1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Let’s talk Offense

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TarheelFlyer, Jan 8, 2020.

1. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    QB
    Ben
    Rudolph
    Vet - we need someone who knows this role and can help mentor Rudolph, not another young guy.
    OF NOTE: Add a QB coach

RB
    Conner
    Snell
    Samuels
    Nix
    Wythe

TE
    ???
    Vannett - Resign him. Good number 2 if Ben is QB
    Gentry

WR
    JuJu
    DJ
    Washington
    ??? - I would like to see a vet guy here. You might sign 2 just with the hope that somehow one of them actually works out of a change
    Holton - I am fine with him as a special teamer, just NEVER any O snaps

Keep 2 or 3 on the PS roster. Give Cain a chance. If you get a chance at maybe a guy like Gandy-Golden from Liberty (big WR with red zone potential) take a shot on him in the 5th.

Oline
    AV
    Finney
    Pouncey
    Decastro
    Feiler
    Chuks
    Banner
    ??? - Guard
    ??? - Center

You look to add depth here, but if Finney and Foster both go, then you must at least consider if Feiler starts at G and Chuks at RT. That means you only have Banner and you must add some depth, no matter what.

• Like Like x 1
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Doomed

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Dont forget Paxton Lynch at QB.

I fully expect Vance back at TE next year.

We also have Derwin Gray, they decided to keep him over Fred Johnson, so they must see something in him.

4. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I just keep taking a step back and realize that as bad as the offense was, a healthy Ben would have been at least 3 more wins putting them at a 11-5 record.

With that in mind, the offense begins and ends with the offensive line. They need to get better and younger. With that the all other things will fall into place.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    That isn't going to help the Steelers next year to draft a Guard or Tackle. I think we really only got one more shot next year with Ben to make a run.

If you really want to make a long term decision, yeah draft a tackle and kick Feiler into Guard.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  6. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I'm not saying they don't do some of those things listed above....a vet backup QB and a QB coach is a must, but taking a WR or RB in round 2 (unless a 1st round talent manages to fall to them then consider it) would be a mistake IMO.

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They would save 5.6 million by not paying Vance option for 2020, I think he had 38 catches and 3 TDs this season :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I am not disagreeing with you cause I am on the let Vance go train as well, however one thing to keep in mind is QB play. The fact that we had one of if not the worst QB play had a role in everyone's numbers going down. We do know a healthy Ben or even a vet QB will make a difference with all our pass catching peeps. Ben love throwing to Vance so I would have no problem with bringing him back at a lower number. The problem is the weak TE FA class and if we let Vance go will someone else throw more than we want to spend for him because of that?

IMO the real problem here at TE is the progress of Gentry. I talked about this in another thread but he needs to step up or be gone. If he can't pick up the system after a year why waste a spot on him. In this day and age so many rookies see the field in the first year, heck even in the first week. The days of a guy sitting and learning are over. The other question on Gentry is what kind of a player is he? Is he a passing threat or a blocker? We need someone here who can cat passes, I know some of the old school guys will have a problem with this and say there is so much more to the TE game than blocking. I say yes that is true however the NFL is no longer a rushing league it is a pass happy league and we need to change with the times, right?

9. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    After this season QB has to be the main focus this off season. I feel we have to stick with Mason due to the fact that he is in year 3. Bring in a vet AND either draft a guy later on in the draft or sign on as an undrafted FA. A quick/early look at some guys projected as undrafted FA's who may have some value to learn on our practice squad are but not limited to : Steven Montez, Nate Stanley and Cole McDonald. I said last off season we should draft or sign a QB every year and got a lot of flack for it, well I am saying it again. There is not a position more important than QB I think we just learned this.

As far as RB goes this is a crowded house and yet so many questions. I really feel like Conner is our best option but can't stay healthy and will be a FA after the season. Snell has a lot of hope but he as well had some injury problems and is he a #1 back? Samuels I feel has one role and is not a fit for this crowed house. Whyte I like a ton but is also a FA after this season. Edmunds imo has no place on our 53 but would like to see him kept on the PS. I feel like while this is a crowded position it also is a position that could be thin after this year. Why not spend a pick on a guy like Dillon, Hubbard, Etienne or if Dobbins falls to us in the 2nd?

