1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Penguins 2019

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by fanforlife, Oct 17, 2019.

1. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    I am surprised how good they have started the season this year. With the changes and injuries they are playing well. Maybe the younger players added to the roster will provide the energy the team needs to be competitive. It should be an interesting year.

2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    You're right Fan, surprising me as well. I had a free preview of DTV Center Ice and watched a few games and then lost track with all the baseball still going. I was amazed when I saw they were 5-2 this morning and had just beat an unbeaten Colorado team in OT following 2 road trip W's. Depth and durability is a concern now with 2 Centers out indefinitely.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Happy yes but as last year proved the NHL doesn't really start until late March.

4. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Great game last night. They started out down 0-3 and won 4-3 in overtime against the hottest team in hockey.

5. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Crosby being out for 6 weeks will hurt. I expect other players to pickup their game.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I worry about external pressure put on the team and players to have guys play beyond their ability and that could end badly. Galchenyuck got his first goal last night but he has been buzzing around the net so far but since he was the return in the Kessel trade everyone in the hockey media is treating him like he should be the same as Phil and he isn't by a long shot. I am enjoying see Getz, Rust, McCann and Lafferty playing well and having fun that is what they need more of. also good to see the Jack johnson hate bus being put on the side of the road.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    With Crosby out and quite a few other injuries the Pens have been hanging in there. Won again last night.
    If the playoffs started today the Pens would be in. I don't know if they can make any noise in the playoffs, if they get in, but we will see. I still believe the Pens will bring the next championship to Pittsburgh long before the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Pens won a back to back series against Nashville over the weekend.
    They have been playing super well lately with some injured players back.
    Crosby will be back soon and then we can see if this team is ready to roll.
    They might make a serious run at another Stanley Cup this year.

• Like Like x 2
  9. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Good chance for the Pens to pickup another 2 points tonight.
    Which they did 5-2. They continue to play exceptional hockey.
    I think they are going to win it all this year and bring another
    championship to the city. At least they have a coach I respect.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  10. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Loss of top scorer Guentzel 4-6 months will sting. Even though Pens are playing strong right now, will the depth be challenged by all the injuries similar to the Steelers season? Next man up hopefully will produce positive surprises.

11. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Hope so. I bet 1.000.00 on them winning it all this year at 12-1. It's been a tough year in some other areas so I think I am due for some positive stuff to happen.

12. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I feel horrible for Guentzel well on his way to another 40 goal season, leading the team in goals and points with Crosby out, first time All star selection and totally derailed by a fluke accident. That sucks bad

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Great win tonight. Need every player to step up from here on out with Jake out for the season. Tonight was a great start for that.

14. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    It's going to be interesting seeing what moves Rutherford makes to try and bring in a legit player to fill Jake's role. PHN had them looking at Krieder or Saad both would be bandaid guys but at this point with the contracts they have they really can't afford to lock anyone up long term.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Pens are only a couple of points behind a couple of teams from having the best record in the entire league. This is without Sid and now Jake. Looks like the combination of rookies and veterans Sullivan put together is jelling. He had Murray in goal last night and he played great. If he can be a strong alternate goalie or even the top goalie, they will be that much stronger when the playoffs start. How thee next few games play out will be interesting.

16. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Pens need to rebound from a bad game Sunday. Hopefully Sullivan has them fired up and ready to play.

17. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Pens beat a good Vegas team 4-3 in Vegas last night. Different stat game than normal. Pens were out shot 2 to 1.
    Usually the Pens outshoot everyone they play against. The only thing that matters is that the Pens won again.
    Looks like Crosby might return very soon.

18. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Damn injuries really do suck. PENS have been amazing considering the injuries.

I still believe Hockey doesn't start until late March but have started following early this season.

19. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Another 2 points last night. I think Crosby might be back tomorrow night.

20. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    PENS looking good without Sid. I say save him for late March and the Playoff run.

21. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Top home ice record and now stacking up the wins on the road - #3 in the Power Rankings. So pleasantly surprised with the Pens this year. Thought it was going to be an "8-8" Steeler type season. :dancing:

22. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I hope Sully eases Sid back into the lineup. No need for him to play 20+ minutes a game right away. Let Geno and Rust still can play on the first line, let McCann and Sid gel with Kahun or Tanev. No rush.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    PENS amazing me this season. Really thought our party was over but as I've seen time and time again the NHL starts in late March.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    I think Crosby will play tonight at home. The Pens are playing the best hockey in the league and even the talking heads are starting to recognise the fact that this is another strong Stanley Cup run. They usually come around, they are just a little slow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Sidney Crosby's gonna play? Sidney Crosby's gonna play!

Guess who's back? Have you met Sid.

• Like Like x 1