1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who would you want backing up Ben?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Move up/trade to get a stud to replace or learn under him for 1 -2 years?

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. Move up/trade to get a solid veteran backup?

9 vote(s)
    19.6%
  3. Stick with our illustrious threesome we currently have backing him up?

32 vote(s)
    69.6%
  1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    As some have stated, Ben may be brittle and despite my belief that he will do everything in his power to come back, there is an uncomfortable chance that he just won't have it.

If we don't do something to either replace him if he can't make it work, or back him up if he gets an unrelated injury, this team will not make the playoffs again next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I have a sense that when we talk about signing a veteran back up, a lot of us mean “Charlie Batch”.

If we’re talking about signing a Leftwich, Gradkowski, or Vick... then we’re better off hoping Rudolph improves.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Mason Rudolph. You only learn by doing, and it's far too soon to give up on him yet.

I liked what I saw in that Jets game when he came back in. It was too bad he got hurt.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Rudolph and Lynch will likely back up Ben. They can’t really afford anything else.

They have no round 1 draft pick and there is no point picking up another 3rd / 4th round project QB in this years draft.

I don’t know what the 2021 QB class is like, but that is the earliest they will select a QB in the draft again imo

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    :lolol: I was thinking of someone still alive. Ryan Fitzmagic would be my choice if I could wave the wand.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

Among the major aspects that did Mason in, Randy failed him overall this season. Go back to Randy's comments after the victory against the Colts. Here is what Randy stated;

“I think the difference when you see the growth of a young quarterback is pulling the trigger in tight spaces. It doesn’t get any tighter than when you get down there. Field shrunk, decisions must be made quick, and you’ve got to be prepared to pull the trigger and live with that consequence. Just talk about Ben [Roethlisberger]. You know, Ben’s been down that road so many times. There isn’t any consequence he’s afraid to stand up here in front of you, and the fans, and his owner, and his head coach, me, and say, “hey, my fault.” So, Mason’s got to get to that point where maybe the easy throw was to throw it short, maybe we broke a tackle and scored, nice job, but boy, it was coming open behind him and just anticipate that a little bit and be able to make that throw.”

Again, this is very unusual. For a young QB to progress, he needs to take those shots. That said, here in lies my biggest issue.

How is Mason supposed to take that next step whenever you advise him not to?! That is not even the most DAMNING aspect of all of this either!! Here is a more loose translation on what Randy was implying;

"I dont trust you enough to run the full offense. I only trust you to run the basics."

Really?!?! :facepalm:

7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    That would be an awesome signing.

I guess my point was that we tend to speak about these solid, reliable vet back ups (like Fitz), but history doesn’t show that working out well for the Steelers.

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They can't afford Fitzpatrick, I don't want him anyways, he throws too many ints and he has never gotten a team to the playoffs.

9. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers should keep Rudolph and sign a veteran backup. Let the vet and Rudolph battle it out for #2.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  10. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Well we have 5 freaking QBs that are on the payroll right now. I would think we could get 2 that will be able to dress game 1 next season. If not, who in the hell is picking these guys? Were we that desperate and still played these guys in games that meant something in getting into the playoffs? We controlled our won destiny (again) at one point with who we had and now here we are wanting to get even more QB's? I have no clue as to who is deciding what and I don't attend their practices to see what the staff see's. Right now I am sitting back SMH and wondering when and how this gets corrected. Dummy me, but I actually think somebody has a plan.

11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    But he sure has gotten rich jumping from team to team.

12. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Agree with this... there's probably no way Steelers will be able to afford a veteran backup QB, after either the Dupree or Hargrave deal... and Roethlisberger's salary cap hit.

Might as well roll with Rudolph and Lynch. Silver lining is... both backup QBs have starting experience.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    They were in salary cap hell this year with Ben and AB salaries. The Steelers appear to be in salary cap hell in 2020 too. The organization has tough decisions to make. The odds are against them fielding another competitive team in 2020.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Cole mcdonald. Rd. 4. :cool:

15. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Lynch will have this entire off season to get acclimated to the playbook. We'll have two 1st round QBs and one 3rd round QB. :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  16. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    If it is my decision like the question ask's then I am kicking the tires on Mariota. If he don't get a chance to start our current QB situation could look good to him. He will not come cheap but I think we learned this year just how important the QB position is. If he don't get a starting gig then he won't get a ton of money so if we can pay guys like Chick 6 mil and Barron 8 mil I can justify giving 8 mil to our back up QB. I am not ready to give up on Mason so I am keeping him around as well, lesson learn from last season make sure the most important position is taken care of. Bye bye Duck and Lynch and I am taking a flyer on a late round flyer on a guy like Montez and Mac's guy McDonald. jmo

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    It's safe to say the Steelers face an uncertain future at the most important position in the league.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Um no

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    We have 5 QBs signed right now and we need to dress 2 for 1 st game. I see nothing uncertain about this. Until told and confirmed otherwise, Ben is starting 2020 and between 4 other QBs we'll get #2 and 3. This isn't rocket science
    If you play the what if game, then you could say every teams is uncertain at just about every position as anything could happen between now and the start of 2020 season. According to what we know right now, there is no uncertainty until told otherwise. Unless you know something about Ben no one else does. JMO.

20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers after the season said they're committed to Rudolph, I don't see them signing a veteran QB.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Considering no one really knows anything about the status of Ben’s elbow,that would be the definition of uncertainty. Yes hypothetically you could say the same about every team at every position but that doesn’t mean the future of having Ben as our QB isn’t a uncertainty. Unless I’m missing the point. Do we know he’s definitely gonna play? No. Do we know he’s definitely not?No. That’s uncertainty I’m pretty sure. Actually I’m pretty certain...lol

22. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    At this time we don't have any stability at the QB position. That's not playing the what if game.

Ben's status is uncertain at this time.

Mason is still a question mark from a consistency stand point. What has Lynch shown since coming into the league? Duck?

If that's not the definition of uncertainty than I don't know what is. It appears there will be several back up QBs available with starting experience in free agency. It would be good if the Steelers could sign one. That might not be realistic with Ben's cap hit.

23. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I got a big concern about Mason, he is too heavy footed in the pocket. Every successful QB in the modern NFL has the ability to move in the pocket.

I prefer a veteran signing, but the Rooney's already indicated they are sticking with the guys they have.

24. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    One reason is because they don't have any money. Mason did some good things this season. Are you sold on him long term at this point? I am not.

25. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Case Keenum, Kyle Allen, Colt McCoy