I am one of the few that feels our WR position is set and I am fine with Juju, JW, DJ and Cain. Better QB play will help this position and while we have seen flashes from JW and DJ this year Juju did take a step back. I feel when Ben comes back this group will really open eyes.

TE is a position that I feel we could use a top pick for and needs attention. Vance needs to take a cut imo. I would like to bring him back but at a lower rate, Ben loves throwing to him. I feel Gentry needs to step up or be gone. If we let Vance go than probably need to bring back Vannett but if we bring Vance back I say bye bye Vannett. Draft someone with some pass catching skills and the early look at this draft class shows a lot of big red zone targets.

OC this is a spot that might be right under QB as the most important. Fitch needs to go plain and simple and that is all I am going to say on that as I don't want to turn this into a bash the OC thread. QB coach is a need lets get one in here please please please........

10. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I'm in the "we would have been 8-8 this year with Ben" camp, Maybe 9-7. I think we will be lucky to see 10 wins next season. The wheels are coming off folks. Our defense will help Tomlin with his legacy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    So why weren't we 11-5 last yr?

12. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    IMO Ben is done and we have no good replacement for him. Our division rivals will all have a better QB.

Now I hope Ben proves me wrong.

13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Someone brought up Bill Callahan in another thread. If he doesn’t receive any astronomical offers, why not bring a guy with that experience in as a asst. to the OL coach and to the OC. I don’t see any way it would hurt. This way if Ben doesn’t make it back RF can just go with him and Callahan can step in as the OC for the time being. Give him a chance at that point in bringing MR along. If Ben is a no go do we really want to sit through another year of RF proving he’s not the right guy and hearing about another amazing job he did despite losing Ben. I don’t....

Edit: It doesn’t necessarily have to be Callahan but someone of that ilk....

• Like Like x 4
  14. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    True. If we didn’t trade for Minkah it could have been worse.

15. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Agree. I'm not sure we give up our #1 pick this year if Ben doesn't go down when he did. I hope I'm wrong & Colbert's team would have pulled the trigger with a healthy Ben considering our safety situation the past few seasons.

Edit: past many seasons, since Troy left.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    you're not wrong lol

17. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    We have no evidence whatsoever that Ben is done so we should give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

I believe they will stick with Mason and Lynch but if they are adamant to go get a veteran then Tyrod Taylor could be available at $5m if the chargers were open to a trade. They will need to clear cap room for the $35m they will give Brady when he goes there!!

After that, TE and OL in the draft and maybe a WR deep threat, Dorsett is a 4.3 guy hitting free agency?

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Mayfield will lose more games than he wins, book it.
    Lamar has maybe 2 more years playing his style of football, then he will need to lean on his defense reading.
    Nobody cares what the Bungholios do.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Ben will need a clutch player to lean on at times, not too comfortable with him trying to do it all. Someone will need to step up or another non-losing square peg for Tomlin's round streak.

20. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

I get all the Skins games here in Virginia. After Gruden was canned, Callahan didn't help their offense much.

21. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    That’s fine I was just using him as a example. My edit said as much. . What I’m getting at is we have a inexperienced OL coach and a QB coach promoted to OC. The HC isn’t a offensive guy. It wouldn’t hurt to have a former experienced OL/OC coach in the room.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    The OC position is a one person job. It’s Fichtner’s job and not Fichtner’s and Ben’s job. If RF doesn’t know what to do w/o Ben at the helm then get rid of him. No season ever follows script. If he can’t adapt to adverse situations then he’s not our man.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Bringing the wildcat back from the dead isn’t adapting? Sheesh...tough crowd.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    WR coach is the first I'd go after. Someone that can bring our young players along. Drop foster and find out who can play guard. Gray was a draft pick. Sign finney. Do not let him walk. Sign feiler.

:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Defense