1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Reese’s Senior Bowl

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by NY STEELERFAN, Jan 22, 2020.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Well this game is one to watch for sure, it has very good draft power. Here is a look at last year's squad:

Overall, the Reese’s Senior Bowl had 93 of its athletes picked in the 2019 NFL Draft. This tallies the second most in the history of the 71-year All-Star game keeping in mind the 111 underclassmen in the 2019 Draft.
    Beyond the first round of the draft, the Reese’s Senior Bowl placed 40 players in the first three rounds of the draft. This is the second most ever in the history of the nation’s premier collegiate all-star game.

Top draft performing schools from this year’s Reese’s Senior Bowl were Boston College (4), Mississippi State (4), West Virginia (4), Alabama (3), Auburn (3), Oklahoma (3), Southern California (3), Texas A&M (3), Washington (3).

https://www.seniorbowl.com/the-game/rosters/

2. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Some names I am interested in just from reading or hearing about are but defiantly not limited to:

North Team

Lamar Jackson DB.....Just think it would be cool to have a Jackson to Jackson connection when we play the rats twice.
    Essang Bassey DB.....Kid has ball skills and "long speed" but tackling is an issue so they say
    Althon Robinson Edge......Like his buddy Coleman from the Shine Game is a sack machine.
    Kenny Willekes Edge.....Seen his name in mocks to us in the 2nd.
    Evan Weaver ILB.........Not a position I feel we should draft but this kid might be one of the best defensive players in the draft, 182 total tackles!
    Matt Hennessy C..........Read a lot on him.
    Zack Baun OLB.........Name shows up in mocks and Mac has talked about him.
    Jordon Love QB........Late round gem?????
    Micheal Pittman and Antonio Gandy-Golden WR......One is being talked about a lot and the other is a small school gem.

South Team

Jabari Zuniga DE.......Seen mentioned to us, wasn't impressed in little I seen.
    Jonathan Greenard Edge......slotted to us in a few mocks.
    Logan Stenberg OG.......lots of good reads on him.
    Steven Montez QB.......Another late late round gem?????
    Lamical Perine RB........hard runner in what I seen in him so far.
    TE's Pinkney and Deguara....both were labeled teir 2 guys but I watched some of them and liked them.

• Like Like x 1
  3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I heard Love struggled with his accuracy Day 1 but that is to be expected throwing to new guys. I watched his game against Mich St. from 2018 . His accuracy seemed to be a strength even on the move . Pretty much consistently putting the ball on the receivers hands and also where they could catch it in stride and pick up YAC. Can make all the throws including outside the numbers with velocity. He’s pretty much the prototypical QB being looked for. He’s not LJ running but has effective mobility. I’d be surprised he makes it out of the 1st round.

4. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I just got through the Shrine game and haven't done anything for the senior bowl yet. I am trying to finish my binge watching of GOT(please no spoilers) as well.......lol.

• Like Like x 1
  5. steeler_george

steeler_george Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2020
    Where you in a comma in the past decade... really you haven't seen GOT!
    You are 5 bad post away from losing street credit with me, I can't believe you didn't see GOT.
    (Your lucky you have clout with good posts here!)

• Like Like x 1
  6. steeler_george

Jan 18, 2020
    I am Mr flip flop when I read these reports,

We need Ol, no we can't pass on a true #1 RB, no we need TE...

Call me crazy, but I think I love the offseason just as much as the season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Man I know I am always a day late with these things. I was late to the party with SOA and TWD as well........well there is 1 more post only 4 to got, ha ha ha.

• Like Like x 1
  8. steeler_george

Jan 18, 2020
    SOA? TWD? are those like Melrose spinoffs... if they are, they are not for me! LOL back to steeler football!

9. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
  10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm still in the camp of food McDonald from Hawaii. JT Barrett needs to go from here. This coming from an OSU fan. I know he is not at this bowl game but the kid can play. Something to build on. He can run well if he has to. I know We are limited this year in picks but if he were still there somehow with the later 4th, I'd have to consider. :cool:

11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
  12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Everybody dies in the end on GOT, just kidding :lolol:.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.......lol I am just about done 2 more to go tonight. What a show....wow

• Like Like x 1
  14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Bredeson and Trautman are interesting. As is Neville Gallimore. Out of the 3 I think Gallimore goes off the board first, but he'll still be there for our 2nd I would bet. I have doubts that they pick defense in the 2nd but if a defensive player cannot be passed up then gotta go for him. Early in the process, but I'm not seeing Gallimore as that "can't pass up" guy if there is a comparable off. lineman available, but he is still a good prospect and would help fill that void from Hargrave's departure.

• Like Like x 1
  15. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think the DL from Ohio State is showing well too. We love us some Ohio State. Reading some great things about Baun as well and his versatility to play all the LB positions.
    https://steelersdepot.com/2020/01/2020-nfl-draft-player-profiles-ohio-st-dt-davon-hamilton/

• Like Like x 1
  16. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Impressive! Small sample size but I like his demeanor and push better than Gallimore's. Gallimore seemed a little smaller too, not sure how they compare. I'm glad Chase Young gets a lot of attention so maybe Hamilton slides to our 3rd comp.

17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Gallimore 6'2" 304

Hamilton 6'4" 327

Hargrave 6'2" 305 for comparison according to steelers.com

fyi

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. steeler_george

Jan 18, 2020
    Turtle, I like your thinking... I think NT is one of the immediate biggest needs on the team now.
    But what round is best value...

Come on Colbert do your magic! ( as you can tell I get all excited about the offeseason!)

• Like Like x 2
  21. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    You know I never noticed this thread before. I thought all the threads above the main body were old stuff or board rules related etc. Then someone posted a link to it below. I was really puzzled why there were so few threads below on these topics. My bad!

Anyhow my little research this off season has made me believe that this Senior Bowl could be the most important piece to the draft process of all. Including the combine all the film etc.

I checked several years of past Steeler drafts and between players in the senior bowl and official visits 60-70% of the draft is there.

That makes sense.

Now I'm just a casual fan but it seems to me that the competition faced in this game and the weeks practice is the best these players will have faced in their entire careers. Especially the trench players. The OL are facing the elite D players in the country and vice versa. Now I see why so many of the great Steeler D's of the 90's decade played in this game.

Well, they're there. find them!

Edit: Oh! Buggs is a good example a low 6th rd pick and looks like an NFL player.
    Sutton smith also a 6thrd pick.[Is he still around?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  22. steeler_george

Jan 18, 2020
    Funny mentioning that about Sutton, I was just looking up the KC trade with the Jets... traded a 6 for Darron Lee.

23. steeler_george

Jan 18, 2020
    anyone else at home and wacthing this...

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    yes sir

25. steeler_george

Jan 18, 2020