1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bud Dupree is the perfect candidate for a one-year tag

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hawaii 5-0, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Apparently, you missed a few things. One is that the 3-4 works a heck of a lot better with legitimate pass rushers at both outside linebacker spots. That was a big part of the team's improvement this season.

The other is that none of the other outside linebacker options on the roster can play. Chickillo sucks and he is the best of what they have. Losing Dupree opens up yet another hole on a team that has very limited resources for next season.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That sounds about right. Dupree would likely get at least that and a multi-year commitment as a free agent.

3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    $16.2 m if he is tagged as a linebacker. I think it is closer to $19m if Bud disputes that and insists on being tagged as an edge rusher. That issue might come to a head yet.

The Texans tagged clowney a few times, does anybody know if that was as a LB or DE? There is a significant difference in the cost

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Bud is a OLB and will get tagged as such

5. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    May not be that simple. For the purposes of the Tag there is no differentiation made between LB & OLB.

Just googled it and Clowney had that dispute with the Texans, he wanted to be tagged as a DE at the higher rate. They tagged him as a LB and traded him away, albeit with a ‘no tag’ clause as part of the trade so the Seahawks have to sign him long term or let him go this off season.

6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Dupree is a linebacker and he has stated that he will sign the franchise tag. The Steelers should expect him to keep his word.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    So you’re saying we can rent Clowney for a year on a 1 year prove it deal? :hehehe:

8. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    I know he said he’d sign the tag, but there are different levels of compensation depending on position. Bud may be technically called a linebacker but his role is more closely aligned to a DE than it is an ILB for example, and there is a fairly large premium on the open market for a good pass rushing OLB over a middle LB. The article below goes in to a bit more detail on the potential issue. He and his agent would be foolish not to at least try for the higher figure.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.be...bud-dupree-in-2020-it-could-get-a-complicated

9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Some attribute his success this year to increased pass rush%. Haven’t looked into the actual numbers myself but wouldn’t it be ironic if his increased pass rush % and subsequent results we’ve been waiting for for years leads to him pricing himself out of town....

10. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    It’s only a $2m - $3m difference in the tag amount but significant for a cap strapped team. Hopefully he will sign as a LB if they go that route.

If there was a designated ‘Edge’ position there is no doubt that is where he would be signing the tag though. The position groups are quite broad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    That 3 million brings Hilton back as well so yeah it’s a significant difference.

12. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I attribute it to being able to use both arms while being mostly healthy this season.
    When he had a bad shoulder, he said it was painful to even lift that arm, let alone make a move against a 300-lb lineman.

I said before this season, that if all goes well, Bud would out-play his $9M option year, even though that would price him out of Pittsburgh.
    The tag price is at the salary of the top-5 players in the league at that position.
    Bud isn't even the best OLB on the team. I don't think they should use it.
    Just try to get him signed for a reasonable long term contract before the new season, or let him try the free market.

13. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I hope he isn't tagged, I hope they sign him to a deal that is a little more cap friendly.

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He isn't going to sign a reasonable long-term contract. He's going to be overpriced if he hits the free market.

The franchise tag keeps him at a number that really isn't that bad and it puts the Steelers at no long-term risk. If his improvement this season is a fluke, they can just let him move on as a free agent after 2020. Also, at that point they are going to need the room to try to lock up Watt.

15. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    It is the average of the highest 5 salaries in the league at OLB.
    It is that bad, to be committing that much to the second best OLB on the team.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You have to look at it in the full context. Sometimes the guy making the most money isn't the best player. It is the one whose contract came up most recently. Also, having a strong pass rusher opposite Watt was a huge part of the team's success this season and they don't have a replacement behind him. It's time to give up on the idea that Adeniyi is the next Harrison. He isn't. He hasn't generated pressure in his limited snaps and he can't even beat out Chickillo as the first OLB off the bench.

The Steelers have limited cap room and no first-round pick. They need help at tight end. They need to address an aging offensive line. They also have long-term concerns at quarterback and running back and they at least need more depth at safety. Losing Dupree would create a major hole on defense, one they don't really have the resources to address. Putting the franchise tag on Dupree may be expensive in 2020, but it also might actually be the most cost-effective option they have.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    People are entitled to their theories and opinions on why he made a significant jump this year. There are many floating around. We know what they are. What I saw was a player who finally threw caution to the wind and played with the intensity and tenacity required to play at a high level. One of my biggest knocks on him was that he rarely put his nose in the fan. He would normally find himself standing around piles, this year he was in them. He rarely made plays down the line of scrimmage like we see from Watt on a regular basis(who I also give credit too ) . All of a sudden there he was making such plays. To me money may not have been the only factor but IMO it was the biggest one. He bet on himself and won. Good for him.

As far as the tag I wouldn’t be crazy against it. Unless I’m missing something though I would think his annual cap hit would be for around the same price as the tag is but for a longer term. I don’t know if that’s considered reasonable? It’s not like he’s going to sign a long term deal for 10 million a year. I’m far from a cap or salary expert though.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    After years of struggling to put together a good defense, the Steelers finally have one. We haven't even gotten to see it for a full season yet because it was a couple of weeks in when they got Fitzpatrick. I'd hate to see it already starting to come apart before we even get to see what they can do with a full year together.

19. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I'd rather he was priced out of town due to recent performance than be affordable because he spent 2019 doing what he did the first 4 years of his career.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Alvin Bud Dupree made $802,732 per sack this year.
    11.5 sacks

At $16million he would need 19.9 sacks to make $802,732 per sack

If he gets 11.5 sacks again next year at $16 million he makes $1,333,333 per sack
    -An increase of $530,601 per sack

Tag him, trade him & we can find someone cheaper to sack the QB across from Watt. Move Watt back to the blind side.

My thoughts on Dupree

Edit: put Terrell at lolb, just don't let him cover anybody...lol

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    There really is no reason to think Edmunds can be a quality pass rusher. He would also have to put on about 30 pounds to even have a chance at doing the job.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    We need to find something he does well...fast

T. Edmunds listed at 217lbs.
    G. Llyod Sr. was listed at 228lbs. :hehehe:...lol

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  23. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Yup agreed

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Edmunds should be going to take Barron's place and split time with Williams on the inside.

This all boils down to what TJ wants to do.

His brother signed an extension in his 4th year for 6yrs 100million. If TJ is expecting to do the same thing there is no way the Steelers can keep Dupree.

If TJ is wanting that extension this year and not have the Steelers exercise their 5th year option then Bud is gone. Bud's Steeler Life is in TJ's hands.

25. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Just to follow up: TJ Watt is the future face of this franchise; He is going to get whatever he wants!

• Agree Agree x 2