1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is your guy this year?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Roonatic, Dec 2, 2019.

1. A) #90 Watt

45.6%
  2. B) #39 Minkah

42.1%
  3. C) #6 Bubby, oops meant Duck

1.8%
  4. D) #53 Pouncey (got game ball vs. Clowns)

1.8%
  5. E) #48 pay me Dupree

3.5%
  6. F) #13 Washington

1.8%
  7. G) other (tell me who you like)

3.5%
  1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    And Watt is the guy that takes the pass rush from decent to elite.

The answer is that without Watt or without Fitzpatrick, the team would not be 7-5. They need both.

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Neither were in the question.

Again, does this team sit at 7-5 with Sean Davis starting at FS?!

3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    2-10 with Burns still starting.

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    For me it’s Watt, though Minkah gets strong honorable mention. Watt makes every pass rusher better, and the improved pass rush makes everyone’s life on the back end easier (including Minkah’s). Watt also affect the opponents’ run games more than Minkah.

Not detracting from what Minkah has done. He’s an ascending talent at FS who is already All Pro worthy, and has transformed our deep coverage. However for me Watt is more than just an All Pro. He’s the DPOY in the NFL so far.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    This is like the dating the ugly Victoria Secret model, at the end of the day it's still a Victoria Secret model.

It's peanut butter and jelly boys each one is fine on its own but when brought together with a little heat it's magic.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Roonatic.

I got a "Write-In Candidate" it is....TerribleTowelFlying. Thanks to him he helps to keep the good times rolling.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

• Like Like x 1
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Butt kisser :smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    What's his #? What # did The Chief wear?

9. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I voted for Fitzpatrick but I certainly understand the votes for Watt. If there was a choice for co team MVP's, I would have voted for that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    TJ Watt hands down for me...Dude is a stud and will probably be a Steeler for a long time. He creates so much disruption and his mindset is to continue to get better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I reject the premise of your question. It is a false premise designed to bolster your argument rather than measure the reality of this team and those two players.

The appropriate question is if the team would be 7-5 without Fitpzatrick or without Watt. The answer is now, they would be significantly worse without either guy.

12. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Well he will have to average 2 a game the last 4.

Then he will get there.

• Like Like x 1
  13. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Its December, Vince Williams time of the year.

TJ&MF, touch choice.

• Like Like x 1
  14. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I voted Watt. He has a motor like no other on this defense. All Pro and should be in the running for DPOY.

• Like Like x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Incorrect.

As I said, Minkah was not on the team in 2018. T.J. Watt has been tearing it up since 2018. What is important for an NFL Defense to be considered among the elite?! Four aspects;

1.) Third Down Efficiency

2.) Red Zone Efficiency

3.) Points allowed

4.) Turnovers

All of 2018, Pittsburgh was 10th in third down efficiency, 16th in RZ efficiency and 16th in points allowed. However, they were ranked 28th in turnovers.

Fast forward to now, thus far, and Pittsburgh ranks 10th in thrid down efficiency, 11th in RZ efficiency and 7th in points allowed. Again though and, here is the biggest point of emphasis; Pittsburgh is number one in turnovers thus far; doubling their totals from a season ago. Mind you this is with T.J. Watt.

While T.J. Watt can generate turnovers all by himself, he is not the only one along the front seven that has done so all season. Cameron Heyward and Bud Dupree have the same. In terms of INTs though?! Beyond Minkah, no one else has registered more than three. Only Devin Bush and Joe Haden have two. That however is not the entirety of this.

The main point here is that turnovers should be generated off of pressure. Pittsburgh led the league in sacks in 2018 yet failed to generate any turnovers. This season?! Pittsburgh is top five in sacks and number one in turnovers.

Minkah has been the catalyst as to why this team is generating so many turnovers. What good is pressure if you don't capitalize on mistakes by the offense?! Have to do so to increase your chances of winning. However, you need "the guy" to do so for that to happen.

Minkah is the guy.

16. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    #22 Nelson has shut down his side of the field. A space that was giving up many points.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016

Now you are digging back into last season to talk about who is better this season.

Regarding your primary argument in favor of Fitzpatrick, I will direct you to the phrase Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc, It is Latin for "after this, therefore because of this." It is a type of logical fallacy used in rhetoric, because most often what happens after something isn't because of that thing. It usually isn't. Full disclosure, I don't speak any Latin. I got that from an episode of The West Wing.

The 2018 defense did not have a viable second cornerback like Nelson. They had Edmunds learning on the job at one safety and Davis underachieving at the other. They were also significantly weaker at inside linebacker and Dupree wasn't playing at the level he is now.

