15. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Maybe. I did see him linked to them though that’s why I said Chicago. There are more than a few teams in much better shape cap wise who would be interested.....

16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    The FA class is pretty good with Brees, Brady, Rivers, Prescott, Tannehill, Bridgewater and Winston all ahead of MM right? Throw in the possibility of Newton and Dalton being cut or traded. Plus the draft guys who might get a chance to start right off the bat Burrow, Herbert and Tua. I am not sure there will be a spot for MM but we shall see.

As far as Chicago goes I keep hearing Newton linked to them.

17. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Ok let’s take Brees,Brady,Rivers,Prescott,Newton and Tannehill out of the equation. That leaves maybe Dalton who wouldn’t be traded to us and probably still a part of the Bengals plan to bring along Burrows and 50 mil. under the cap to be able to keep him if they wanted. So Bridgewater, Winston and Mariota. Who you want? What’s the cost?

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    MM at a very favorable price cause I think Teddy and Winston get starting jobs and MM is left holding the bag. JMO If we could get MM for 3-5 mil on a 1 year prove it deal like Teddy got last year(7.5m) I am all in on that. Time will tell what MM gets but if he is available at my price and not 10-12 like some think I am in on him all day.

19. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Sorry 3-5 . Don’t see it . Bridgewater 7.5 coming off a injury. I count somewhere between 9-11 teams who have way more cap space than we do that could give MM a better chance at playing. Look at the list of cap space and look at the teams who could realistically use a QB other than the top guys you listed that most of them aren’t leaving their current situation. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

20. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Steelers Don't Have Options Outside of In-House Quarterbacks

Noah Strackbein

PITTSBURGH -- The biggest question mark surrounding the Steelers this offseason continues to be the one player they've already got secured to the roster for the next two seasons.

Bud Dupree, Javon Hargrave, Matt Feiler, Mike Hilton, Zach Banner and other miscellaneous pieces need to sit down and figure out their future with or without a Pittsburgh jersey on, but the expected retain of most of their free agent group leaves the biggest question even more uncertain - and worrisome - for next year.

Right now, the Steelers sit on a little over $6 million in cap space for the 2020 free agency period. This is assumably before they make cuts and re-work contracts to try and find the needed room to re-sign the number of free agents they have and possibly offer players extensions with left over room.

A position not on that to-do list is quarterback. A situation the Steelers continue to know little about, but hold themselves firm to the belief that they should have a veteran quarterback behind center when the 2020 season kicks off.

to read rest of article:

https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/gm-report/steelers-options-outside-in-house-quarterbacks

• Like Like x 1
  21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    This is where you and I are disagreeing at, you are looking at cap space I am looking at best fit for MM to cash in after this coming season. Time will tell really no sense is going back and forth when we really don't know what his value is. I will say this if he takes 5m or under I would be all over him if he gets 9-11 then I am passing. I will join the group that says that is to much for a back up QB. As for who is or isn't going back to their teams that is debatable. Rivers already moved his kids and said he wasn't going with the Chargers. Brees isn't going anywhere but retirement if he don't come back. Brady, Bridgewater, Tannehill and Cam are unknowns.

22. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Oh best fit? Why didn’t you say so? ....:shrug:;)

• Like Like x 1
  23. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Trying to wrap my head around why you think Mariota at $5 million to sit & watch Ben is worth more than Alulu, who plays quite a few snaps, is not worth $3 mil because he isn't a starter. :shrug:.

Who would you put your money on to get hurt next year, Big Ben or S. Tuitt?

24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Tuitt probably tears his pec and destroys Ben’s elbow shaking hands at OTAs....

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Because after watching last season it is pretty clear without a QB we are not going anywhere. Do you agree with just a little QB help this past season we are in the playoffs? And you can't win the SB if you aren't in the playoffs and that is my goal as a fan every year. Also I am not saying Alualu is not worth the 3.6 mil what I am saying is there is so much money wrapped up on our dline we have no choice but to save money where we can.....IMO. :smiley1: