1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Could Tua drop?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    PFF had a good article on him, they deem him absolutely a franchise QB from a talent standpoint with only a weak arm being the lone knock on him. However, from a health standpoint, there is a lot of risk for whomever takes him.

PFF still has him going in the first but an interesting nugget was it will be 4 to 6 months before doctors will know what is going on with his hip and if he'll be given a clean bill of health or not. 4 months is on the low end and right when the draft is. If there is still no word on his health by draft time, would a team risk taking him in the first?

For that matter should we risk taking him in the second?

To quote PFF:

Avascular necrosis of his hip’s ball joint could develop at any time over the next 4-6 months following his injury resulting in the death of that bone.

This is a career ending injury if things don't break in Tuas favor and a big risk for any team who drafts him without a clean bill of health.

• Like Like x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He may drop in the first round, but I don't see him making it to the second round. Teams with multiple first round picks will take a chance on him in the first round.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Won't drop past Miami at #5 I figure.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

That would be a foolish move on their part

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    A weak armed midget, made off glass. Sounds like a first rounder to me. I don't get the hype. Especially when you consider the other QB's that Bama has won with.

6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    What @SteelCity_NB said Blast.

Miami will go for him no doubt. Heck, Miami brought the HOUSE to that Alabama/LSU matchup. That said, there is an interesting player in this as well.

The soon to be Los Vegas Raiders is the Wild Card here. Keep in mind they have two First Round picks. Should the Raiders elect to believe Tua to be the guy, that is what the asking price is likely to be.

Should that happen, Miami essentially controls Day 1 of the 2020 NFL Draft. They would still need a Quarterback but I believe that bringing in a vet then drafting one would be the safe play assuming Los Vegas makes the move. Before that though, one major aspect needs fixed.

Tua or whomever, Miami NEEDS to draft Offensive Lineman. Period. Starting Tua without some good protection accelerates his chances of injury.

7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Weak armed eh?!?!

Check those games again. Plenty of juice. That is not the major reason he was considered the number one player in the draft before his injury though.

His leadership, Football IQ, decision making, accuracy and improvisation skills are second to none among QBs in the class. His arm strength is not Justin Herbert level but it is still above average; good enough when one is mobile.

That said, I do agree with you on his current draft stock. There is no doubt Tua has the talent to take his next NFL Team to the next level. That injury history though, his hip injury no less, is a major red flag.

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Very, with the other QB's that would still be in play.

9. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

By any chance did you watch Saban and Belichek: The Art of Coaching?

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Caught very little of it but want to check out the whole thing, looked good.

I liked the documentary on him during his Cleveland stint. Might have been a 30 for 30 film, not sure.

11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

If I am Miami, I would be listening to trade offers at pick 5. Jon Gruden would not think twice to pull the trigger in my opinion. Derek Carr stinks in comparison to Tua anyway. Still a high risk but that is what Los Vegas would end up promoting anyways!!

Keep in mind the Raiders will be moving to a new Stadium this season. A $2 Billion Dollar stadium in the heart of "Sin City" needs an electrifying presence to put some butts in the seats. Nevermind that, Jon Gruden wants a winner.

Tua is that and more. Again, high risk but high reward if all goes well. Tua has proven himself to be a world beater when healthy. Key word is health though.

Regarding Miami, I would instead take Jacob Eason later on assuming Los Vegas gives up their two First Rounders. Trade down Pittsburgh's pick 18 and acquire a late First. Draft Jacob Eason with that pick instead. Have him learn behind a vet yet again; presumably Ryan but could be someone else. Use the remaining four First Rounders to stockpile on talent; Impact Player talent.

12. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

It was interesting and fairly well done. Something that stuck out tome was Saban talking about himself. They got onto the topic of the draft and combine. He said something to the effect of I’m an and but guy. If there’s anand I have something positive to say. If there’s a but well then.. he went on to say general managers never call and ask about his players. That BB is the only one that does.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I was being a little sarcastic. Blast was saying that one of PFF's knocks on him was his weak arm.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Will really all depend on what the word is surrounding his health. Every year someone drops that surprises everyone. It's easy for fans to say absolutely you take him but they have nothing at stake.

I see the logic behind a team with two first rd picks using one on him but at the same time do you really want to just throw one away because you have an extra one.

Could all be moot if his hip is completely healed, have to take him then even know hip injuries are tricky but if the prognosis is still ongoing, not so sure he will be chosen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I know they have made major inroads in the Medical profession
    but that type of injury would scare the hell out of me. Oh
    The players get stronger and faster in the NFL. Will be pretty tough
    getting away from these type of players. To invest that type of money
    in a player that his career could be done when one of the above ends his career.
    I can't take a first round risk.

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I understand.

However, me and you now know two things about the Raiders. Something that has always stuck with them since Al Davis. More importantly, who they are.

The Raiders are renegades; through and through. Breaking the conventions is right up their alley; loved, hated or otherwise. In addition, Mark Davis needs those butts in the seats in his new Stadium as Los Vegas wants to see flash and style; lots of it.

Tua is that and more. Again though, health is the biggest issue. That said, Jon Gruden has shown you and me both he does not care about the inherent risks of a player.

Take for example Vontaze Burfict. Yes, him and Tua could not be further from each other in terms of moram grounds but Burfict's talent is what made Jon gravitate toward him... for better or worse. Tua is something a bit different.

Tua has the injury woes. Many people are too caught up with the hip injury and not looking at the others. Again though, Jon is the exact type of Coach and GM to not care. For him, talent supercedes all.

Keep in mind he passed up Josh Allen for Clelin Ferrell. :eek:

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

Wouldn't surprise me in the least, probably right. I'd be nervous as hell making that pick though :prayer:

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Cole McDonald. University of Hawaii. :cool:

19. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    You didn't update all your predictions and results in your Sig...

20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Hm?!

You talking about the Draft or about the 2019 Class?!

21. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Steelers 2019 Rookie Stat Predictions (Final: Regular season)

Devin Bush Jr.: 115 total tackles (88 solo), 7 TFL, 7 Sacks, 2 FF, 1 FR, 1 INTs, 9 pass break ups.

Diontae Johnson: 37 rec, 430 yards, 11.6 Yard AVG, 5 touchdowns.

Justin Layne: Incomplete (Redshirted)

Your Signature line

22. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Questions with Ben's health, questions with Tua's health, questions with Mason's development, that would be a lot of questions in that QB room.

If Tua does drop to where we pick in the 2nd then fear the worst for his prognosis...

23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Oh!!!

My mistake my man! Very reasonable explanation for that. I always do my predictions in the Preseason. Before the Regular Season starts, I make my "Final" predictions for the Rookie Class.

After that prediction is made, I don't change them. Like to challenge myself to see how close or far off I was. Helps me improve my predictions for future players.

24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:th thgoodpost:

That would then be the "STAY AWAY" aspect then.

25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I see Lamar Jackson has been coached up quite well
    to avoid serious hits. He will have to have his head on a swivel
    for a long time. Someone will take him out, it is only a matter of time.