1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 NFL Big Board Top Five Position Rankings: Pre Bowl Edition

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by AskQuestionsLater, Nov 24, 2019.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Hello fellow brothers and sisters of TheSteelersFans! AskQuestionsLater here, back with the updated Top Five Players by Position Rankings! Initially speaking, I was going to have this portion inserted into the Big Board but due techincal difficulties from my end, I have now decided to split the two. As such, apologies to those who were expecting this in the Big Board section. From here on out, I will split these two subjects into their own titles as they are independent from one another. Now, before we begin, a disclaimer;

These written statements by the author do not reflect nor are shared opinions of members of TheSteelersFans Message Board, Staff Members and/or Site Administrator.

Top Five By Position:

Quarterbacks:

1.) Joe Burrow: Louisiana State University

2.) Justin Herbert: University of Oregon

3.) Tua Tagovailoa: University of Alabama

4.) Jake Fromm: University of Georgia

5.) Jalen Hurts: University of Oklahoma

Joe Burrow been incredible all season. Of course though, winning against Alabama will likely be his biggest achievement. However, let us not underscore his wins against Auburn and Florida as those will loom large for him down the season. That said, no player in this class has helped their stock more than Justin Herbert. If you had asked me a year ago on whom I would have taken between him and Kyler Murray, I would have taken Murray. Now look at Herbert; a much more confident and technical passer than he was a year ago. Unlike the first two though, Tua is more difficult for me to project. The intangibles are there for certain. My concern is his supporting cast and that is not including his durability; four surgeries in two years. Fromm has the best intangibles among his classmates. His blend of leadership, tenacity, decision making, infectious confidence and consistency will definitely garner some interest among NFL teams. Sadly, his overall athletic ability is arguably among the worst in this year's QB Crop. Everything is just..... good but not great in any area. Jalen Hurts has the athletic capabilities and arm talent one would want but the issue with him stems from his reads; quick ones at that. How often is he asked to make more than one?! For that matter, after seeing what both Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray, are these Oklahoma QBs really that good or is it just Lincoln Riley that is making them that good?!

Running Backs:

1.) D'Andre Swift: University of Georgia

2.) Jonathan Taylor: University of Wisconsin

3.) Travis Eitenne: University of Clemson

4.) Chuba Hubbard: Oklahoma State University

5.) J.K. Dobbins: Ohio State University

To say I am unimpressed with this class would be an understatement. Granted, I was not as excited about this class heading into this 2019 college season anyway. If there is one saving grave within this class, D'Andre Swift is it. Nevermind his agility, but his explosiveness and power for such a small guy is most impressive indeed. Beyond him though, disappointed for sure. I am fully aware Johnathan Taylor is the best pure runner in the class. Ball carrier vision, instincts and lateral quickness like his does not come around very often. I am also aware that Wisconsin Running Backs are usually maxed out production wise when they enter the league. Johnathan will likely continue this as his production will be a bit of a concern and this is before factoring in his lack of pass protection. Travis Eitenne is argubaly the fastest Running Back in the class and not just his speed but his agility and explosive capabilities are there as well. That said, he is more of a slasher than he is a between the tackles player. Chuba Hubbard has been rising just like his speed, quickness and agility have carried him this season. Add his ability to catch and Chuba does have the skills needed to be a number one. The issue is... well, just like Travis, he is more atune to the outside runs. In addition, he is a Sophomore so it is difficult to project how much production he can achieve. J.K. Dobbins has the speed, power, quickness and instincts one would want from a runner.... so what gives with him?! Simple, pass protection, as in DO NOT ask him too. It is not that he is incapable but he will get OBLITERATED each time. Ask him to do so at your own risk.

