1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Let’s talk Offense

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TarheelFlyer, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I just do not remember seeing him sitting with the QBs on the sideline while they were reviewing their game pads, It was just Mason and Hodges sitting together watching their pads without a coach in site during the games. I understand that the OC would not have time in a game to sit down with your 2 young QBs and review every play; But this is why you should have a QB coach!

I wonder if Tee Martin could be tempted to take over as QB coach? Has plenty of college coaching Experience.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  2. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Da Stellars.

I think having Vance back next year is critical for Ben and the overall production of our "O"; especially given the uncertainty of Ben's return. The man is a monster. This past year, the biggest mystery was the vanishing TEs in our "O". I just do not get it. Vance and Vannett could have, and should have been, some of the best friends for our young QBs. Unbelievable!

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree that McDonald and vannett should be kept. :cool:

4. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    I actually think we are OK at WR and RB. Have depth at both positions. TE OL and QB now that’s another story

5. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Let's talk offense?

Okay.

We don't have one..................

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    We dont have an elite starting number 1 wr or number 1 rb. Juju is a number 2. Conner ain't the answer.

7. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    But I think a mix of a healthy Connor which is asking a lot I get it and Snell is decent. I am also very high on Dionte Johnson. You might be right about a true #1 though JuJu probably isn’t the answer

8. steeler_george

steeler_george Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2020
    I think you are right on, we could acutal boast a good offense if we are healthy and conisitent.

Here are my thoughts with the above:
    QB-We don't need a vet, I can not say if a vet would be much better compared to a 3rd year Mason, with experience, use that $$$ elsewhere.

RB is average to below average, when Conner is out. Sadly we should on planning on him being out. Need to upgrade here, FA, or draft. Even with a healthy Ben, there is not one player who I can say is a threat, has #1 upside, or who I want to game plan around.

Everyone not named Conner is too one demenential, and I wouldn't even say that they are that good in that 1 trait they do have. I want to give Snell a pass,since he is a rookie, but too much uncertainty if he can be that back. We can't hope or compare him to the leap Conner made in his 2nd year, we were planning on having Bell as #1 RB. By default Conner became #1 RB. Not to take anything from Conner, be suceeded by having a great supporting cast at QB, WR, and OL.

Wr- the trio of Juju, Washington, Dj18 is a nice young core, We need at least 2 more players here to push them. I would like us to get a vet in FA, and another project rookie. Add in Cain also. Holten can go...

OL- now this is where the front office is going to make their money... I like what we have, but is it enough? Are we going to change the scheme? Who gets paid and who goes?

To me this is this position is the biggest question on O. Doesn't need an overhaul, but needs direction and youth.

I skipped TE, because we have nothing there. Start from scratch! We did give up a pick for Venett, so they might not want to give up on him. But a smart man would say cut your loses, and start a new... go in FA and get 2 "blocking" TEs, and go in draft looking for your gem. I would love it if get lucky and find a late round draft pick, or UDFA, like Kittle, or Weller from the Raiders.

Overall I think we need at least 5-6 new players in FA, in draft, and UDFA to jump start this O with *no holes. RB, 2TE, 2WR, 1 OL.

* no holes- starters and 2 deep in depth.

Am I asking for too much?

9. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Yeah conner two seasons ina row has proven he cant carry the load. Will it change? Possibly but I wouldn't bet on it. They definitely should draft a rb. Wr as well

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Sign vannett.
    sign finney.
    fix the oline.
    get a fb that can be on the field.
    wr for field stretching.
    get a good wr coach.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They could really use a David Johnson type who can be a blocking tight end, but also line up at fullback and catch the occasional pass. They clearly missed Nix last season and it seems to be particularly tough to find a replacement at fullback.

Finney has to be a priority. He should be competing to replace Foster at guard, but they also need him backing up Pouncey.

I don't think the argument that the team would have still been 8-8 with Roethlisberger makes much sense. The offense still would have had flaws, but it would have been much better than what we saw in 2019. I guess the assumption was that the Steelers wouldn't have trade for Fitzpatrick, but I don't think that is true at all. Part of the motivation for that deal was to salvage the season by fixing the hole at safety. The season was more likely to be salvageable with Roethlsiberger than without him.

• Like Like x 1
  12. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
  13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Great find steeldeal! Great read no less. Enjoyed every bit of it.

Agree 100% regarding the team's play for Matt Canada. It is not just to assist young Mason, J.T Barrett, Paxton Lynch and Devlin Hodges like so many believe. As I suspected, Matt Canada is a direct message to Randy Fichtner that his days as the Steelers Offensive Coordinator are numbered.

If the same old sequence happens yet again in 2020, ready up Randy Fichtner's walking papers. Thank him for his services with a free ride. Where should the ride go to one may ask?!?!

Destination:

ISLAND OF MISFIT TOYS

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    My goodness, JuJu has caught over 200 balls from Ben R. if that is not clutch what is.
    Also Ben Stated many times when AB was on team, I should have stayed with JuJu.

15. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Well if JuJu keeps turning the ball over Ben might think twice before letting it go, not good.

AB defined clutch, usually made everyone gasp in amazement without coughing up the ball. Also when the ball came his way he almost always was the one to get it regardless of what he needed to do or who was around him.

Personally i think JuJu is a legit #1, a probowl borderline allpro with Ben throwing him the ball. @bigbenhotness called me out on the clutch part of the equation. I have to agree with him, JuJu is not there yet.
    The bar has been set at an allpro level.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Day Sherman isn't going to help the transformation of these young wideouts. You start at that point and get a good wr coach in here. :cool:

17. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    He won’t be back. There’s already rumors of finding his replacement...

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I sure hope so. He didn't help this group of the offense.:cool:

19. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    I don’t know his role and won’t pretend to. What I did see was Washington progressing and DJ outplaying expectations. JuJu took a step back, but I’ll give him a pass due to injuries. We still need a better WR coach, but much of the criticisms can probably be redirected at Fichtner for calling such vanilla games

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

well signing finney is out.
    got a FB. Check.
    fixing the O-Line with foster retiring. Check, I hope.
    good wr coach. Check.
    field stretching wr?????? Not yet.

3 out of 5 so far. Not big sexy moves but all should help. :cool:

21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The Ravens and Browns have improved their teams.

Can we all admit that unless Ben R plays lights out that

he(his salary) has handcuffed this team to a third place status.

Can't sign anyone when you have a 38 yr old making 34 million/yr

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

the team is going all in, I hope Ben does as well. This is the story to watch. Will he put in the work to get acquainted with these young new players around him at this point of his career. That will determine if this works or not. This is a little out of bens comfort zone, but it's critical.:cool:

23. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Problem this time is....will he be able to put in the work? How careful are they going to have to be with his elbow ? He may not be able to put in the reps necessary ,even if he wanted too

24. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Can't admit to the third place status. I can admit to battling the Ravens for the division title but will need to see the Browns live up to something more than just beating the Steelers. The Browns will always be an underachiever with their current ownership & front office personnel.

25. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Browns are all about Baker. He played terrible last yr looked like a bust. If he returns back to how he played as a rookie they will be better than the Steelers are.