1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

NFL All Time Team (Without 2 first pages of garbage)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfire, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Steelersfire

Steelersfire Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Hey,

I think talking about the NFL All time team is really interesting, especially Pittsburgh's role.

I was going to make a big post in the other thread but it's been absolutely derailed by those personal attacks and it seems inevitable that any posts on the main subject are going to just get covered up. If mods feel differently then I guess lock this tread.

But getting back on point:

1. Can someone explain how in the world Joe Greene isn't a unanimous selection to the team? Obviously I'm a steelers homer so I'm biased, but as far as I see I can't imagine someone setting up a team and leaving him off the D-line? Can someone here, even if you don't agree with it, make a logical case for that?
    Just seems stupid.

2. Woodson is a lock to get in, 100%. Blount is 99% to get in. Troy is 70% to get in b/c even in just these few years people forgot how good he was in his prime. Especially b/c they are comparing to Ed Reed's career stats, interceptions, etc. I mean, Brian Dawkins was a great player, but anyone who actually really paid attention to them both knows a prime Troy is in a totally different league. Yet all these years later some people really dare to say they'd take Dawkins...

P.S. I thought the Ham story was awesome.

2. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
  3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Its fun to debate, but I can't see how it is possible to come to a real consensus on an all time team.

The game is so different from back in the day until now, it would be better to do a team for every decade.

I mean I'm not old enough to even really have seen Mean Joe play? How would I know to compare?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Steelersfire

Jan 17, 2019
    I didn't say that there should be a consensus on all 100 players, but I'm confused why you find it so hard to choose some of the best players of all time.

Jerry Rice - that's a lay up. Brady - layup. Pretty easy.

Once again, for anyone who saw Joe Green play, what is the alternative lineup you'd want on the D line that wouldn't include him? Just bizarre to me.

5. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Are you talking about the series now showing on the NFL Channel? Did you watch till the end of this last week's show? They brought Mean Joe in to fill the last D lineman spot but only so he could be there as they also announced the two Jacks (Lambert and Ham) to the final 2 linebacker spots and then the coup de gras, announced Coach Noll as the 3rd HC on the all-time list. If we're not talking about the same list of All-Time Top 100 NFL Players, I'm not sure what you're referring to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steelersfire

Jan 17, 2019
    http://nfl.nbanewsnow.com/jones-but...all-team-picks-national-football-league-news/

7. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    How about a Steelers all time team with 53 players and 10 practice squad players?

• Like Like x 1
  8. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Only if Glemm is on that taxi squad! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
  10. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Well I'm old and go back to the 60's so John Henry Johnson better make it. He was my first Pittsburgh Steeler hero. First season I went to a game was 1962. Didn't understand a lot but remember hearing his name all day and to this impressionable youngster I fell in love with him. Didn't realize what a great season he had that year until the internet came along.

11. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I got deja vu reading your post SM. I had exactly the same experience and loved JHJ back then. Also liked Myron Pottios (MLB) as I recall and Buddy Dial WR. It was a shame Big Daddy's life and career were cut short, he was a monster at DT. :thumbs up:

12. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Dial I remember, he was the cannon guy to me.:) I remember my family talking about some incident with a cannon and as a young boy me and my friends who all were just discovering the Steelers (Pirates were the kings in the Burgh at the time) had fun with it. Pottios doesn't ring a bell.

13. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Lamar Jackson would have run circles around our Steel Curtain defense...until that first tackle...:hehehe:

14. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Well we wouldn't carry more than 2 QBs. Who would start at RB? Franco or The Bus? How old would you need to be to vote Franco?

15. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I would start John Henry Johnson.

16. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I tell everyone Edelman’s career would have ended real quick if he had played 20 years ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Steelersfire

Jan 17, 2019
    Congrats on your opinion but.....
    1. If you actually read my post then you'd see I said UNANIMOUS pick. I know he was picked for the team.
    2. If you actually clicked on my link then you'd see it quoting the AP saying there were 6 UNANIMOUS picks for the team. He wasn't one. Google also is a nice tool for you to access information online since my link was too beneath you to click. It's been around since dial up was around!
    3. All this is discussing the show you actually watched.

But I'm getting the feeling you agree he should be a unanimous pick. So you got that going for you!

18. Steelersfire

Jan 17, 2019
    Honestly that secondary is the most amazing thing ever.

Woodson, blount, Troy in his prime, and shell??
    And lebeau coaching?

I honestly think that secondary matches well with any all NFL offense you could throw out there.

play against Brady rice, moss, and gronk and it would be a legit battle. That's how good this secondary is.

19. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    OK. I stand corrected. Miscommunication. We were talking about two completely different things. There is another list developing right now and is being featured as a weekly series on the NFL Channel. Since neither you, nor Glory Days used a link in your original posts, I just assumed we were all talking about the NFL Channel's list. I'm actually not sure who the jury is for either of these lists but Joe Green resides in both. Carry on Sir. :thumbs up:

20. Steelersfire

Jan 17, 2019
    It's the same list!

There are 26 people who picked the 100 man team. Only 6 unanimous picks, which didn't include Greene. I couldn't believe someone who make a D line and find enough players to leave him off.

Be well.

21. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Whew! Now we're getting somewhere. You've been reading up on the behind the scenes which they don't seem to be mentioning the gory details on the TV show, at least during the first hour each week. I didn't record the second hour analysis portion. We're all good here. I agree that he should have been a unanimous consensus pick but then again, that is even rare I think for HOF voting (in any sport).