Wide Receivers:

1.) Jerry Jeudy: University of Alabama

2.) Henry Ruggs III: University of Alabama

3.) CeeDee Lamb: University of Oklahoma

4.) DeVonta Smith: University of Alabama

5.) Tyler Johnson: University of Minnesota

@Blast Furnace

@turtle

@bigbenhotness

Recall back as to how I said Tua as essentially a collection of sports cars. Now look at this list and guess why I said that!! Seriously though, I do not think that, even that legendary Clemson Receiving Corps from 2010-2013 compares to these guys. Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs III and DeVonta Smith all can thrive in literally ANY NFL Offense! That is how ABSURD their abilities are. For that matter, each of those three have not only perennial Pro Bowl potential but also obtain an All Pro nod; a few in both Ruggs III and Jeudy's case. Even beyond the "Three Tides fron the South", this class' potential is legendary. I will even go so far as to say this class has the potential to surpass even the legendary 2014 WR class. CeeDee Lamb has the route running, footwork, quickness and explosiveness to not just take the top off many NFL Defenses but also be a true number one receiving threat. Tyler Johnson might not have the elite level athleticism many of his WR classmates have but, outside of Jerry Jeudy, you will not find a WR with more Football IQ and Instincts than him. Add his rock solid receiving and he is a NFL Draft Steal waiting to happen.

Tight Ends:

1.) Brycen Hopkins: University of Purdue

2 ) Hunter Bryant: University of Washington

3.) Jared Pinkney: Vanderbilt University

4.) Colby Parkinson: Stanford University

5.) Albert Okwuegbunam: University of Missouri

Initially speaking, coming into this season, I thought Albert Okwuegbunam was going to be the runaway candidate to be a Top 20 selection in 2020. Then Brycen Hopkins happened; inconsistency for Albert soon thereafter. Now, all we are left with in this TE Class is a bunch of "Close but no Cigar" types. Brycen yields the best talent and floor but does not have the elite athletic traits you'd want. Hunter Bryant has those traits but has quite the injury history. Both Pinkney and Parkinson both have great traits in one area but are too raw in the other; Pinkney via his blocking and Parkinson via seperation in the middle of the field. Okwuegbunam has the highest potential but that potential is very boom or bust at this point. In short?! This TE Class has some talent but not enough consistency for me.

Offensive Tackles:

1.) Andrew Thomas: University of Georgia

2.) Tristian Wirfs: University of Iowa

3.) Jedrick Willis: Univeristy of Alabama

4.) Alex Leatherwood: University of Alabama

5.) Lucas Niang: Texas Christian University

Wow.... just wow. After so many classes not featuring top tier talent from the position, finally... and I mean FINALLY, the position shows up and shows out... BIG TIME. To start out, Andrew Thomas vs. Tristian Wirfs reminds me so fondly of the debates that raged between Laremy Tunsil vs Ronnie Stanely. Much like their predecessors from that 2016 class, these two have everything you'd want from a Franchise Left Tackle and more. Each though has their nuances that seperare them from each other; Thomas has the superior technics, footwork and instincts whereas Wirfs possess superior athleticism, length and potential. Both are easily top 10 picks in last years draft and arguably 2018s the same. As for the rest of this class, again, very talented and very deep. This is further accentuated by the 'Bama boys. Both Willis and Leatherwood have loads of uptapped potential with the talent to go with it. The key though is where they start in their careers. Alex has more power but less finesse so starting him on the right is best whereas Willis has the better agility but lacks some of that power so left would be his home. Each of them can grow into high quality offensive tackles but they are not day one starters like either Thomas or Wirfs. Lucas Niang has some serious potential but needs to be the swing tackle early in his career. Exposing him early will not be good for him.

Interior Offensive Lineman:

1.) Creed Humphrey: University of Oklahoma

2.) Tyler Biadasz: University of Wisconsin

3.) Solomon Kindley: University of Georgia

4.) Nick Harris: University of Washington

5.) Trey Smith: University of Tennessee

Welcome back centers!!! Glad to see your back after what I considered to be a year hiatus. Both Creed and Tyler are far more pro ready than either Garrett Bradbury and Erik McCoy were and each possess the traits superior than either; Biadasz via his processing, Football IQ and pre snap diagnosis over Bradbury and Humphrey via his athleticism, range and instincts over McCoy. Both are Pro Bowl level players Day One. Kindley and Smith are starting capable guards with Pro Bowl potential but not year one. Kindley has the superior potential but Smith possess more enticing potential, versatility and physical gifts. Nick Harris is unique in the fact that, while he does have NFL Level traits overall, his size really lets him down.

