1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is your guy this year?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Roonatic, Dec 2, 2019.

1. A) #90 Watt

45.6%
  2. B) #39 Minkah

42.1%
  3. C) #6 Bubby, oops meant Duck

1.8%
  4. D) #53 Pouncey (got game ball vs. Clowns)

1.8%
  5. E) #48 pay me Dupree

3.5%
  6. F) #13 Washington

1.8%
  7. G) other (tell me who you like)

3.5%
  1. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I've been strutting around in my #19 JuJu jersey today, all cocky & proud taking in all the oohhs and aawws. I realized I could be much more awesome in a player that played yesterday jersey such as #90 Watt.
    Due to negligence, JuJu's jersey is the only one I own at the moment. Drafting my letter to Santa this week & all I want is another Steeler jersey.
    Having trouble if I want #90 Watt or #39 Minkah. I will get whomever wins this poll jersey, even pay me Dupree. So cast your vote on who your guy is this year.

2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    The entire Steeler D. Playing well as a unit. Rotating heroes from week to week. upload_2019-12-2_12-38-4.jpeg :lolol:

• Like Like x 2
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Minkah for me. No disrespect to T.J. but Minkah is something else. A possible DPOY candidate.

Since his arrival, only Philip Rivers has gotten over 300 yards passing on this defense. Beyond him, no one else. For a better reference, neither Lamar Jackson or Baker Mayfield managed to crack 200 yards through the air. Minkah has not only been a major part in Pittsburgh's improved pass defense but also has been a major component in the turnover department.

Again, most people say T.J. and they are not wrong as he is likely to be within the DPOY discussion. However, think back to weeks one and two. We had T.J. against both New England and Seattle. Our abilities to defend the pass were no better prior to Minkah's arrival. Not saying the pass rush does not help but without a high quality cover man as illustrated last season, having an elite pass rush does not always guarantee turnovers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I was leaning toward Minkah myself & voted for him. What a difference he has made. Nelson too.

5. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Minkah. I was just telling someone yesterday that he may be my favorite Steeler right now.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Bush needs some more splash plays, I forgot him.

7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

For him to obtain more, tell Keith Butler stop spoon feeding him snap counts. He has shown he is capable of making plays with a high level of them. Yes, he made some mistakes in coverage but that is part of the maturation process.

Let Devin Bush learn from his mistakes. Keeping him logtied with an unusual snap count is not assisting his development. The more Devin Bush is limited, the more his maturation is stymied.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I voted Watt but Minkah is right there for me as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    You need an AB jersey, either Antonio Brown or Artie Burns. I would have sold you either my home or bumblebee #84 if I hadn't sacrificed the home one to the garbage fairy and the bumblebee one to my daughter who waits tables at Twin Peaks in Knoxville. She needed a jersey (any jersey) to cut up for some special theme they were doing. I wasn't giving up any other jersey, and couldn't think of a better way to send off my last piece of #84 garb.

(I actually think #39 should be your choice. I would say #6, but I'm waiting to see how he holds up down the stretch. If he makes the team next season, I'm definitely getting one. But I might jump the gun if he balls out the remainder of the season)

• Like Like x 1
  10. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I voted for Minkah. Completely changed the defense when he came on board. We havent had a playmaker like him on this defense since Troy was in his prime.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    minkah changed the defense from good to elite

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    It almost pains me to say this especially how bad he has been but Bud is becoming a QB nightmare this season. Thought his production would drop off greatly once Tuitt got injured but surprisingly he is still having a monster season. I gave up hating on him and hope he continues with all the success.

Kudo's to the rest of the defense and Butler as well. Never thought I would say those words after watching the past few painful seasons with the defense.

• Like Like x 2
  13. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I think OP is asking which jersey he should get next. Weird way going about it but I think that's what's going on.

• Like Like x 1
  14. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Obviously.

He should just be safe and get a Lambert or Webster jersey.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Luv all my Steelers even Popcorn. Help me out SDOT, I know you are against this provocative attempt to donate to the evil NFL but whose should I get?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I think your safest bet is Watt. If you want a little less safe and different so you don't look like every other yinzer then Minkah or Bush.

• Like Like x 1
  17. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    #39, #90 then #6

• Like Like x 1
  18. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I've had a few Lambert jerseys, a Polumalu, Bradshaw, want an Ike one bad though.
    Going to get a current Steeler so I can impress the me/now millennials.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  19. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

If you want to impress a millennial you should start by spelling it correctly. Us Boomers take pride in our no common core education.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  20. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    TJ Watt, his motor has been unreal week end and week out.

12.5 sacks through 12 games. 5 forced fumbles.

He almost jumped a screen pass yesterday, I was surprised how far in the air he jumped.

Watt could easily have 16-17 sacks this year, also his run defense has improved this year over last.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    What you are talking about is the defense with both Fitzpatrick and Watt. The defense the first two weeks was with the same horrible play from the safety position that has plagued the defense for years. It is also a bit unfair because that was the best quarterback the Steelers will face all season, Russell Wilson, and Tom Brady with an offense scheme designed to focus on Watt and challenge pretty much any other Steeler on that defense to make a play.

Just because Fitzpatrick was the last piece the defense needed does not mean he is the best piece. That is still Watt. Both are great, but Watt is the one who deserves to be in the discussio for DPOY.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I want him to get 20 he is such a badazz.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Respectfully disagree. As you said, Minkah was the final piece this defense needed for this season. If he is the final piece, the defense becomes complete as turnovers are now possible. Minkah has something, in spades mind you, no other defensive back on this has; instincts.

As stated in another thread, T.J. tore the league asunder in 2018. Pittsburgh did not obtain many turnovers from not just him but the entire front seven's onslaught the same. The pass rush and coverage do compliment each other but you still need "that guy" in the back end.

Again though, here is the biggest aspect no one is paying attention to. Let us assume Sean Davis never gets hurt and Minkah does not come to Pittsburgh. Is Pittsburgh still a 7-5 team with Playoff Implications?!

24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    As I wrote on the other thread, if Chickillo is the left outside linebacker, is Pittsburgh still 7-5 with a shot at the playoffs?

The Steelers need them both. Watt produces big plays more consistently, which makes sense given his position. Fitzpatrick was all but invisible in the loss to the Browns and he was fairly quiet yesterday. That doesn't mean he wasn't doing his job, but it does matter.

25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Pittsburgh has an ELITE PASS RUSH overall. An elite pas rusher helps in the form of T.J. Watt but to truly get to the QB while confusing the opposing offense, that pass rush has to come from everywhere.

Regarding coverage, Minkah is the commander in chief as the FS. He is the BIGGEST reason why not just Pittsburgh's secondary but defense has gone from good to elite.

Again, does this team sit at 7-5 with Sean Davis as the FS?!

• Agree Agree x 1