1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

NFL All Time Team

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by The Glory Days, Nov 29, 2019.

1. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Mean Joe was the first defensive player chosen for the all-time team. Joined by Lambert and Ham.

There will be many more from the dynasty on that team before it's over.

Enjoyed this little nugget when reading about our first 3 selections...

"Andy Russell, who occupied the middle linebacker spot while Jack Lambert held down the other outside spot, wrote about Ham and a game against the San Diego Chargers in 1975. The Steelers had a comfortable lead, when both players were substituted for to give them a rest. As they stood on the sidelines talking about Ham's involvement in the coal business, the Chargers intercepted and returned the ball to the three-yard. Ham was sent back into the game to try and secure a shutout.

"The first play the Chargers ran was a sweep to the right," wrote Russell. "Bad idea. Ham took their giant tight end, threw him aside, speared the runner behind the line of scrimmage causing him to fumble, which of course Jack recovered. As he slowly walked off the field, he casually flipped the ball to the ref. Returning to our position on the sideline, Jack turned to me smiling and said, 'Where was I?'"

That is what I base my current frustrations on, acting like you've been there before. No wild celebrations or selfies in front of the crowd. Just 100% bad-ass domination and the subsequent reaction that demonstrated the mindset of simply doing one's job.

• Like Like x 8
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Mel Blount, Rod Woodson and the man in my avatar are likely the next Steelers in line to be selected for the defense. Quite the list for the Steelers defensively. Pittsburgh truly knows how to select great defensive players given that list as there are far more hits than misses.

Offensively speaking?! "Iron Mike" gets in no problem. Swann and Stallworth together though is unlikely as silly as that may seem. Too many challengers; the likes of Rice, Owens and Moss alone being daunting. Doubftul Terry gets in.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    There is a problem with that story. Russell was other outside linebacker and Lambert was the middle linebacker.

4. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Semantics.

You must be great fun at parties.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 9
  5. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    He can't help it. After all, he - is - a - Former - Scribe. Actually haven't heard that term used since my early days with Plato and Socrates. :read:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    At least know we know it was your error, not theirs, which is why you are trying to argue that it doesn't matter. Would you like some help understanding the difference between a middle linebacker and an outside linebacker?

7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Lambert & Russell could have played either positions. Both had the talent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Well, thank god that little bit of confusion was cleared up.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Those were the last days of a great NFL era. Today, the culture of the NFL is in the gutter and will only get worse unfortunately.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    The Duck can be on my all time team if he can win Sunday against the Stains.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  11. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Once again, you show up after not reading, jumping to conclusions, and showing your ass. I was quoting what I had read. I stated that.

I posted something that elicited an emotional reaction. It didn't have anything to do with whether Lambert was middle or outside. You are so hell bent on being anal about every single, stinking minute detail, down to the letter or punctuation, that you miss the entire point of what is being said. And you take the messages off topic, hijack threads, and ruin conversations for others. And THEN you double down on your rhetoric and try to come up with ways to discredit people out of having opinions.

You can take your stupid, misguided comments and blow them out your ass. I mean, we all know you post just to read your own comments. You probably speak out loud in an empty room just to hear your own voice. Do you sit alone and argue with yourself? Wait, don't answer that.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    That's what I thought when I first read this. I thought maybe that they had switched positions for certain situations although I don't remember that happening.
    The bottom line is that it doesn't matter if they were playing nose guard or safety it is a great story.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I have relatives who are like this. They'll argue just for the sake of arguing! I had 2 uncles who didn't speak to each other for more than 20 years after an argument over, of all things, porcelain bathtubs! I find the ignore button works well on these types!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    :popcorn:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I don’t trust you to quote what you read properly. You certainly missed what is a fairly significant error. Instead of simply acknowledging it, you just had to attack me for correcting it. Ad hominem is all you have. You posted something incorrect. Just because you claim to be quoting somebody else doesn't mean what you posted isn't wrong.

Your handle suggests a fascination with the past. Perhaps you should know something about the past if you are going to go that route. Part of appreciating the past is knowing what actually happened. There is nothing misguided about that at all.

If somebody came on here talking about how the Steelers need another safety like Mel Blount to pair with Fitzpatrick, we shouldn't correct them? Opinions are great. That's what a message board is for. Sharing things that elicit emotion is great, too. We all have the shared experience of being Steelers fans. That doesn't mean we can't acknowledge mistakes when they happen. I don't think it's too much to ask that we actually remember what position a Hall of Famer like Lambert played.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You do realize Lambert was a middle linebacker and Russell played outside, right?

He was wrong. There is no doubt about that. The argument should end right there.

17. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Who gives a ****? Does it change the story at all? The point of the story still stands, even if the terminology wasn't proper.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I'd recommend against it. Safety Josh Shaw of AZ Cards just got suspended rest of this season and all of 2020 for betting on NFL games. ;)

19. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Not if Lambert lined up outside a time or two. I can't remember him doing it myself.

20. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    "knew how to pick"..sometime along the line they forgot..at least for awhile It may have been there own success and having to draft later, other teams catching up, or just getting to comfortable (or lazy) , but it was a long while after the 74 draft before any steeler )drafted after that date) was an all pro. Two names stand out 75 to 80, Robin Cole and Dwayne Woodruff..good solid careers but I would not say great. From 80 to 86 the only name that stands out is Mike Merriwether. 86 gave us Woodson, Lloyd, and Hardy Nickerson, 89 Carnell lake. Let's not forget about Aaron Jones, Darryl Sims, and Huey Richardson..they were no 1's in Noll's time.

I am not bashing your sentiments, but in reality once past the 74 draft the Steeler picks look quite average. yes a generational player here and there, but year in and out I would say their drafts were below average after 74..and it showed.

21. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Hey CurrentScrub, you're an idiot. You would rather point out that I am wrong with a direct quote than accept the spirit of my post. You add nothing to the conversation. And your analogy couldn't be further from my quote. You're just trying to make yourself sound intelligent. Like your original reply to me, you failed.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:hmm:

Well.. I implore you to read this then. Quite the find the same.

https://theriotreport.com/scout-camp-2018-about-the-author/

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The spirit of your original post was fine, but the content was flawed.

You messed up, but you would rather attack me and engage in lame name-calling than acknowledge it.

The only poster here having trouble sounding intelligent is the guy who may not even know what position Jack Lambert played. I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt at first and assume you just copied something without reading it carefully, which is easy enough to do, but your aggressive defense of the error makes me think it is possible that you actually didn't know.

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    https://www.steelers.com/history/bios/ham_jack

In service of my desire to be fair, I looked it up. Steelers.com did have it wrong. It is a sloppy error that the writer and editor of the site should find very embarrassing. As I said, maybe Glory Days just didn't read it carefully, or maybe he really doesn't know that much about the glory days after all. Either way, the true embarrassment belongs to the people running the Steelers' website.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    What about the difference in Middle linebackers and Outside linebackers in the 4-3 as opposed to the 3-4? We could go on and on about this.

• Agree Agree x 1