1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvin Lewis, Rooney Rule is not enough.

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Spencer, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    Marvin commented more needs done with the Rooney Rule for minorities to get a better chance.
    I'm not saying he's wrong or right but, he can only look at himself for his lost opportunities of remaining a head coach or becoming a head coach once again.
    16 seasons without a playoff win doesn't bode well for anyone's resume.
    And in my opinion, his lack of enthusiasm for curbing some of the antics of his off the wall players would make me hesitant of hiring him if I was an owner. But again, winning cures a lot of problems.

2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I agree with the OP about winning is everything. My understanding of the Rooney Rule is that teams "should attempt" to diversify their candidate pools when interviewing/hiring HC's. I don't believe it's mandated. But to a man, I doubt seriously that Mike Tomlin, Tony Dungy, Mike Singletary, Anthony Lynn, Art Shell or Marvin Lewis himself would want to think for a minute that they were hired simply because of race. That to me would be very demeaning. Each should be hired because they present the best chance to lead their respective prospective teams to championships - period. If quotas is what Lewis is seeking, then would he support 50.52% of HC's being women?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Then a certain percentage would have to be LGBTQRSTUV! Do you really want to be forced to hire Todd Bowles or Marvin Lewis? Or, maybe, you could just hire the best person for the job!

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    What's the odds of a minority replacing Tomlin when he leaves? Vegas on top of this yet? My money is on 100 to 1.

• Like Like x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Sadly, American Gridiron Football is not as much of a diverse sport as say, the NBA. Now, there are many factors as to why this is the case; players having more pull and authority within said Teams Professional Sports Entertainment being among them. However, none of that is entirely the case.

The issue with the Rooney Rule is that currently, as we speak, Owners are looking into fads and not ethics here. Much like Santesteel stated, the primary objective is to win. That form of winning however is Owners believing that the next Sean McVay or even soon to be Head Coach in Greg Roman could be theirs. Sadly though and, so far, the next Sean McVay or even Greg Roman has not materialized yet.

Here is the biggest picture though. The whole "Sean McVay Fad" revolves around Offensive minded coaches. Sans Hue Jackson, who already had his shot, how many other Offensive minded minorities are there in either the NFL or even in the collegiate game?! That is however, just a microcosm of the biggest issue; fads.

Again everyone and, keep in mind, most of these Owners are not actually what one considers "Sports Owners". Many of them are not like the Rooneys, if any. As such, their only major way to achieve success is find the biggest form of success out there currently; flash in a pan like McVay or not.

Again, like @santeesteel stated, Owners want to win above all else. How they are attempting to win though is the issue. Until the rise of Defenses happen sooner than later, expect the Rooney Rule to be blown over.

6. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Miami's coach looked decent this year. Considering what he had going on upstairs.

7. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Would that then be the "Knoll Rule"? ;)

8. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Yes, they closed the season really strong after a terrible start.

9. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Who didnt know Lewis was just a token interview, was he nieve enough to think he had a shot at that job, he's dumber than I thought if he did.....

10. Hanratty#5

Apr 20, 2019
    I posted on another thread about minorities complaining that teams have already made their coaching selection before bringing in a minority to interview for no other reason than to satisfy the Rooney rule.
    If that is how teams are going to dance around the Rooney rule, then the rule is basically worthless.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    They do or they don’t? If the rule is causing so much drama it’s time to revamp the rule and change the name. If they don’t do either soon we will be the only organization abiding by it...I think when it was first conceived they figured they would put a name that garnered respect on it. Now that it has become a farce it’s time to try and make the rule more viable and change the name. IMO at this point having the name of the rule attached to our organization will cast a light on how we handle our HC situation ,while everyone else just gets away with checking a box....

I mentioned a article from last summer where MR Rooney was commenting about the league needing to to do a better job with the hiring of minority coaches. I felt he painted themselves into a corner then and the corner is getting smaller now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    My opinion is that the Rooney family has always been at the front of giving minorities opportunities. Coaches, scouting black colleges, pushing for the league to get on board. I agree that the best prospect should get the job regardless of ethnicity. My comment is based on the likely hood that the Rooneys would like to see more minorities be given an opportunity to coach at the pro-level. Not so much burdened because the rule carries their name.

13. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017

Edit: i feel that the Rooneys would be upset if they changed the name. Your right though, about teams just interviewing just to satisfy the rule.

14. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I’m sure they would as well , as well as many others would like to see the same. I don’t think there’s a agenda against hiring minority coaches like some proponents of the rule claim. Not so much burdened by it but it would just be human to have some pause when the time comes to evaluate your HC knowing that whatever decision is made will carry the weight of being the stewards of the rule in the first place. So instead of hirings and firings being based on ability and performance there’s the veil of hypocrisy they would have to deal with as well. JMO

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    what was Lewis' suggestions for improving it, does anyone know?

16. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I think it's a certainty. You can't be a Rooney and not practice what you preach. It would be a PR nightmare..

17. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Agree. I'm sure there are many capable candidates.

18. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Force them to hire minorities? Lol I mean seriously what else can you do?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Hanratty#5

Apr 20, 2019
    Lewis said that he would like to see teams hire more minority assistant coaches. That way there would more of a chance for minorities to be hired as head coach because there would be a lot more of them to interview.

20. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Marvin didnt do that when he was coaching, but now he wants to see it happen, strange change of mind....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Hanratty#5

Apr 20, 2019
    I just saw Rooney on the NFL Network talking about his disappointment with the lack of minority hirings. He said the Rooney rule needs to be expanded to the OC and DC positions as well. He also is looking at making it mandatory that multiple minorities are interviewed for HC and GM positions instead of just one.

22. Diamond

May 26, 2012

Looks like arty boy wants a quota system,
    Getting this passed by 32 owners wont happen......

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Any "rule" which pushes you to do "anything" based on race, is a bad idea! PERIOD!

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011

Is he gonna push to apply it to the players too? I’d say that’s a big fat no. Art is too big of a “social justice warrior” for me. Too bad he doesn’t focus more on creating a good football team. He claimed he wasn’t disappointed with attendance being down at home games. If he keeps up with his garbage, the fans may put that to the test.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Fitchner & Butler could be replaced Artie.