1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

3 things steelers must do this off season:

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Diamond, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Agreed.

Not having a dedicated QB Coach really bit us in the rear end this season. I wonder what could have been had we had one. Hopefully that gets addressed soon.

Now, as for the expensive vets, 100% on that. Fan favorite or not, show the likes of Ramon the door. Have Mark Barron follow suit.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I was going to say...

1. Get better!

2. Get mo' better!

3. Get even better than that!

However, I do agree with the article as well.

4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Problem with a salary cap is when your aging QB eats a big chunk. I would assume it catches up to all teams that have an above average QB. Damn Patriots have Brady making 15 mil a year and I think that's like 20th in the league.

5. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Ironically, Mark Whipple, Pitts OC who shares the Steelers facilities was once upon a time BB's QB coach. You'd think they could have worked out a job sharing arrangement with Pitt. :shrug:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    What kind of dumbass org drafts a possible franchise QB and doesn't give the kid every possible resource to succeed?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    One that isn't looking for a franchise QB? Not yet anyway.

8. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I would only sign Dupree if they can add a clause saying....If you go back to sucking like the first 4 years , you'll have to give the money back and you're gone"

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Well if they’re gonna claim they had a 1st round grade on MR and pick him .they should of hired a QB coach. I’ve been saying it myself before camp even started when I learned MR hired his own in the offseason. Glad to see ESPN is catching up...lol

• Like Like x 1
  10. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    They "have" a QB coach...One that doesn't want to rock Ben's boat. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He’s obviously got too much on his plate already....

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017

13. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Although insulting ... I agree. Maybe, give him some production clauses or incentives. But once they get that big contract ... it seem like they sit back and relax. They're not as hungry as they once were. Heck, even our kicker, took a season off

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Dupree would probably be valuable messing up another AFC's team cap space. Oakland is usually that team

15. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    OMG this. How in the world do we go into a season with not 1, but >> 2 << unproven rookies (essentially) backing up our time-worn franchise QB - and no bonafide QBs coach to work on simple things like mechanics and pocket awareness. This is shameful.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
    Wow - just no excuse there. Except arrogance that anyone would think their franchise QB is invincible.

17. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    If the Steelers bring in a veteran QB and make him the #2, we might as well forget about Rudolph being the heir apparent or even developing any further. They may bring in a veteran to be the #3 with the purpose of helping Rudolph learn, and is available if there is another season like this one or they find out Rudolph doesn't have the "it" factor. The fact that the Steelers have admitted that they had a 1st round grade on Rudolph suggests that he still has the possibility of being heir to the throne. The fact that the Steelers drafted Burns and Edmunds, because of 1st round grades, makes me suspicious of Rudolph being a 1st round talent.

• Like Like x 2
  18. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
    I'm torn with this one. I think he has the raw talent to be a vital cog in our pass rush for many seasons to come - but the antagonist in me wants to ask "where were you the first 4 years?". Was your performance this past season a result of knowing you needed to up your game for a fat contract, or did you finally get over the hump and figure something out? (or was it scheme-based, coupled with offenses having to pay more attention to TJ)

19. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Definitely need to free up cap space. McDonald, Foster, Chickillo, etc all have to go. Can't afford to keep Hargrave.

I'm 50/50 with signing Dupree.

I don't foresee any changes with the offensive staff. We wouldn't want to upset Ben now would we?:rolleyes:

We have to draft people that can play this year.

20. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Do we need a franchise QB to back up a franchise QB? I'm not following this reasoning. We had backups in place this year.

21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

While I do agree that the misses on both Burns and Edmunds are definitely concerns, I doubt Mason is within the same category of either. Mason has been playing QB since High School and, unlike the former two mentioned, he works on his craft. Heck, we saw a much more confident Mason against the New York Jets.

Had Mason finished that game, there is a good chance Pittsburgh wins that. For that matter, before Earl Thomas whacked him good, Mason was doing very well. At the absolute least, Mason got some much needed experience; experience that will aide him in his development.

Dude is definitely a fighter for certain. Hope to see major improvement in Year 3. Unlike any other position, most young QBs make the jump in this time. We all should know for certain if Mason is the heir apparent.

I do agree with you on this; a Veteran Backup who can teach Mason the do's and do nots should be on the agenda.

22. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
    Never said we needed a franchise QB to be a backup. But we didn't even have a veteran in the 2nd or 3rd string to lean on to not be the reason we lose. Given that scenario, it's imperative to have someone to coach out the oddities of MR's delivery. To coach out the tendency to stand in your own endzone like a statue against a blitzing defense.

We arrogantly went into another season thinking our 37-year-old QB was going to play every game, every down.

23. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Agree about Mason. We had shuuushhh, :icon e confused: "dobbs" on the roster at the start of the season. Not really a wiley vet.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    and the steelers played a lot of bad teams that could've made him look better than he really is.

25. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    We should forget about Rudolph being the heir apparent . . . Because he ain’t.

• Agree Agree x 1