1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

KOBE BRYANT R. I. P.

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Jan 26, 2020.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Wow speechless. It appears his children and possible wife were all on board as well.

SAD Day in Basketball for sure.

2. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Wow. Too bad. He had 4 kids.

3. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
  4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I heard, that’s crazy

5. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    There is unconfirmed reports some of his children were on the helicopter with him.

6. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

His wife was not there, unfortunately, his 13 yr old daughter Gianna was...,. The other 3 were with the mother......
    Prayers out to them

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Wow what a tragedy, RIP Black Mamba.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  8. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    So tragic. This would have been his NBA HOF year as well. While the circumstances are very different, this will easily surpass the tragic death of Roberto Clemente because of the 24/7 sport news world we live in now and Kobe was perhaps one of the most recognizable names worldwide along with MJ and Tiger. I don't even follow the NBA and it hit me like a ton of bricks. So sad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    It was surreal when I saw the news feed. I read the headline and it didn't make sense. Read it again. Still didn't compute. Stared at it. Finally I understood. Then denial set it. Must be clickbait. It's a hoax. I started looking for the counter that would dismiss it as false. That didn't show up. So I sat there, mouth agape, for a few seconds.

I don't follow basketball other than a healthy interest in WVU. I don't like the pro game. But when tragedy strikes families...damn. It's not about sports anymore.

Prayers for the Bryant family and the others lost in the crash.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Not a big NBA person but root for Lakers. Saw Kobe play the 76er's a few times. Sad for the young so sad!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I too thought damn stupid internet and trolling. Thought it was BS.

12. Go 'lers

Go 'lers Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    This a terrible lose for the entire sports world.

Your heart really goes out to Kobe's family and all affect by this tragedy.

I believe that in the eyes of Los Angeles sports fans he was their Roberto Clemente for what he meant to them both on and especially off the court. Farewell, #24

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    And that's where the comparison's end. Kobe was a media giant and born to be in front of a camera and/or mike. They absolutely loved him. Roberto was the complete opposite - his relationship with the press was adversarial at best. Except for other Latin players, don't think Roberto had a lot of friends around baseball, including his teammates. He was revered strictly on his superb talent (a lot like Jim Brown). Except when Kobe got in trouble with the lady(ies), I don't think he had an enemy in the world, or at least that's the picture painted of him then and now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    It’s sad when anyone dies like that the way he did much less a legend. Too soon, built his legacy and was ready to enjoy the life with his family and it got taken away.

life’s short

15. Go 'lers

Go 'lers Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    I'm glad you mentioned this. You're right that the two men don't compare in how they interacted with the media or their other "transgressions" off the field of play. It's just simply how important he was to their cities team and what he meant to them off in the community.

Fortunately, there are few cities that have known the pain of losing a Roberto Clemente or Kobe Bryant in the way Pittsburgh and Los Angeles lost their respective favorite sons. It does however make you empathetic and yet still proud to have had them play for your city, whichever one that may be.

• Agree Agree x 1