1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bud Dupree is the perfect candidate for a one-year tag

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hawaii 5-0, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'd say Lloyd was an exception that proves the rule, but that particular rule is a couple of decades out of date.

LLoyd retired over 20 years ago. Relative to the other players in the league, 228 pounds ain't what it used to be.

Lloyd was considered relatively undersized at the time, but he was a fantastic athlete with a wonderful nasty streak. Edmunds is even smaller and there is no reason to believe he could take on linemen the way he would have to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    He'd be better at Lloyd's weight. Imagine him at Woodley's 246.

3. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
  4. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I said the same thing earlier in the thread. TJ absolutely deserves an extension this off season and it may impact what happens to Bud.

They may be able to do with T.J. what the saints did with Thomas, sign the extension and pay a signing bonus of say 8-10m but push the bulk of the cost in to later years, minimising the initial cap hit. He gets a pay day without crippling the 2020 cap. It would still make it very tricky to keep everyone that they want to keep though.

6. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    A few of us have talked about this in another thread. The thing about this article is it says "keeping Bud not as tough as you think" that is wrong. Look I have been on the get rid of Vance train but to replace him with Vannett or another in the weak FA TE class is not easy. Also this guy talks about cutting Barron, Ckick, Berry and Foster (all which I agree with) then never talks about their replacements. At the end he says there is 9 mil left well they their replacement will cost money and then 5-6 is for the rookie class. So my point about this article is it is not as easy as he is saying. This is a very good article and it shows numbers to who we can restructure however this will not be easy. jmo

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I assume the idea behind cutting Chickillo is to use guys already on the roster and possibly a draft pick. Berry's replacement will be cheaper. If they let Foster go, that could cost because it likely means signing Finney.

You raise a very good point about tight end. Vannett will get something and he really isn't a good option. Unless they think Gentry will actually be ready to be useful, they've got serious problems there.

The only way Barron stays is if they let Dupree go and try him on the outside. I'm not supporting that idea, but keeping him at inside linebacker makes no sense. He can't do what they brought him in to do, which was help in pass coverage, and he is below average against the run. Better to play Williams and Bush while giving Gilbert a shot to take on a larger role.

8. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Who is on the roster that can replace Chick, Ola????? That and a rookie which I am fine with but he still will cost money say 400-500k. Finney is on the roster so add another 450k for a back up there. Punters don't come cheap if you want a good one which if we want to win we better have one there is another 1 mil. so right there is a couple mil of that left over money just replacing what we had, right?

Glad you brought up Gentry the burning question for me is where is he at as far as his role on this team? Is he able to fill Vannett's role from last year, is he a receiving threat or more of a blocker and do we know that answer? If he can't step up after one year cut him lose draft or sign one that might, I hate when we hold on a guy who has no future for us. One year under his belt he is either a back up of bye bye, jmo.

Barron has to go just because of the cap but AQL and Thesteeldeal both had good opinions about moving Edmunds into Barrons role and getting a better safety. I like that a lot it saves money and also help the team cause Edmunds stink IMO at safety.

No matter what it isn't as easy as they think to get Bud tagged and fix everything, it can be done but not very easy.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Purely receiving threat. Don't know how much progress he has made to be an inline blocker. Hopefully a big jump in his functional strength from year one to year two.

He was a 5th rd project so I doubt they give up on him after only 1 season unless he has completely underwhelmed.

He's a wild card, will be interesting to see what kind of progress he has made.

12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Thanks, receiving thread is a big need and is very attractive. I remember him being a late round pick making him a long shot and a project but my question is how has he progressed? Is he a guy that can add to this team in year two or not? If he can't get him out of here and bring in at worse another project that has a chance to help after year one if not before. When we are so tight against the cap and have so many needs on a team very close to being a winning team we can't afford to have guys in these positions of need taking 2-3 years to develop. jmo

13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    246? When was Woodley 246? High school? He was 266 at his scouting combine in 2007.

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The problem with the Edmunds move is there really isn't much reason to believe he can make the transition. The excuse for Edmunds for a while was that he hadn't played strong safety for very long because he moved around in college. Suddenly, he is going to be better with another position switch, one for which he is most likely going to have to change his body and put on some muscle?

I'm betting the search for a punter would go the cheaper route, grabbing a couple of free agents and letting them battle it out, rather than bringing in somebody more expensive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I am usually diligent in verifying my facts Steel Elvis. I even remember looking up Woodleys weight before posting. I don't know what happened, brain-fart. 266 is the right weight. I was using Woodley as an example for the wow factor.

16. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I liked Edmunds because of his athletic abilities, thought he could transition well to SS with his speed & build. I was wrong & you had him pegged right from the day they took him in the first round. Yeah a third rounder at best.

17. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I’m not saying the Edmunds move would be easy or a slam dunk right away but at least he has some experience at the position. Moving Barron to OLB would be a even bigger leap of faith. He would have to put on significant weight as well ,he’s already maxed out as he used to be a Safety and also he has never played the position. There’s no way he holds up against the run either. Edmunds clearly seems to be failing at S. His issues are mainly that he lacks ball skills and has poor awareness with the ball in the air. I’d say pretty significant weaknesses for someone trying to play S.

Edmunds putting on weight is the easy part for him. He’s shredded right now and probably deliberately trying to keep weight off. With that part out of the way the question is does moving him closer to the LOS help to mask his deficiencies as a S? I don’t think it could hurt. If we are slowly coming to grips with the fact S may not be the best option for him....why not try something else? Something he’s at least familiar with. Finding a SS in FA and or the draft shouldn’t be too difficult....imo. I think at least attempting to move him now gives is a option when it’s contract time. If he’s not the answer at S then at least maybe he becomes part of a sub package. Either that or we missed completely on a 1st round pick. I’d like to explore other options before admitting that.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

You also have to take into account he will go from starter to back up......

19. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Barron played 750 snaps.That’s nothing to sneeze at:shrug: but your point stands;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019

Hey, AskQuestionsLater.

Here is the problem as related to your quote: ” I REALLY hope the same can be said for Terrell Edmunds when his time comes”.

If Edmunds “Breaks-Out” in his last year of the contract we have a similar problem as we now have with Dupree. That is, Little to No Leverage for contract negotiations. Because it took Bud until his last year to finally get it together, he is now in the “Driver’s Seat” per say regarding contract negotiations. Given that, this is what will now potentially happen with Dupree:

• He will go to Free Agency and command a ton of money.
    • We will have to determine if we can draw up a contract that is competitive to other offers and possibly overpay him.
    • We will have to apply one of the tags to retain him.
    • We just let him go and have gotten one decent year out of five.
    Also, with only one good season under the player's belt we can not even be sure if he is a “One-Year Wonder”.

This is “Totally Unacceptable” for player development. This is where someone(s) must be held accountable. Such as: Scouts, Position Coach, Coordinator Coach, Head Coach, etc.

We really needed Bud to have emerged at some point in Year #2; which is what I typically expect at the latest for a First Rounder. Not always but usually. For a First Rounder, I usually give him the 1st Year to find his way. Then by some point during Year #2, many players often say the game is starting to “Slow Down” for them. This is when I typically expect to see a much better and polished product. Even Year #3 on a five year contract still keeps the Front Office in the “Driver’s Seat” per say regarding contract negotiations. If the player can then put good seasons back to back, this immensely helps Management to conclude that he was not just a “One-Year Wonder”.

Prime Example: Troy Polamalu. There were a number of people writing him off during his rookie year. Well, we all know how that turned out.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    .....And that is a step back from the 1036 that Edmunds logged which was 2nd most on the team. I am not trying to cut him out I am trying to find a spot for him while also saving money(Barron) and finding a better starter that TE at SS.

22. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Trade both of the Edmunds to Buffalo. Get their 6th & 7th round picks. Instant upgrade from last year.

• Like Like x 1
  23. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Me too. I think if he excels in sub packages 750 is great. You know I’m in in drafting a SS...

• Like Like x 1
  24. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Keep in mind that I have been on record in stating that, assuming Terrell does break out, he is likely gone anyway. Minkah being simply better than Terrell is part of the equation. The other aspect of the equation is the more pressing one; they both are from the same Draft Class.

Since Article 7 was issued back during 2011 as part of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, no NFL Team who has had more than one 1st Round pick has kept all of them. For that matter, who knows what will become of Article 7 anyhow due to the current CBA expiring after the 2020 Season?!?! I doubt Pittsburgh will end up picking up options for both Fitzpatrick and Terrell collectively.

This all leads up to the highlight as to why Terrell ia unlikely to finish his career here; Minkah himself. As I see it, there is more information now about why the team traded for Minkah than originally thought. For that matter, much of that information was already leaked at Alabama's 2018 Pro Day when Pittsburgh brought the house. As I and others have stated, Rashaan Evans was Pittsburgh's target but that did not mean that neither Tomlin nor Colbert were ignorant towards other talent there. Minkah was one of those players.

Since his arrival, Pittsburgh's Defense has added yet another dimension to it. Most importantly, he has solved Pittsburgh's biggest issue since Troy left; impact. Minkah generates impact. Terrell does not.

Overall, Minkah is just more than a trade for a 1st Round Pick. Minkah is the contingency plan should Terrell not develop. Given what I have seen and have defended him these past two years for, I have all but given up on Terrell developing ANY ball skills.

25. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I'm not questioning your theory, but doesn't every team bring the house to Alabama's pro day?