Interior Defensive Lineman:

1.) Derrick Brown: University of Auburn

2.) Javon Kinlaw: Univeristy of South Carolina

3.) Neville Gallimore: University of Oklahoma

4.) Marvin Wilson: Florida State University

5.) Raekwon Davis: University of Alabama

Much like the Interior Offensive Line Class of 2020, the Interior Defensive Line Class is loaded. However, the Defensive Lineman FAR SURPASS the Offensive Lineman. Not even close. Spearheading this is Derrick Brown; a player with All Pro potential right out of the gate. No matter where he goes, he has both game breaking and game changing ability. He needs to stay healthy though. Javon Kinlaw is not quite the game changer Brown is but he does have game wrecking potential. He might just be limited to a 3-4 end but make no mistake, moving him off the line is not going to happen. While Javon is limited by scheme, Marvin Wilson is argubaly the most versatile Defensive Lineman in the class. He is not the athlete like Brown is but he is just as versatile and can flash some serious pass rushing skills. He likely will see a Pro Bowl or two but I do not believe I see All Pro in his future. Now, Neville Gallimore is different as he has the highest ceiling of any Interior Defensive Lineman in the class. On pure athletic talent alone, he surpasses even Derrick Brown. His issue is the classic one of these freakish players; effort. Not only effort but also consistency. Among the players in the draft overall, one can make the argument of Gallimore having the biggest boom or bust capability in the draft. Yes, I do have him rated higher than Wilson but he possess more reward than Wilson does. Raekwon Davis was initially my number two rated IDL entering the 2019 college season. Like another SEC defender though, Davis has fallen far from grace. I still do believe he will be a productive pro who can disrupt running lanes but I do not believe he will be as good as some make him out to be.

EDGE Rushers:

1.) A.J. Epenesa: University of Iowa

2.) Chase Young: Ohio State University

3.) Yetur Gross-Matos: Penn State University

4.) Kenny Willekes: Michigan State University

5.) K'Lavon Chaisson: Louisiana State University

A.J. Epenesa vs Chase Young. Techincal machine vs. freak of nature. Raw power vs. brute force. Such terms and more will carry on come their draft day. For me, as of this time, A.J. Epenesa is still my go to number one overall player. Yes, yes, big congratulations are in order for Chase Young's career at Ohio State. That said, A.J., while not the athlete Chase Young is, provides me more motor per snap and the ability to stuff the run game. Beyond the elite overall talents in the draft overall, quite a bit of high end talent here. Much like Chase although not as much production, Yetur possess some seriously gifted atheltic traits of his own. Namely his run stopping capabilities have improved from last season. Add his own red hot motor and Yetur just might sneak into the Top 15 by season's end. Kenny Willkies might surprise some people but I am seeing shades of T.J. Watt in him as he is also versatile. Able to play in the dirt or standing up, Willekies has arguably the biggest toolbox of any EDGE Rusher in the class and also tied with A.J. Epenesa for having the hottest motor among EDGE Rushers. His downside though is he is not as athletic as the other pass rushers in this class and relies heavily on instincts and football IQ. That said though, those two aforementioned traits are traits that the physically gifted take for granted far too often. That said, my final choice was tough... and I mean TOUGH. K'Lavon or Julian Okwara from Notre Dame?! This decision came down to consistency and versatility. Of the two, K'Lavon gets the nod here. Both Okwara and Chaisson are gifted athletes but like Chase Young, K'Lavon is in an elite class of athlete in terms of his overall potential is limitless. The most important aspect between the two is how they cover in space; an area Chaisson thrives in. Add his pass rushing and run defending chops and K'Lavon received the final spot here.

Linebackers:

1.) ***Isaiah Simmons***: University of Clemson

2.) Dylan Moses: University of Alabama

3.) Kennith Murray: University of Oklahoma

4.) Monty Rice: University of Georgia

5.) Troy Dye: University of Oregon

This year's group of linebackers is much like last year's... with a catch. Remove Isaiah Simmons and this list is very different. There in lies the catch though; Isaiah LITERALLY broke my rankings. Based on pure athleticism, versatility, physical gifts and football talent, he is the most electrifying player in the draft. No one in this draft generates a spark for their side of the ball the way he does; a Sui Generis in that regard. Again though, even removing him from the equation brings us Dylan Moses; a player who was a Top Five player on my board. Sadly, an ACL Injury got him; ending his season. That said and thankfully, an ACL Injury is not the career killer it once was two decades ago. I understand this will be high praise but pre injury Dyaln Moses, in my opinion, is the best Linebacking prospect I have seen since Luke Kuechly. Like Luke coming out, I really do not see any major weakness in Moses' game. Outside of those two, the rest of the class has more questions than answers. Much like the 2018 Linebacking Class, this class has talent but it either specializes in one particular area or does not have enough athleticism to cover up their own Football IQ and/or Instincts. Kennith Murray to me is such a player who fits in the latter category of specialization. Sure, he can read his keys and has good football IQ but is more suited to what is happening in front of him as opposed to around him. Monty Rice much like Kennith has the athletic tools but he has not put it all together overall. Troy Dye would have be the most athletic linebacker had it not been for Isaiah Simmons but he way too much of an athlete and not enough of a linebacker.

Cornerback:

1.) Jeffery Okudah: Ohio State University

2.) Kristian Fulton: Louisiana State University

3.) Trevon Diggs: University of Alabama

4.) Bryce Hall: University of Virginia

5.) Shaun Wade: Ohio State University

Just like that, the Cornerback Class is back again in 2020! This time with a vengeance; one with grit at that! Kicking things off, Jeffery Okudah will become the corner every NFL Team he faces look the other way come Sunday's near you in 2020. Each game within each snap, not only does Jeffery Okudah put down his loan but also makes his opponents pay for it along with his own positive plays. He does not measure up to Jalen Ramsey as Ramsey was like anything I ever saw coming out but based on being a pure corner, Jeffery Okudah is arguably the besr corner to come out since Champ Bailey. However, Okudah is not alone in this revenge tour this years corner class. Kristian Fulton and Trevon Diggs are both true opposites of one another in terms of their shortcomings; Diggs has technical issues and Fulton lacks the long speed. Beyond that, little difference. Bryce Hall and Shaun Wade are also another interesting comparison as both players are versatile but share the same shortcomings as Diggs and Fulton do; Hall lacks the athleticism and Wade lacks the technical prowess. However, both are the most versatile corners among the top five I have on my board as both can play inside or outside.

Safety:

1.) *** Isaiah Simmons*** : University of Clemson

2.) Xaiver Mckinney: University of Alabama

3.) Grant Delpit: Louisiana State University

4.) Antonie Winfield Jr.: University of Minnesota

5.) Hamsah Nasirildeen: Florida State University

Much like the corners of this year's class, the safety class also makes a triumphant return this seaosn. Yes, yes, Darnell Savage Jr., Nasir Adderly, Johnathan Abram and Amani Hooker were good players but none of them compare to this year's crop. To start, I am not going to talk about Isaiah anymore as I have already written enough about him. Just turn on some tape and see for yourself! Beyond him, this class features two high quality Single High Centerfielders in Xaiver Mckinney and Antonie Winfield Jr. Xaiver may have more athleticism than Antonie but Antonie possess superior ball hawking capabilities thanks to his range, instincts and football IQ. Both are versatile but Xaiver again wins out due to his superior physical attributes and athleticism. Now, Grant Delpit has the most versatility of any Defensive Back in this class as he can play Free Safety, Strong Safety, Inside/Outside Corner and the DIME. The issue has been consistency. However, unlike most top tier prospects I have studied, Grant's case is unusual in the vein that he is WILDLY consistently inconsistent. I really do not know which Delpit I am getting week after week the same. This is a shame because Grant Delpit has the potential to be the best overall defensive back from this class as his rare traits of Football IQ, Instincts and versatility are difficult to come by. That said, while Delpit has some seriously appeasing traits as a defensive back, Hamsah Nasirildeen possess the greatest athletic talent and potential of any defensive back and arguably any defensive player overall; rivialing even that of Chase Young, Derrick Brown, K'Lavon Chaisson and even Isaiah Simmons. However, much like Grant though, Hamsah has consistency issues. Not so much overall like Delpit but from how exactly he can access all that potential; limitless at that. I would suggest putting him close to the line and letting him develop from there.

Alright guys! That will do it for me for the time being! Before I go, let me remind everyone that this is just for the time being as all prospects here currently are subject to change. Keep this in mind as Bowl Week is coming soon!

Once again everyone, thanks for reading this update! Sorry it took so long! Had quite a bit of College Football on my plate today and this took longer as a result. Hopefully by Bowl Week this will get resolved!

Again and as always, thank you everyone and I hope you enjoyed! Until the next Top 5, this is AQL saying so long and take care!! :)

Go Steelers! :herewego:

2. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Nice breakdown!:thumbs up:

You listed 55 players, and we'll probably have the #56 pick. Kind of takes the excitement out of the draft this year.

3. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:lolol:

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Why include Hubbard on the list, when he's not eligible for the 2020 draft?

5. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

He is a redshirt Sophomore. This makss him eligible. Byron Murphy was also one if I recall.

6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:lolol:

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    ESPN had him as just a sophomore, another had him as a RSSO, I see he's draft eligible.

8. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Great early work AQL.

My notes are still very scattered at this point. Be interesting which stars participate in their bowl games and which do not.

I need to make big adjustments. Moreso to my top 32 than actual position rankings. This QB class isn't as elite as I first thought it would be. Fromm put up another lackluster season, Herbert hasn't established himself anything more than a system QB. Hurts likely falls in that category as well. Does Tua come out or go back? Is Burrows legit? So many questions left unanswered.

The one thing I am sure if is that Chase Young will be at the top of my list. I have really enjoyed watching him this year. It might be my Badger homerism but I will likely have Taylor as my #1 RB. CeeDee Lamb may very well be my too WR. Very electric and ahead of Hollywood last year.

Can't wait to really get into this process in January!

9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Ugh... tell me about this QB Class man. Thought it was good. Now looking at it, not so much.

MASSIVE update coming!!

10. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Good write up. Thanks for the hard work on that...

I was having fun looking at your rookie predictions. Diontae has already surpassed your marks on receptions and yards (42 and 483 respectively), but your YPC is pretty dang good (hes at 11.5 not 11.6). He has tied the touchdown mark at 5 (4 receiving, 1 return). For Bush, it looks like he's going to come up short of your predictions in a few areas. He has a chance at the total tackle numbers with a good close to the season, but will likely fall short of the solo tackle mark. He is only 1 TFL behind your prediction (so he should be able to match or surpass that), but is 6 sacks behind (only 1 sack on the year). He is also looking like he will fall just short of your PBU prediction. However, the most important stats, the turnovers, he is exceeding your prediction. You had him responsible for 4 turnovers, but he currently sits at 7 with one of them being a touchdown. Overall you did pretty good haha impressive.

11. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Been really starting to look at the RB class. Man, it is loaded. My man, as of right now, is Cam Akers. I like Etienne a little more but I'm looking for a possible 3rd rd guy.

Etienne"s burst is ridiculous. I watched a video of him the other day. I thought I got a bad stream, like the video dropped a few frames. Because, seemingly, from one frame to the next he appeared 5 yards down field. Then I watched it again and realized, no he's just that fast. My eyes just didn't believe it. lol

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Hey all!!

