1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Records of opponents this season.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Rowland, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Rowland

Rowland Active Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Without counting Cleveland and the bengals twice, the total record of all opponents we beat was: 32-62

Against opponents we lost to: 72-32.

We beat ONE team that finished over .500

This was not impressive coaching by Tomlin. We had a very favorable schedule but I will give him credit for getting Fitz with without which we probably finish 5-11 which is what I was expecting after starting 1-4. But this years schedules was an absolute cup cake compared to last years.

I see no indication we are going to even make the playoffs within the next 3 years. Our offense is completely depleted and defense alone can’t carry you in the league anymore.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Tough decisions coming. We don't even know if the GM will be along for the ride. We were hammered with injuries. We have some over priced players that are not playing well and are aged. The records are not what matter. Most teams that had sub 500 records were supposed to be better. Both LA teams played under their talent level. Cleveland played under their talent level. One strange year all around.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Considering the injuries and the money they had tied up in the salary cap to players that didn't contribute to the team they did what they could to win games. They were down to playing a FA rookie QB. Several of the games they loss they had opportunities to win. I don't understand what some people expect? This organization can't win with some fans.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    We were a bad team overachieving

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Don’t forget about the Colts missing a game winning FG.

Then there’s no Playoff hope yesterday.

6. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Yea I don’t think it was one of Tomlin’s better coaching jobs because they once again collapsed and didn’t make the playoffs after being 8-5 and having control of their own destiny. You gotta finish the job and Tomlin and this team did not do that. So this is now 2 years in a row with no playoffs. And when the Steelers made the trade for Minkah it made a loud statement suggesting we feel we can still make the playoffs this season with Rudolph as our QB. And when you did all that and you still don’t make the playoffs how can you feel this season was a success. This team still has some issues going forward and still better address a lot of the problems they have especially on offense.

With Ben back next season and their being no excuses if they miss the playoffs once again the Steelers seriously need to take a long hard look at Mike Tomlin and his future with this Steelers team. You can’t keep him around forever in my opinion. At some point a change in coaching must be considered if this team continues to miss the playoffs another year or so. Tomlin only has another year or so left on his contract and it’s time to really start considering looking elsewhere if things don’t improve here soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    It was time to look 3 years ago....

Rooneys have become complacent and like some fans are happy with 8-8 type seasons “the new standard”

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    I agree it should have happened after the Jags playoff debacle a few years ago. Obviously Rooney won’t do anything with Tomlin now after losing Ben this year and the team still finishing at 8-8.

But it seriously needs to be looked at once and for all if Ben is back and playing well next year a long with this Steelers defense being much improved. If they miss the playoffs again for a 3rd straight season and do it again much like the last two years falling apart in the final 3-4 weeks when they had control of their own destiny. Then a coaching change definitely needs to be strongly looked at once and for all. It’s definitely time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Fixed

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Comes down to coaching. We had opportunities, in almost every game, but our defense wasn't quite good enough to overcome a bad offense being coached poorly.

Our coaching staff isn't good enough when we have talent on the field. They definitely aren't good enough facing adversity.

8-8 isn't good enough. No excuses.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I have been one of the guys last season who was on the fire Tomlin train. I have brought up our long SB drought, our 3 wins in the playoffs since our last SB, our constant losses to lesser teams and our lack of success with players who are at the top of there position or near the top. Now with that said I have backed MT this season and I just can't see how letting him go after this year would help if we haven't done it in years past. The injuries to this team is probably only second to what the Eagles have faced this year and they played pretty much just like us. You can't lose your top 5 QB, starting RB and some back ups at different points of the year, #1 WR and 2 & 3 in some games, all pro C for some games, your best defensive player(at the time) in Tuitt and your 2nd and 3rd QB's. Add into that we traded away the best WR in the game and tried to help replace him with a guy who couldn't catch a cold and ended up getting cut. We lost a great WR coach(RIP) unexpectedly and replaced him with a joke of a guy in Sherman. We lost one of if not the best oline coach which hurt this oline for sure. So for people to say MT didn't do a good job I have to disagree. JMO

I mean with all this we gave the Rats maybe the hardest game of the season holding mr MVP to a 20 QBR and 3int's and taking them into OT........with Duck, wow. We lost to the Bills(#5 seed) seed, 49ers(#1 seed) and had beat, Seachickens(#5 seed), Pats(#3 seed) and of course the #1 seed in the Rats. That is some tough teams to say we didn't have good coaching to lose to with a bunch of back ups and walk ons and oh by the way we had half of them beat.

FITCHNER HAS TO GO, bottom line don't care if he is Ben's boy or not. We also need to get a QB coach and another young QB for him to help while Ben is still here. I am on the fence with Butler, his run D looked horrible yesterday and that scares me. If he is gone fine if he stays fine I can go either way. IMO MT gets a pass this year but next season he is on the hot seat no matter what. jmo

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    This was only due to the Davis injury and Kelly underachieving. Reality is Colbert pulled this off.

Sing it:

Yesterday
    All our playoff hopes flew away (Quack, quack)
    Now Popcorn doesn't know what to say
    But it just wasn't because of
    Yesterday

Coach of the Year lost the last 3 games. 2 were winnable. They just gave up...Yesterday

And now their is a mulligan for Tomlin and staff. Rooney will do nothing. Another incomplete season, NOT a winning one.

13. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    All of the wheels and spare tire will have to fall off before the genuis Rooney gets rid of Tomlin. Lets give the new coach nothing to build on , as in the offense.

If this keeps up it'll be the beginning of a toxic lockeroom of finger pointing and players taking sides.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    It's been housecleaning time for a while but Art II is a coward. We do not have a QB going forward, we've had too many 1st round failures, some guys are overpaid, the coordinators are incompetent, etc. Changes are required for this team to be relevant the next few seasons but there are no indications those changes are forthcoming. I hope everyone likes mediocrity.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Art is certainly nothing like his dad or grandad. He is our weakest link and the reason they hold on to this loser coach. Change is needed badly but the owner is gutless.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I hear what you're saying. And there is something to be said for taking a depleted team who shouldn't be .500 and holding them together. I'll give you that.

But good teams find a way, and that includes the HC. Look at San Fran. They found a way to beat us. They found a way to pull out a W this week. And their record didn't get that way without good coaching decisions and overcoming their own adversity.

My point is, and always will be, that with better coaching, we convert some of those close losses to wins. We had the players in place that could make enough plays to keep us close. We needed a coach who could instill a find-a-way culture in spite of our adversity. Tomlin can only get credit for mediocrity this season. If he had done more, he would have been worthy of praise. JMO

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    We did enough to win 8 games and we did enough to lose 8 games. No playoffs is disappointing. That’s how I see it....

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    No.

The Niners didn't "find a way to beat us" or find a way this week either. The whole good teams win close games myth is just that, a myth. In fact, they had a .500 record, 3-3, in games decided by 7 pts or less. They won cause they beat the tar out of their opponents. They had the third highest point differential in the league at +169.

Good teams don't win close games. They don't have close games.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  19. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    The Steelers were not a good team. They played good defense but the offense wasn't even close to being good.

The Steelers didn't have the QBs, RBs, or WRs neccesary to have a more productive offense. On top of it they were limited by the salaries of two players (AB and Brown).

The coaches understood the formula for the success of this team. Unfortunately the offense didn't live up to it's end of the bargin by taking care of the ball and by having the ability to score more points. The defense also couldn't hold the opposition to zero points.

Some people have so much hate for Tomlin at this point that even winning the Superbowl again won't change their opinion of him.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    So you expected them to beat those good teams with Mason/Duck at QB :facepalm:, and with no Ben, Tuitt, Nix. They had to rely on practice squad players at times at RB, WR, they got no production from Conner and JuJu the second half of the season.

21. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Yep, went from a perennial playoff team/ contender, to hanging their hat on never having a losing season. How the mighty have fallen.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Such is the life of a sports fan. People didn't appreciate making the playoffs before. Now maybe they will? Nah people won't appreciate anything short of a Superbowl win.

There could be a few rough years ahead for this organization. It eventually happens to the best organizations.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  23. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I respect your opinion however how are you a good team when you are down to your 4th string QB, 3rd-4th-5th RB's and WR's, lose your all pro center and DE?????? Sorry not a lot of coaching is gonna overcome all that. Again I am no Tomlin fan not at all and if he was to get fired it wouldn't hurt my feelings but I am being fair as to what our problem was and that is a pile of injuries. jmo

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Already #1 on Billboard 100! You may have a new day job CK. And on the flip side: I am the Walrus - coo coo ca-choo!

• Like Like x 1
  25. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Even with a different cast, how many times can you keep watching the same bad movie and expect it to end differently? I'm not a believer things would have been different with Ben at the helm.

• Agree Agree x 1