1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What do we draft?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Dec 24, 2019.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm thinking

2. DT/DE.

3. G.

4. C.

5. OLB

6. RB

7. WR.
    :cool:

2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I feel like we have needs at just about every place some bigger than others. My list of positions I want to concentrate on is OLB, QB, TE, OLINE and RB. I feel like it is way to early to pick a position to say we have to pick in the 2nd round. I have been talking a lot about TE in another thread and like this group so far. With Vance set to make 7 mil I am ready to move on from him. I am reading we are looking at a mid 50's pick so who are the 45-60 prospects?

https://www.drafttek.com/2020-NFL-Draft-Big-Board/Top-NFL-Draft-Prospects-2020-Page-1.asp

Going by this right here(which is very early) I would look at RB(Dobbins), TE(Okwuegbunam), QB(Fromm, Eason) and OLB(Zuniga). This would be my early list right now with so much gonna change with bowl games, combines and pro days. :smiley1:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    so what's your #1?

4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I'm sticking with offensive line.. Shane Lemieux OG from Oregon may be there, but I will include Ben Bredeson from Michigan and Lloyd Cushenberry from LSU (who can be G/C).

5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I am with Turtle. Offensive line has to be the top priority here. Outside of DeCastro and Feiler, everyone else is approaching or over the wayside of 30. Again though, if the Week 11 contest against the Los Angeles Rams was any form of foreshadowing, Offensive Center is the top priority.

For those that do not remember the lineup that day, here it is. Keep in mind that Ramon Foster was out with a concussion;

LT: Alejandro Villenueva (0 sacks given up)

LG: Matt Feiler (0 sacks given up)

C: Maurkice Pouncey (0 sacks given up)

RG: David DeCastro (.5 a sack given up. Other half was due to Randy for that disgusting playcall at Pittsburgh's own goal line)

RT: Chukwuma Okorafor (1 sack given up)

*** Zach Banner not starting over Chuks that day despite logging in more snaps at the time is very intriguing here ***

Again though, Offensive Center has to be addressed here. This is all assuming Ben restructures his contract to free up money for both Hargrave and Dupree. If not, go for the Interior Defensive Lineman.

Rashard Lawrence looks like a Steeler. Defensive lineman from LSU. Very versatile, a team leader and very consistent. Raw in some of the finer points but very sound from the fundementals and discipline of the position. He is worth a look.

• Like Like x 1
  6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    absolutely, defensive line would be my next choice. If they find a way to sign Hargrave, then I would push DL down a bit as a draft priority in the early rounds (2nd and 3rd comp)

• Like Like x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

That week 11 game keeps popping up in my head!! It is making it a bit more difficult for me to pinpont where exactly Kevin Colbert will go. The only major lead I have is that he was scouting players in the B1G back in October.

Beyond that, there really has not been any major developments or news since then. It stinks but then again, Kevin has always kept a very low profile. Best for him to do so any way. Would not want to cause too much of a distraction.

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
  9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    My #1 at #2? We have no number one this year. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Of course it all comes down to who we keep or can keep. With our troubles of getting an OLB in the past and no 1st rd. pick, I'd steer clear of this spot in the 2nd and try to sign dupree over hargraves if it came down to them. McCullers has to go too, so this is my thinking for DL first at #2. Maybe Leki Fotu from Utah.

Then I would start on the o-line depth. Easier to get some good interior linemen in 3-4 for the o-line then the d-line at those picks. Keeping finney and banner would give us some flexibility too.:cool:

11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I thought that was your list of priorities, not the round selections.

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Both. :cool:

13. steelfan

steelfan Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    TE has to be a top priority. Imagine how nice it would be to have a move TE open up the middle of the field. McDonald was a huge disappointment this year and Vannett is just a guy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We need to draft a punter .... apparently Braden Mann is the top prospect! He had an 80-yard punt against Clemson last year!

15. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    It's just an abysmal TE draft. No help to be found. We will have to find a UFA or stick with what we got.

16. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I see Hunter Henry is a UFA.

We should be all in on him.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    When in doubt draft lineman. That's my philosophy. A center is needed. If Chuks isn't coming around then LT becomes a need very soon. AV is getting close.

And if Buggs isn't the answer, going to need a DT.

18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    OL has to be a priority, SS, OLB. whether thru draft
    or FA. And a competent offensive coordinator.

19. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I have a feeling the offensive line and tight end will be addressed early and often.

20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Brycen Hopkins Purdue TE is a good prospect.

21. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    From a production standpoint you are correct. I think he was of the most productive TEs in college.

To me, he's a little small and a little slow. I'll get a good look at him at the combine. If he runs under 4.7 at over 255, then maybe we could have something.

22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah they had him listed at 245 lbs, he would need to put on 10-15 lbs to be more effective on the NFL.

23. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I still feel sick that we lost Fred Johnson... apparently Bengals put him at LT and played pretty well...

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Should we draft another 2nd-3rd rd WR this year? Or should they try to pull another Moncrief type signing? Lack of cap room might make that decision for them but they still need another WR.

On a related note, anybody see WR Jamal Custis play? See that he's on the practice squad. He's 6'5/215 and ran a 4.5 flat 40, very athletic and can jump. A rookie cut by the Chiefs from Syracuse

25. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Didn't we learn our lesson about signing hurt TE's from the Chargers?????