1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rooney not disappointed with low 2019 attendance

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    What about all the other recent flops where we didn’t lose our Franchise QB Bobby the Biz?

2. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    You're acting like season ticket holders who no-show are deciding to just throw their tickets in the garbage. Im sure that most are not and are trying to get rid of them but can't. I know this because I've been there before. Do you know how incredibly hard it is to get rid of tickets even at face value? Especially for December games when the Steelers are out of the playoff race? At that point they're literally worthless. So....so much for the typical 'yinzer' fan who treat Steeler tickets like gold and claim that they wish they had tickets and if they did would be more than willing to go. They're full of sh!t. I've been burned countless times. There are opportunities literally every single game to go cheap by simply driving down to the stadium and waiting close to kickoff and scoring tickets below face value, but most people are all talk.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Second most wins in the NFL in the last 20 years only behind the juggernaut that is the NFL's......scratch that.....Professional Sports greatest dynasty ever. Yeah, they're mediocre alright. :rolleyes:

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburg...second-most-wins-in-NFL-since-2000-115115594/

If it weren't for the Patriots, we would be touting how incredible this nearly 30 year run the Steelers have been on. Some of us just have a better perspective and understanding, I guess.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm disappointed in the Steelers attendance... there are ALWAYS a lot of empty seats in the stadium. Those reported attendance is all smoke and mirrors. Its bad.

I went to the Patriots game in 2017... the Patriots came out after half time to a completely empty stadium, marched right up the field and scored.

5. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Everyone is hung up on the number of no shows but they are missing the big picture. 62,200 fans is only 200 fans per game less than their average over the past 14 seasons. Thats literally 2 people per section. It's negligible, unnoticeable and not really any different from seasons past. In fact, given the circumstances that they played with this year, you could argue that it was a success attendance wise. Regarding the 5,000 no shows, the Steelers expanded capacity by 3,000 seats in 2015. Had they not done that expansion then the number of no-shows would've been only 2,000.

And the Rooneys didn't expand the stadium because they needed to. They expanded capacity to take advantage of the huge number of suckers, I mean fans on the waiting list by giving the top 3,000 the opportunity to pay him an exorbitant amount of money for the PSLs and then continue to milk them for another $1000 or so every year for tickets to those 3,000 seats. They couldn't give a crap less how many no-shows there are or how bad it looks, they've got your cash already. And will continue to collect it too.

Think about it.....there really was no reason to expand capacity since they were averaging 2,000 no shows a game. Game tickets weren't scarce, so from that perspective why expand. The tickets were out there but the Rooneys weren't getting a cut. What was scare was the number of season tickets and they capitalized on it. Nicely.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Guess Regular Season records mean a lot to you. Congrats Bud

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    :facepalm:

8. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    How have we done in the playoffs the last 9 years?? I’ll wait..........

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Aside from the Patriots, name a team that's been more consistently successful over the past 20 - 30 years. Go ahead name ONE.

The problem is that they're comparing the Steelers to the Patriots. They're not. No one is. No one every will be again. Not even the Patriots going forward. Yet here we are.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Steelers have had good regular seasons for that chunk of time but the playoff success has not been the same or even close. Also the last two years we are trending down even in the regular season. I know Ben last year and that’s hard to argue but I’m not liking the direction of the franchise starting at the top.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    And what has Jerry Jones won in the last 25 years? It's not like Art II isn't trying to compete for a SB.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    it's extremely difficult to win in the regular season, post season, and win the Superbowl.

The Steelers waited approx. 16 years before they made the Superbowl after 70's dynasty. They waited approx. 26 years before they won another Superbowl in 2005. The Chiefs waited 50 years to play in the Superbowl again. Around 1/3 of the league never played in the Superbowl. Several teams never won one Superbowl. The Steelers may never win another Superbowl in our lifetimes.

Ahhh maybe you get it now? No you are to stuck on the disappointments to see how difficult it is to win in the regular season, post season, SB.

Knowing the facts I wrote above I will take the organization's ability to field competitive teams and playoff contenders until they can field another Superbowl winning team. Again a Superbowl winner may not happen in our lifetimes.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  13. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    There was an article in SI a few weeks ago that talked about a decline in attendance at college football games (something like 5-8 percent decrease over the last handful of years). The MLB is also experiencing issues. I don’t think the issue of no-shows is unique to the Steelers.

There are a bunch of reasons why this is the case, some of which has already been shared (business ownership of tickets, weather, time of game, etc).

It is unrelated to football, but I have several friends who have season wrestling tickets at PSUs Rec Hall and I go to a couple of matches each year. Despite PSUs wild success, most matches have empty patches like any other sporting contest (save for the really big matches like OSU).

14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’m not sure what it is you want from me? I want to win just as much as you do.

15. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I know they made money off of me when I'm in town at the beer booth HAHAHAHAHAHA

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  16. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
  17. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Aaron Rodgers and brees constantly not doing much in the postseason since 2009/2010 either

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    I don’t want anything from you it’s all good brother. For every glass half empty guy like myself the world needs a half full one as well.

19. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Sweet! Yet you’re still full of it. 64,000 seats @$100 per...

20. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016

64,000 x 8 = 512k.

At the end of the day it's all peanuts to their TV deal. But that's my point. There's no need to outprice real fans. It's just better business and way to keep fans long term. It works with soccer. They stick by their ****ty teams because it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to go watch their equivalent of the Detroit Lions. Some teams try this tactic once they've lost their fanbase but it's too late. Not to mention it's a better product on TV stadium full of fans vs. empty. Makes people actually want to go. Plus, as you can see by the numbers they could make more money. Even if it's about the same. Who cares? You got your TV deal. Why are you pricing people out the seats??

21. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

I know what you mean a about the tickets going much lower close to or after kick-off. I was walking in one day and had my tickets, but I asked the guy selling tickets how much. He asked how many I needed. I told him I was asking for future reference. He decided to be a smart @$$ and told me he was asking $10.00. Since he was not getting many takers I did him a favor and announced he was selling them for $10.00. He was none too pleased.

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Is the glass half empty or half full? It depends on whether you are drinking or pouring.

This has nothing to do with the Steelers. It just popped into my head. :drinks:

• Like Like x 2
  23. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I cannot speak for everyone as only one fan however I had full intentions of flying in from Canada to catch a game and decided that I just did not want to spend that kind of money to see them lose. Well they actually did lose as I suspected to the Seahawks. Last year I went to a Ravens game and they lost. I just cant justify the amount of money I am spending to see them lose. Thats just me. I really dont care if others think that makes me bad fan or whatever. After being a fan of 44 years I am entitled to make those kinds of decisions. This organization is just not what I expect from them and severely disappointed in their lack luster effort would be a huge under statement.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    To be fair, it's not a Steelers only problem. I'm sure they would do it differently if allowed. It's a 3rd party reseller issue. 100 billion dollar organization and you can't make your own website/system to sell tickets. That's another issue. People who buy season tickets to flip them. If you are caught doing that in European football you lose your tickets.

• Like Like x 1
  25. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Damn that's fair weather! I mean you could have watched Duck Hodges and bought one of those souvenir beaks.

• Like Like x 1