There are many factors that changed from 2018 to this season, so putting it all on Fitzpatrick is a dubious claim at best.

The same is true of your argument that it doesn't matter which quarterbacks they faced in the first two games of the season. When those quarterbacks were arguably the two best the Steelers have faced this season, it absolutely matters. It just works against your argument, so you keep trying to dismiss it.

It's a hell of a lot easier to defend Jared Goff and Ryan Finley than it is to stop Russell Wilson and Tom Brady.

18. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey jeh1856:applaud:

Where do I claim my prize (smile)?

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Not 100% true. Put Minkah in there weeks one and two and those games are much closer. Heck, week two against Russel Wilson is a coin flip. Pittsburgh nearly won that game without him.

Minkah has revolutionized this defense. Go ask Mark Kaboly as he had a great article about it within The Athletic. T.J. Watt is the next evolution within the great history of Steelers pass rushers but is not a revolution to the position.

That said, Minkah is unlike anything any of us have ever seen from the position. Thanks to him, the entire defense benefits. Regarding the stats from last season to this one?! They do matter as T.J. Watt was there from 2018 to now to generate pressure to PROVIDE those turnovers. Furthermore, those stats illustrate that, even with T.J. in 2018, there were little to no turnovers DESPITE his consistent pressure. Pre Minkah, this defense could not generate turnovers DESPITE the immense pressure it generated.

Post Minkah?! Turnovers are happening at a rate in which has not been seen since 2010. Minkah's capabilities are the direct result of that; other players within the scheme benefiting from his abilities the same. Why else would the Organization part ways with a First Round Pick if they did not feel he could have this type of impact.

As I said, Minkah is a true prodigy who has revolutionized the Steelers Defense forever. A Single High, Deep Centerfielder of a Free Safety with the ball skills, instincts and football IQ was the final piece. Minkah is not only an FS but so much more thanks in part to his versatility.

Minkah is not just the final piece of this defense. He is the ULTIMATE piece to this defense. T.J. Watt will likely win DPOY but he is the "Supercharger" of this "V-10 Engine". Minkah is the engine; a naturally aspirated one at that as such engines are seldom seen anymore.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  20. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I would agree, but hell we are winning games, very close game, but winning. I personally did not care if the made the PO's or not as long as they fought hard and did not tank, continuing to build. Now I am thinking the opposite. I have no delusions about a deep playoff run, but these guys are learning to win in very tight games, building a communication and trust. Bush will continue to grow, he is that smart and good, handling his learning curve this way may actually instill depth in leadership that will prove beneficial in the years ahead.

• Like Like x 1
  21. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Roonatic.

Here is the long answer.

It could just be as simple as #1 as I believe TTF is an Information Technology (IT) guy, and man, this is one of the BEST run websites I have ever seen. This coming from a Physical Education/Computer Technology Teacher. The best of both worlds, Sports and Academia. This Website is: Top Notch, A#1, Cracker Jack, Cream of the Crop, well everyone gets the idea.

OR #8. Here is why.

We may need a QB again at some point. Hopefully not, and Hodges is the answer. Also, I think TTF played football at some level. Now, Mason is #2, Paxton #5, Hodges #6, Big Ben #7, so along the lines of QB Numbers and the “Next Man Up” concept #8 would be somewhat logical from that sequential perspective. Since the QB is often viewed as the primary cog that makes the team go, like TTF for this Website, yes, I believe #8 will suit him just fine.

Along with those reasons Willie Stargell wore #8 (A True Champion) so TTF would be in great company there. And if we win the Super Bowl it can kind of be a tribute to Tommy Maddox who wore that number for what it is worth to anyone. I did like Tommy-Gun during his short stint with us. He did kind of leave a little bitter but I will let bygones be bygones there.

Maybe we should start a separate poll for #1 or #8. Just Kidding. I will stick with #1. He deserves it.

22. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    How wonderful it is to be able to argue about having two exceptional players like Watt and Fitz. This is truly one of the best arguments I have seen on here in ages! I voted Fitz, but only because I already knew what Watt is. If I was choosing a jersey, I'd have to get them both.

• Like Like x 3
  23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    #39 He has made the difference on the back end.
    Teams have to prepare for him. He makes everybody better back there.
    The whole defense is playing much better football all together. I have liked
    our entire squad since day 1. Now with the injuries and suspensions it has hurt,
    but we will be better for it with getting guys opportunities to show what they got.
    GO STEELERS.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  24. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Love both TJ and Mincah however I voted TJ.....you can't go wrong with either.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It’s 19-18 in favor of Watt right now. I think that sums it up pretty well. They’re both fantastic players, and they’re both on the rise. That’s a really nice situation to be in.

• Agree Agree x 4