1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Offer #48 a respectable contact.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Dec 1, 2019.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Dupree is playing out of his mind right now. Even with Tuitt out, he is still elevating his game. Needed Watt on the other side but Bud is really taking it to the next level this season.

2. steelburgh

steelburgh Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    What do you think it is going to take to get a deal done?

3 years, $40-45 million?

3. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Bud is probably going to test the market.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. steelburgh

steelburgh Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Is the franchise tag available?

5. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    5 years 60 million sounds about right to me.

6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes

But be clear, he will not sign here, there, or anywhere for a reasonable contract. He will want over paid. Someone will over pay him. It is what it is.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Keep him on one year deals, he responds to those.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    1year of production after being here 5 years, and everyone here wants to sign him..Why so he will be overpaid and everyone can start hating on him again:shrug:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Definitely should offer but he may break the bank and we will need to sign Watt. Would likely need to dump Barron and Chickillo.

Maybe the Tag is a more realistic option? Give it another year, presumably with Ben back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

TJ Watt being what he is obviously helps Bud. Keep them both on the roster and QB's will be uncomfortable for years to come. He will test the market but going anywhere else will be another set back and I think he knows that. Should probably Tag him and let someone break the bank to be mediocre for their team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Bud will be gone, he will be over paid. Save the funds for Watt

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    What's the alternative? They have no one to replace him, also no first round pick next year.

13. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Yea I'll pass.. 1 good year doesn't outdo the 4 other garbage ones.. Plus he's prob playing outta his mind because he knows it's a contract year. He signs and might go right back to sucking

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Something tells me though there is more to the Barron signing than Tomlin is letting on. Keep in mind he is a UFA in 2021. Keep in mind also that the team also traded for Minkah the same.

Call me crazy but I believe the Steelers will change Terrell to a linebacker in the same vein that Barron was changed when he was with Tampa Bay. Keep in mind that Butler and Tomlin both alluded to the fact that Terrell being switched to another position was not out of the possibility after the conclusion of the 2018 Draft.

Terrell's contract runs through 2021; not including the fifth year option. Could that be the time in which the Steelers elect to switch Terrell to Linebacker?! Time will tell.

15. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    It is at about 15 mil give or take. This was addressed in another post. The current cap situation, with the annual cap increase, and say the team cuts dead weight to get to 30 million (a big if, but possibly doable). The tag would take half of that, remember Colbert likes to have 5 million under the cap after train camp. You need to sign rookies, what do you have left? They may be able to get some more, but essentially if you tag him you are putting everything in one position without addressing other glaring needs. You also have a limited number of picks next year. At this juncture I just do not see how they can do it. The transition tag is another option, let's another team set his market, then the Steelers have an option to match. I do not know how that affects a possible comp pick however.

16. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Dupree is playing well, he doesn't take those big loops around the tackles any more. Since he is not doing that he has been much better. Also not dropping him and Watt into pass coverage has really helped. But why did it take 5 years to figure this out?????

17. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Burns, Davis, Gay, Mitchell needed help?

Minkah & Nelson are lights out this year.

18. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Agree with the secondary players we have now, the OLB can pin their ears and rush now. But Dupree has helped his case by not doing those wide looping rush plays and taking himself out of the play. With him playing like he has this year, we need to at least think about signing him. I would of never of said that prior to this year and was also his biggest critic prior to this year.

19. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I did not watch the game, but heard someone say they were also switching TJ and Bud..if so and working..what a nightmare for QB's.

20. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I'm still critical of Bud but like that he crawled out from obscurity. Great season for him.

21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Well what are you offering him?

22. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    they only switched sides on two plays I think

I hope they let Bud walk, he'll want too much and they need to sign some other guys specifically Hargrave (who will test the market too I'm sure) and Hilton. I wouldn't want the team to spend more than 8-9mil per season and he won't go for that.

If Sutton continues his ascension, we could possibly cope with the loss of Hilton. But Hargrave will be a tough one, esp with Tuitt's yearly injury.

I'd rather pay Hargrave who has been a consistent performer than Bud. At least we have Ola and Skipper whereas for DL we are pretty empty with Alualu long in the tooth and Buggs still a question mark.

23. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    I personally would franchise him . Let him prove this year is not an apperition . The way they are playing on defense this year ,I would like a repeat performance next year with a more stable offense .Lets try to keep all the pieces in place. If it works out great....if it doesn't then you let him walk.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Bud has some leverage here mind you. Who knows what Ola will be at this point?! It is difficult to say for certain.

Javon definitely deserves a contract though but will likely price himself out of Pittsburgh. That said, his skillset is rare for a 3-4 Nose Tackle. Not many of those around in the league.

One thing is for certain and two is for sure. Glad I am not Omar Kahn! :lolol:

25. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    You can offer him a 'reasonable' contract, but he'll surely see what other teams offer, and someone will offer more, he'll likely take the more.

You can franchise him at a big cap hit. And that may mean you can't sign other pieces you'll want to make a 2020 push with a hopefully healthy Big Ben.

Or you can let him go, use his $9m cap money to fill in as best you can.

I see no other choices.