1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

A Plan for Edmunds

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dexter402, Jan 12, 2020.

1. dexter402

dexter402 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I know Edmunds has caught a lot of heat, some warranted, some not. I am not sure if this was ever brought up before but.....

What if we move him full time to a hybrid MLB ie Barron, Deone Buchanon or even what they were trying to do with Minkah in Miami. He has physical gifts that can’t be taught. He is a decent tackler, on par with most of the league today. I think we will be moving on from Barron for cap reasons and may have a replacement on the roster. Late in the season on obvious passing downs they were putting Hilton and Sutton in for him. Just a thought and was wondering if it was ever floated before.

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    What I have been saying. Besides, Mark Barron has served his purpose here. He was supposed to be the bridge for Devin Bush Jr. to have a smooth transition into the league. Mission accomplished.

As for Terrell Edmunds, Morgan Burnett was supposed to be that for the team and for Edmunds. Why Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin threw caution to the wind in terms of Burnett's injury history is beyond me. In the end, Terrell ended up, as Tomlin would say, "dying on the vine" in his rookie season.

Now, to Edmunds credit, as a Strong Safety, run support is his first priority. I will say he was much better this season than his rookie one. For that matter, in terms of him playing while seeing what is in front of him is where Terrell shined this season.

However, his major weakness is still an issue; lack of overall ball skills. From the DPI he had against Seattle to being unable to properly make the interception against the Cardinals, Terrell has not progressed in that area. Given how Strong Safeties now must be more than just run support, Terrell needs to show more in this area.

To that end, given how he is better playing closer to the LOS anyway, having him at ILB should be within the cards here. Keep in mind Mark Barron did this early in his career and he benefited from it. In comparison though, Terrell is a more gifted athlete than Mark was when he entered the league. Add the fact that Terrell has experience playing Linebacker and it should be doable.

3. dexter402

Nov 3, 2011

I didn't realize he played Linebacker, I assume in college. This would def strengthen the arguement to at least try it. He def gets lost in coverage sometimes against wr's, but does ok against TE's and RB's . If I am off on this guys let me know, I know there are a lot of you that keep track of every players stats lol, I am going off of memory. If yoy have Bush, Edmunds, Gilbert and Bince, that is a pretty solid MLB group with a lot of speed and playmaking ability.

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Only major issue though becomes if Terrell is moved to Linebacker, who is supplanting him?! Another rookie?! I doubt it personally. That said and, as I have stated before....

..... There is more to the acquisiton of Minkah Fitzpatrick than just merely salvaging the 2019 Season. Some of that does have to do with Sean Davis no doubt. However, do not think for a second that this does not have anything to do with Terrell Edmunds.

5. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    ILB?? Um ..do you guys realize how much Edmunds suck in pass coverage?? On passing plays, opponents regard him as fresh meat. Trust me, if we don't bring back Mark Barron ...WE WILL REGRET IT. Vince Williams is good against the run, fresh meat against the pass. Bush seem to be OK against the pass, but his size is a liability....

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    ILB?? Um ..do you guys realize how much Edmunds suck in pass coverage?? On passing plays, opponents regard him as fresh meat. Trust me, if we don't bring back Mark Barron ...WE WILL REGRET IT. Vince Williams is good against the run, fresh meat against the pass. Bush seem to be OK against the pass, but his size is a liability....

7. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Or, we could see if we can get a decent draft pick for him in a trade.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Exactly, who’s supplanting him, probably no one.

Might need to go into the draft for Barron’s replacement, unless they like Ulysses?

9. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Moving Edmuds to LB to work in and out with Williams I think would be a good fit. Let Edmunds spend some time this off season with his baby brother Tremaine and put on some weight.

Letting Barron goes saves 5.25 million in cap.

Resign Sean Davis and let him go back to playing Strong Safety; his play took a dive when he was moved to FS in 2018. My money would be on Davis beating out Edmunds for the starting SS position in 2020.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I have a simple solution: keep Edmunds at strong safety, and have an offseason plan for him to work on his deficiencies. The guy was not a terrible player last season, he’s just not coming along as quickly as a first round investment should. However, he is here now, and he’s easily the best option at SS that the team can actually afford. He has all of the physical tools for the position, and he has shown quite a few flashes of good play with too much inconsistency mixed in, but the inconsistency can be addressed with coaching and experience. We have some significant needs elsewhere on the roster, and limited draft capital and cap space to do it. The focus on personnel changes should be elsewhere (including more viable backups for both safety spots). That’s my take anyway. No need to overreact to him not being a star after 2 seasons. I think some folks forget just how mediocre Sean Davis was as a strong safety in his 2nd year before moving to free safety. I’d like to have Davis back cheap as a versatile backup for both safety spots, but if he’s starting, the safety play will deteriorate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    This. He will stay at Strong Safety. Some forgot it took Alvin a 4 year window and are singing the praises now. Not that i'm buying it but hey, that's just me. Edmonds hopefully takes a step forward in his 3rd year. Definitely needs to work hard on his coverage skills or lack their of.

12. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Why would you want to resign Davis?

• Like Like x 1
  13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Most likely you’re right and he stays put. While we can expect improvement there is the fear that his biggest weakness, which is ball skills isn’t something that can be taught. I wouldn’t mind them at least working on his versatility by giving him opportunities around the LOS. Right now he is the biggest weakness that can and will be exploited if tasked with too much coverage. He shouldn’t be used as the last line of defense which he sometimes is.
    That’s when his deficiency shows up. The biggest difference I see with him and Dupree is that TEs weakness is instinctual. He hasn’t really shown much improvement in that area. We can’t wait until year 5 with him. If he’s our SS of the future this is the year he has to show it. JMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    He stays Vince goes. UG3, bush, barron, spillane at ilb. Backup safety is the need. Add some cb speed and youth. Any of the Ohio state corners would be nice for the future. I'd like to see us draft baun the olb from wisconsin opposite tj. Extend tj now. Add leki fotu at nt. Draft Cole McDonald from Hawaii at qb. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Vince will stay because of his Cap. The Steelers will lose over 6 million if they release Vince; saving only under 1 million in total cap space.

On the other hand if they release Barron they will save 5.67 million in cap space.

I think they still have plans for Layne at CB; with are 2 starters in-place, and if they can resign Hilton. This will make a pretty good 4-pack at the CB position if Layne develops. I do not see them going after a CB in the draft.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Davis's last year to play SS he had 3 ints, 1 sack and 1 force fumble. He only moved to free safety in 2018 because Edmunds could not play it.

Edmunds this year had ZERO of these in every category.

Pass Defended Davis had 8, more than double of Edmunds 3 this year.

Davis is hand down better than Edmunds at SS; now with Minkah at FS there is no reason to force Davis to play there.

But, it looks like Davis is planning on signing for big money somewhere else, so it may not matter anyway.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Dupree showed flashes of his ability in the past. He just couldn't do it often enough. Edmunds makes virtually no big plays and he also takes some lousy angles in pursuit. That can be fixed, but it is far less likely that he can repair his lack of ball skills.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He can plan for that all he wants, but I'm not sure what Davis has done to make any team want to give him big money.

Just in case, let's send every team a lowlight reel. Maybe just focus on the time he slammed into Joe Haden on what should have been an interception in the Pittsburgh end zone, probably costing the Steelers the game against the Chargers in 2018 with one of the dumber plays I've seen a Steeler make in recent seasons.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Vince got benched as a starter two years ago. Last year he didn't start either. That's why Barron was brought here. Cut your starter and we are back to vince, which weakens the defense. Add that with the possible loss of dupree and hargraves and we are going the wrong way with our defense again.:cool:

20. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    All of that may or may not be true but the bottom line is they’re very,very unlikely to cut him to save 1mil.. That would be like saying you wouldn’t take a player like VW even as a back up for 1 mil. and you can forget about getting rid of Pouncey too ,he’s not going anywhere.

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

who is your starter? If you keep cutting these guys like barron you sign after one year, guys will quit signing with us. Bad signings and over priced players that don't play up to their pay scale got us in this mess. Is Vince worth 7 mil. A year? :cool:

22. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    No way in hack can we cut VW, this is just a stupid move financially. No way I want this team to eat 6 mil to save 968K and still need to replace VW. I know you hate VW and that is fine I get it but he didn't play that bad last year and he certainly didn't play bad enough for us to take that kind of hit to the cap. JMO Next year maybe we save 4 mil and eat 3 mil that I can live with, don't like it but will live with it.

23. dexter402

Nov 3, 2011
    I think Vince has played well as a support player and I don't see anyway we cut him. Cutting Barron would save us 5+ million on the cap is why I suggested him, I also don't think he played particuarly well and the plan was to have him transition Bush to a full time player. Vince was great with a player like Shazier next to him, hopefully that is what we have with Bush and now need to find the developmental/backup to go with them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The issue with Williams is the dead money if they cut him. They just don't save much on the cap if they let him go, so better to keep him. Even if he is only a part-time player and special teams guy, he has value.

Regarding Barron, players aren't going to hold it against the Steelers if they cut him. Any NFL player with a clue (or a decent agent) knows they can be cut loose at any time if they don't get the job done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    This^

• Like Like x 1
  26. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Edmunds will suck as ILB and just fade away into Jarvis Jones heaven