1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Tomlin should still win Coach of the Year

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Dec 30, 2019.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I concur. Cannot go either way but I find Kyle's resume more impressive despite Baltimore's historic season. San Francisco turned their 4-12 campaign from a season ago into the number one seed in the Conference.

That said, cannot ignore John's work either. Lamar Jackson was largely an unknown given how this league has treated dual threat QBs. Given the fact that Lamar is likely to be NFL MVP, some of that credit does have to go to Harbaugh.

Then again... Greg Roman has been a larger part of Lamar's success than others are willing to give him credit for.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Maybe, maybe not. What is the goal of repeating the same stuff over and over about Tomlin? What do you hope to accomplish here. Honest question.

• Like Like x 3
  3. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Blast, let's not forget he also has trouble every year at the start of seasons also.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    I’d say a majority of the credit should go to Greg Roman.

5. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    So nothing is EVER Tomlins fault...Ok, What does he do well, I'm serious, List his good attributes that, In your mind makes him a good Coach

Motivator?
    Great lockeroom guy?
    Great X& 0 guy?
    Offensive Guru?
    Defensive Guru?
    Special teams ace?
    Innovator?

Not being a smartass, I just want to know, In your opinion, what he does well...

Because imo, I don't think he does many things well...The players seem to like him ( for the most part ) Other than that again, imo, He won because of a HOF QB for the majority of his career, and for most of that time...A great OL, RB, TE, and WR's to go with the HOF QB

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    He wears sunglasses really well. He spits out cliches like nobody's business. He chest bumps the players like he's one of them. Uh, let's see...that's all I got.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He thinks Fichtner has been amazing...so there’s that...lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    TOMLIN is a players coach.........

Yea that’s all I got.

Rooneys really like him I’m not sure why?

9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    That’s all? What about that other thing that you couldn’t say? Dying to know what that was.

10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

You are right. Greg should get the credit.

Keep in mind though that he was not the Offensive Coordinator of the Baltimore Ravens Coaching Staff in 2018; Lamar's Rookie Season. He became that in 2019. Here is one more piece of information that is not as well known as it should be about him.

Greg Roman has worked with this style of QB before. That one in San Francisco who's name shall not be said here. Lamar happens to be the upgraded form of "that" QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Use your imagination

12. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    It doesn't matter at all what the fans think he does well (or not) You should ask that question of the players.

13. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    He's very good at the type of scenario we saw this year. He's strong and principled. He stays positive and keeps the team focused. The players see his confidence, especially the young ones, and follow him. He is a leader.

What he can not do is dominate with a talented team. When we've had championship level talent, he wasted it with poor scheme/preparation, a failure to [properly] adjust, and bad game time decisions. He has been embarrassingly out-coached in the vast majority of his big games and he has lost to several garbage teams.

If you have a troubled roster and want to forge some sort of respectability, Mike Tomlin is your man. However, if you want to win #7, Mike Tomlin is completely incapable of doing that. Art, and people like Dan Snyder, are entirely focused on Mike being a good guy. Either that or, like many fans, Art is just oblivious to the latter point. The rest of us know the latter is true and, great guy or not, we want Tomlin replaced with a new head coach.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. SteelersFanCanada

Nov 14, 2019
    He also worked with Tyrod Taylor during his time in Buffalo. Which resulted in Tyrod’s best statistical seasons.

15. SteelersFanCanada

Nov 14, 2019
    I think the Rooney’s are waiting for Big Ben to retire before they even consider a major change such as a new head coach. Let the future-hall-of-farmer ride off into the sunset and then position yourselves for a new era.

Tomlin bought himself some time with the team’s performance this season but he’s obviously on the clock.

16. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    Yep and welcome to politics

17. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I got another one...he can do no wrong.

18. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Blast Furnance.

Yes, yes, yes, and yes. I am still infuriated as to last season's meltdown. I will repeat it again. If we win one more game last season, and there are a number to choose from, we win the division and off to the playoffs. Shoot, you can include in that the season opener which resulted in all things, a tie, with the Brown's. We went backwards record wise the second half of the season as we had a 2.5 game division lead at that point, sitting pretty. There was number of Trademark Tomlin games to choose from which included: his blowing of leads to typical playing down to inferior teams syndrome that he is famous for. Just Disgusting as I say.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  19. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Lambert.
    You my friend, and your post here, SHOULD BE VOTED FOR POSTER AND POST OF THE YEAR! :clapping: This was so beautifully written. So, so.... Magnificent. Every Tomlin-Loyalist should print this out and hang it up on their wall. For a member (me) who writes what I think to be some well-thought out posts, although lengthy at times, I am completely blown away by this post. No knock on anyone on this board but this is by far and wide, the best post I have ever read here. Thank you from the bottom of my heart Lambert. Magnifico! And you my friend, for this post, are El Magnifico! I could go on all night (smile). Again, just, just.... Magnificent (smile). Thank you, thank you, "grazie", "grazie" Take care my friend.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I know it fell apart after the 3/4 pole but I think Chucky did a great job out there in Oakland with a very young team.

Going into Vegas, they are in good position. He turned that around out there. Mayock landed a lot of solid young players this offseason.

21. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Disco1981.

This my friend, your quote: "He won because of a HOF QB for the majority of his career". MAN, YOU NAILED IT BROTHER.
    As you also stated: "So nothing is EVER Tomlins fault". Yes again, according to some of the Tomlin-Loyalists. When posters try to point out his faults, and we all have them as did Noll and Cowher, they are in complete denial. Some want to give him all the credit in the world for a win but no acceptance of responsibility for a loss. Unbelievable.

I know for me personally, I have given Tomlin due credit when applicable. However, some of these Tomlin-Loyalists are so just unbelievably myopic. Man some of them really cannot "See the forest for the trees". Thus, there goes the hopes of having a decent debate/conversation with some of them. Right out the window. I have tried but to no avail so far. I will keep trying though. Hey, we did send a man to the Moon as I say when one thinks a task is impossible (smile). Take care.

22. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    In honor of your cliff reference, you have 2 bonus responses:

[​IMG] or upload_2019-12-30_22-38-6.gif

23. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    I don't think that matters either tbh...It only matters to one guy, And that guys last name for the last 70 years, has started with an R

24. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Ride off into the sunset with a couple 8-8 seasons ( being optimistic ) and...Everyone thinks if they get a new Coach, at this juncture of his career, will take years to implement blah..

Coach in GB is doing ok, and Ben will still call the shots...Just like Rodgers does, Don't let it full ya

• Like Like x 1
  25. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I would say Doug Pederson did more with less this year, with all their injuries he started practice squad players to win his division, and before you say the nfc east is a weak division it was weak the year the giants won it at 9-7 and went on to win the SB......