1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

More proof the new-look secondary has been elite

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Dec 4, 2019.

1. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    These numbers speak to the overall dominance of the defense as a whole, but look at the bottom where it says "QB rating of each DB when targeted." Also, of note, because people seem to be down on him, Haden has been absurdly good this year. Just because he isn't making the splash plays doesn't change that he's been amazing.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/12/steelers-2019-defensive-charting-first-12-games/

• Like Like x 1
  2. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Haden has been awesome this year. He may not get the attention Minkah or Watt are getting, but he's had some really clutch plays this year, the last of which was the INT Sunday.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    ill see how we do vs buffalo and vs ravens round 2. i dont expect to win but i want to see the defense play well

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Ugh....

Edmunds has got to get that figure down. Way too high a number for him. Hopefully he can start to lower that figure this week.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    And somehow he didn't get any votes for worst 1st rounder.

6. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey unclueblue.

Edmunds is B & G so I give him support. With that said, he is not carrying his weight on the new and improved "D". He is not worthy at this point of a 1st Round Draft selection. The new and improved "D" NEEDS all personnel firing up to their potentials. The "D" is going to have to play even better than it has for us to remain "Significant" as I say. I know that things cannot be perfect but better, yes! Edmunds needs to start finding his way as of yesterday as the regular season is winding down.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    When you have a FS that can actually play this improves
    all other positions, this is exactly what has taken place.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Our FS prayers have been answered. No more interchangeable Safeties BS we were fed for years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Isn't it funny how 3 of the secondary starters were free agents or traded for. Grateful Haden was extended and Nelson was signed. Fitzpatrick was the icing. Edmonds is coming around and is showing improvement.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    That’s why I’ve been going crazy on the draft message board every year since Mike Mitchell was signed for the Steelers to take a true FS in the first couple rounds. I couldn’t be happier wirth Minkah.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Sutton....my man. And here I was hoping he'd go to FS for the 2018 season. The DBs have been playing great ball, its great to see. It's been awhile..

12. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I'm hoping Ravens clinched whatever playoff spot they will get and we don't see their starters.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Just a tad short-sighted IMHO. If Steelers prevail and move on wouldn't they most likely see them again in a few short weeks? Didn't check for sure, but from memory, the Steelers seem to have a pretty good track record when facing the Rats 3 times in a season where they either split or won twice? And..... Steelers played them tight earlier this season with Lamar at the helm. If Rats want to sandbag in the last game, that's their prerogative, but I say, let's have the real deal, why kid ourselves?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I believe our 5th Super Bowl run we had to beat the Ravens 3 times and we did it but the Ravens are playing way to strong for us to go into Baltimore and beat them if they have to win the game for home field advantage.

15. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I want the ratbirds at full strength. I want the best that the nfl can throw at us. Why else play the game?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    No argument there SM. Steelers will have to face the music eventually if they make it to playoffs, either Rats, KC or Pats, all on the road the way things stack up now.

17. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Now we're talking. With this attitude, we could take San Juan Hill by sundown! :club::duel:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    That's the key for building a foundation. I have no delusions how far this team can or will go, getting into the post season is a plus simply because at 1-4 we thought a 5 win season was a possibility. To face a Baltimore team who are trying to stay healthy, and playing half heartedly is not how I want this season to end. if we play tough and lose, even if it knocks us out of the playoffs, it can be that bitter memory that stays with this team all winter. Simply because it is Pitt/Balt I would imagine the rivalry will bring out the beast in both teams, even those who are subbing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    It would be a tough pill for Harbaugh to swallow, resting his starters against us. It would be the smart play, but still...wimping out of the rivalry when we had them on the ropes already this year can't sit well with him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Call me crazy, But I want the Cheats...Knock Marsha around all game and really give him something to ***** about

21. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    The most accurate stats would exclude the early part of the season. We are now looking nothing like we did pre-Minkah.

The best way to measure would probably be looking only at the last 5 games or so and maybe higher weighting to the last 3 of those to have a true reading on where a defense, or an offense for that matter, is rated at as of now. I think there is somebody that rates teams like that, but don`t know who they are.

22. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    The Burns and Edmunds stats don’t surprise me at all. I’d throw at those guys too. My grandma with her opposite arm would throw at those guys.

Actually I’m surprised it’s not 158.3 against Burns.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  23. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    But those were also the best 4 teams the Steelers faced. So since Minkah was acquired, the opponents have been weaker, and that could be making the defense seem better than they are.

I don't.
    I want the Ratbirds to be worn out by the playoffs, because they spent too much energy getting a good regular season record. (Kind of like the 15-1 Steelers in Ben's rookie year.)

Do you think the Patriots have the same attitude as you?
    They won't care if the opposing team is at full strength, or if they have to cheat to get an edge, as long as they get the win.

24. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    1 game at a time... Next stop Zona! Win and let the chips fall where they may! HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Unfortunately same thoughts here. I have to admit from those in the past Edmund's was not 1st round talent.

We should have picked up Lamar Jackson