1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

False Start on Hodges

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Lizard72, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Did anyone get an explanation on this call?

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    There's a fair few explanations they'll need to be making...

I know that some refs are calling false starts when QBs clap before the snap (which I believe they're meant to), but others aren't. From the replay it looked like Hodges was stock still, though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I think the Duck sneezed causing the call because I will be damned if I can figure anything else out on that play.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Yea this crew was a bunch of morons and probably one of the worst officiating crews I have ever seen. They were dumb and late pretty much calling every penalty that they did. And it seemed like every bad and questionable call went against the Steelers. It was god awful and embarrassing.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    There were three really bad calls - the Hodges false start; the touchback/1 yard line punt return; and the roughing the passer on Dupree.

I know I tend to watch the game through Steeler lenses but I'm struggling on all of those to see what the refs saw. On the touchback, I initially thought the kicking team just had to touch the ball dead, until Fouts gave the analogy of the catch. Still shaking my head from that. Thank goodness Snell got us out of that situation.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    The Hodges penalty and the touchback that wasn't are completely inexplicable.......
    The refs could probably get away with Dupree's call by saying that the game was being called tightly due to the drama of the last game...
    Still an awful call though

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    The false start was just a bad call. Ducks shoulder's barely moved, but I didn't see anything warranting a penalty.

The touchback challenge was weird, but I was at the game, and on the jumbo-tron replay, it looked pretty clear that the Browns player touched/stopped the ball while still completely on the field, then fell into the end zone after losing contact with the ball. I thought it was a bad decision to challenge it, but thankfully the loss of the timeout didn't affect the game.

8. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Right, but according to Fouts the player has to basically control it to stop it - not just bat it, which it appeared the Browns player did.

My understanding of the rules was that touching the ball (i.e. what the Browns player did) is illegal but the ball remains in play until possession is secured. At that point, the receiving team can either take the ball at the point where the foul occurred (i.e. where the kicking player touched it), or where the play ended. So if a kicking player touches the ball on the 15, but it somehow then rolls back into the endzone, the receiving team can opt to take the touchback.

I'm usually about 30 years behind on the rules, though, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

9. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I know your not allowed to jerk your head on a hard count, by the QB. Maybe they thought he did that, but it sure didn't look like it, Qb's back in the day used to do that all the time.

10. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It was obvious the League wanted Browns to make Playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    And just to pile on, our receivers were being mugged on most medium and long passes. At least three catches were made with only one available arm and no flag was thrown. Even if caught, you still throw the flag. Terrible officiating.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah, I thought the drive where Washington caught his amazing TD (while being interfered with) were two other non-call PI's. Tevin Jones was the most blatant and he caught the ball as well.... browns player clearly hit his back before the ball arrived. At least.... in the end.... the bad calls didn't impact the result of the game, but there certainly were more than our fair share of head scratchers, as already stated by others above. Dupree.... really???

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    The Dupree penalty makes me want to stop watching football. How the game is called should never be influenced by personal issues. It was a clean hit and not even late. CAn't play the game anymore.

The Hodge false start has to make him scared to even line up behind center as he had absolutely zero movement.

The touchback oh well but it doesn't make any sense either.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    the false start was ridiculous.. the browns player who jumped offsides slapped his own helmet in disgust, basically admitting his mistake, and didn't even try to blame the offense, like what usually happens in those cases with both sides blaming the other.. couple non-call PI plays that should have been called.. to call roughing on Dupree on a clean hit at that critical time of the game was absolutely awful. don't forget, we lost to the Ravens in large part due to a bogus roughing call on their last drive. touchback was absurd as well. yes, he hit the ball back in bounds.. but how can they possibly say he actually possessed it? he didn't even get a complete grip on the ball with one hand, all while flying through the air without getting a foot down.. how is that considered possessing the football? we've all seen way less than that ruled touchbacks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

I don't see anything here to be penalized :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    But if he sneezed his head would have bobbed a bit, but it didn't. I'm thinking it was one of his award winning duck calls that spooked the ref. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Wondering if the head ref messed up and heard "false start #6" instead of "off-sides #65" and no one corrected him. No other explanation. :club:

18. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    We were lucky enough to have the worst officiating crew available. It seemed like even the simplest calls they made required a 5 to 10 minute discussion.

19. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    This is exactly what I was thinking when they made that BS call.... Here we go again. Thankfully it didn't end up costing us. I hate to say it, but maybe they need to make RTP reviewable. I don't want the games delayed anymore than they already are, but the refs get this call wrong way too much.

20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The refs don't call a RTP on the Browns when Hodges got hit late, but Dupree gets called for it later on :facepalm:.

21. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That was my issue with the call on Dupree. The hit on Hodges was even later and every bit as violent. Maybe Dupree's helmet touched Mayfiedl's, but Richardson led with his helmet when he hit Hodges. They should call both or neither, but to only call it against the Steelers was a joke. It wasn't as bad as the phantom false start on Hodges, but it was bad.

I'm not sure about missed pass interference calls. The defender was a bit early on the Jones catch, but they did throw the flag on Washington's touchdown. The Steelers just declined it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    What is grounds for a little optimism is that calls like those that went against us yesterday have lately been more than we could overcome. We played above the officiating. We minimized our mistakes. We capitalized on theirs. We didn't let the game play us. For the first time maybe this whole season, our offense dictated to the opposing defense, not the other way around. Time to break old habits and come out of the gates strong on the west(ish) coast. Let's play well enough that the refs can't hurt us and stack some wins! Go Stillers!! :towel:

• Like Like x 1
  23. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Its the inconsistencies in nearly every game. I was listening to a retired NFL ref on the Will Cain show last week and never imagined the amount of work they put in to prep for a game. As a crew they are told certain aspects of rules that have been missed, or need closer detail. Problem is hoe do you define that? Not just this week, but there are flags flying from ghost sightings, if the hit from Dupree was roughing, then what was the hit on Duck? And this is not a conspiracy thought, just lack of transparency and inconsistent calls.

24. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I do, Encroachment from the defense.

25. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Maybe the call was false start #66, and the ref mumble-mouthed it.;+)