Final Update for the 2019 Calender Year is here!!

Final Update

13. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I would be surprised if the Steelers drafted another RB. That would be 4 years in a row. Conner - '17, Samuels - '18 and Snell '19. Nothing is impossible but i put RB down low on the priority list.

14. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    So if my math works, I think our first pick in the draft is likely to be around pick #49.

My early gut feeling tells me the best BPA and best value will be RB.

If any of the following are available,

Jonathan Taylor, Wisconsin
    DeAndre Swift, Georgia
    JK Dobbins, Ohio St
    Travis Etienne, Clemson
    Chubba Hubbard, Oklahoma St

I think you have to take 1. I really like Conner but he can't stay healthy. May not have a body that can hold up. Can't be depended on for a heavy workload but can be a great backup.

Snell is a plodder who did have some success behind our Online but inevitably isn't a true #1 back.

Not sure what role Jaylen Samuels will have in 2020 but not a true RB anyway.

Whyte was interesting but nothing that screams out. No guarantee he is in the roster.

IMO, Taylor, Dobbins and Hubbard are true workhorse RBs. They can carry the load. Swift and Etienne are also very good and profile more of the Kamara/McCaffrey type, although I'm not projecting that type of success.

I think our biggest needs are TE and SS. This is a terrible TE class. I don't see anyone helping us. We need to pick up a veteran somehow someway.

Haven't looked at many of the SSs so far in this class but will be a position of interest.

If we don't go RB in round 2, I think another logical position is essentially anywhere along the Line. LT. LG or C could be in play. I'd love to.get my hands on Biadasz from Wisconsin. Could play Guard and then kick inside to C when Pouncey retires, but I think he will be long gone.

15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Given how horrible Terrell Edmunds played not just today but all season, it would not shock me if they nabbed a Strong Safety no later than Round 4. The question now becomes which of the two Round Four picks will it be?! Hopefully the Dolphins pick but it would not shock me if the Steelers opt to gun for their own.

If Running Back is the highest priority, refer to the post made by @SteelCity_NB above.

16. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Who are the top 5 punters? We may need one... LOL!

Do you think Jonathan Taylor will be available when we pick? I like his game, the dude is a stud.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Johnathan Taylor is likley a late First Round pick at this point. No way he slides to our pick as he is an early Day 2 pick. Best case scenario would be Chuba Hubbard.

18. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    I think we may have found a new OG prospect, a mauler who plays through the whistle:

• Like Like x 1
  19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I disagree about the RB take, I just don't see them picking one this year. I do agree with your last couple lines about Biadasz and O-line in general.

I think they target a blocking TE to help the run game. They will keep one or both of McDonald or Vannett imo.

Jesse James didn't do squat in Detroit. If they cut him, do the Steelers come calling??

20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Chuba Hubbard is going back to school

• Informative Informative x 1
  21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I know.

That just came up on my phone... ugh...

22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Patrick queen LSU ilb

Zack baun wisc. olb

give me these two linebackers in the draft. Queen is undecided, but he took over the national championship game.

Baun can play. Team him up with tj and have an all badger edge.

still would like Cole McDonald later in the draft at qb.:cool:

23. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    This is pretty funny that you post it because I am reading a lot about Baun moving up the draft board, I guess he is getting on peoples radar. One name I loved last year and he went back so he is on my fav list is Evan Weaver. This kid is a tackling machine but I am not sure we draft an ILB. McDonald is the kid from Hawaii right, I watched some of his bowl game and they couldn't stop raving about him.

24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Patrick Queen huh?! Not saying I am against him but he does not have a whole lot of experience starting. I take it Ulysees Gilbert III is not good enough?!

Agree on Zach Baun though.

25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    how would we know? UG3 never got on the field. We have to play vince. Queen, bush, barron, UG3, spillane. That's my 5 ilb crew.

as you said queen didn't start that much until they started to play him and found out he was that good. He also started as a safety at LSU early on. :cool: