1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

tomlin adjusts defense

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Acorn, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
  2. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I think Tomlin is having fun this year because he is actually coaching. With the 3 B's he just thought that talent alone would win. He didn't worry about the defense because if they gave up 37 points, no problem the 3 B's would figure out a way to score 38.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The fact that this is news is not inspiring.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I mean, thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  6. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    What's the DC doing?

7. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    TOMLIN the HC of the Pittsburgh Steelers was spotted actually coaching at halftime. I guess everyone was shocked by it so it became a news story!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Well I guess its better late than never for Tomlin to start coaching :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Are you guys upset that the smartest person in the room, the head coach, took over when needed and helped his team win a game? Of course not

So that means you are upset that the 2nd smartest guy, the DC, didn’t make the adjustment himself. Fair point.

There is a reason some guys are had coaches and some are coordinators and some are position coaches. And when the smartest guy sees something that needs to be addressed he addressed it. No different than a CEO sometimes wearing the CFO’s hat or the CIO’s hat. Just how it works. And be happy that your team has a CEO that can do this.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    :facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
  11. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    You're entitled to your opinion. But calling Tomlin the smartest guy ANYWHERE makes you sound silly. If you want to use the business analogy, the greatest leaders have long stated that they are/were successful because they surrounded themselves with people smarter than they are. A HC is no different. The HC should be as much leader as coach, if not more. He should have brilliant coordinators surrounding him that make him look good.

Do you think Dick Lebeau was less "smart" than some of the coaches he worked under? I don't. I think he was brilliant and made Cowher's defenses some of the best of this era. Tomlin was a beneficiary of Lebeau as well.

As far as his adjustments, are you saying that he has always promptly addressed what needed addressed? I certainly don't think that he has, and supposedly doing that yesterday doesn't offer proof that he has been good at it in the past.

• Like Like x 4
  12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Tomlin does something good and people seem to be upset by that.
    SMH

• Agree Agree x 8
  13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Hopefully enjoying his last few weeks...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    With no real information, I always had the feeling that Tomlin gave lots of responsibilities and free reign to his coordinators. I like the CEO analogy - unless a lower level administrator is screwing up, let them do their job. And since Tomlin is a defensive guy, I guess it makes sense to intervene with the defense. However, it is his offensive coordinator that seems pretty offensive. It was tied at the half and the defense was doing OK, with the exception of the first drive. The offense was stagnant and struggling. Who was helping the offensive coordinator make adjustments, because that was badly needed? And that side of the ball is in the most need of help, what with all the injuries and rookies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Tomlin does something good and some people can't seem to be able to stop gushing over him.

If he does that 7 million more times, he'll earn his salary for this season.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I really don’t care about all that stuff. I just like to watch and support my favorite team. I tend to not over analyze the Steelers. Takes the fun out of it.

17. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Fair enough. I prefer that the HC actually coaches the squad.

18. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    The story wasn't that he was coaching. It was that he was drawing up things they hadn't previously done. But I shouldn't be surprised that in the midst of a remarkable coaching job people still manage to turn a positive story into a criticism of Tomlin.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey The Glory Days.

Yes to this: "the greatest leaders have long stated that they are/were successful because they surrounded themselves with people smarter than they are". Absolutely my friend. I have been stating this all along.

I do not know how true it is but a friend of mine told me that during practices, Bear Bryant would get up in his tower and just oversee practice from that "Vantage Point". He did not intervene that much because he had confidence with all of assistant coaches. Now, that is taking charge and what I envision as the day to day operations of a "Well-oiled and fully functioning machine".

Your business analogy is spot-on as well. Similar to teaching. As I have stated here several times, that the most successful Principals that I have witnessed had a "great supporting cast" such as the Assistant Principals, Department Heads and other school personnel in position of leadership.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

20. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    If Tomlin isn't the smartest guy in the coaches room than who is?

21. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Head coaches don't need other coaches who are "smarter" than they are to have success.

What head coaches probably need are other coaches who work well with each other and players, offer different perspectives and insight into the game, good teachers who can get their messages through to the players, and can ultimately do the job they are paid to do. There is more to it but those are probably just the basics.

22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm still scratching my head over the statement that butler was the second smartest guy in the room, unless there were only two people in the room and then who were they coaching? :scratch::cool:

23. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    215px-The_Wizard_of_Oz_Ray_Bolger_1939.jpg

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I thought it was announced at the beginning of the year that Butler would be taking over as the LB coach, and Tomlin would be taking over the calling of the defense.

Right now we do not have a DC other than Tomlin.

I think Butler still has the title of DC, but I do not believe he is actually doing it.

25. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    This is not surprising. He's been coaching. But people believe what they want to believe. Thus, the majority of posts on this thread and this board. This isn't the first time Tomlin has coached his coordinators, either. But you'd have to be paying attention to what he's actually doing versus all the BS spin that is thrown around.