1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mason era should be over

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers304, Nov 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey SteelCity_NB.

If for nothing else, and all being equal between Mason's and Duck's play performance, maybe it is just best to keep Mason out of the Browns game. I for one never played scared. but possibly emotional yes, which there is a difference! If Mason was playing head and shoulders above Duck, then it is a no-brainer for me, start Mason. However, he is not. Given that, let us look at the emotional factors from the last Brown's game still fresh and lingering. We cannot afford "a possible emotional Mason" out there or anyone else from our team who may have lingering afterthoughts from that game. Everyone's head on our team has to be collectively screwed on tight. Especially, since we are still as I like to say "significant" in the playoff race.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

2. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Hey everybody, this has been the Bears fans lives since the 80's. lol

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Yep. without a top notch QB it's very difficult to win in this league

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This will not be popular... And as such we should look to upgrade the QB spot by any means necessary ... Our poor QB play allows Teams to stack against the run..It allows Teams to single cover good WR'S...It allows Teams to send more heat and play more man..This is crazy talk because if we had a QB 10 % better it would boost those areas by 2 or 3 fold ..

Not to mention what the threat of a QB who could run would open up...OKay I did mention it at that effect on a D would give you another 1 to 2 X transfer in playability ..Now that all that is out of the way signing Kap to play QB is clearly the best move for trying to win right now ..

I don't really care about how people feel about him personally ? Is he a better option than what you have ? Of course he is ..Is our D finally playing better of course they are ..We finally made real moves to Improve the back end as I been screaming about for years ,,I guess better late than never ..A Different topic for a different day ..

The point is with a better QB and with better QB play then this Team as it is currently constructed has a real shot at making a real run ..I am sure some will be like I would rather not win than sign him ,,,and others like me will be like you do what you need to do to win..

I guess what I am getting at is Why would we not sign him ? Before we go all political this is a simple debate about his skills compared to the guys we have playing the position ..After all it's about winning right ? And I am not sure anyone could argue he could not help this Team do that better than our other options...

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  5. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Kap hasn't played in 3 years.

The 2 previous seasons before he had a record of 3-16.

People need to stop thinking he can play at the level that he did in his SB year.

He's finished as a NFL football player.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I think the stage is too big for Mason. Preseason he looked good enough to win the starting job but during games he loses his calmness and can't relax out there. I hope Hodges does better which I think he will.

7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Rudolph seemed to be making progress until the concussion. Since then, he has regressed. Maybe it really is in his head. Maybe he's just not ready. Most likely, he's just not good enough. That's a problem because it means Roethlisberger's replacement isn't on the roster.

The Steelers have to be hoping right now that Roethlisberger can at least return to play out his contract. If they can get some help on offense and keep most of that defense together, the Steelers might be able to damage with the last gasps of Roethlisberger in 2020 and perhaps 2021.

I'm not sure what they do the rest of the season, but I do think it has to be Hodges next week. The one advantage I thought Rudolph had over Hodges until the last two games is I trusted him to take care of the ball better. That is no longer the case.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Cant really judge preseason. 90% of the guys he played against arent in the nfl right now.

9. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    NO!! Politics aside, he’s not that good. And Villanueva would pinch his head off.

• Like Like x 2
  10. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Ahh Hell NO

• Like Like x 1
  11. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Devlin looked okay the few quarters he was in. Start him against the browns. Mason needs to put in work with a ab coach. Maybe he’s not pro material or maybe he’s beat up mentally I don’t know.

12. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    This right here when duck came in he was moving and rolling out Mason just don't do that.

13. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    An " ab coach "... What's he gonna do, Teach him how to throw furniture? Or a tantrum? :hehehe:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  14. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Mason has heavy feet and makes slow decisions with the ball. Maybe he someday puts it all together. But i have my doubt

HACK

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. steelersfan35

steelersfan35 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2016
    1. Do we have a QB controversy?
    2. Is too premature to label Mason as a bust?
    3. Should we start scouting for Ben's replacement or continue to let Mason & Duck develop behind Ben before he retires?

16. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    1- No. It should be Duck going forward unless he craps the bed.
    2- Yes. But it isn't looking good for him.
    3- Absolutely keep scouting.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I know one thing as we had the Steelers/Bungals on one tv and Eagles/Seahawks on another and me and the kids were watching our teams while keeping an eye on some bets we put in. We noticed the QB play in the NFL is very bad. My son and his best friend are Eagle fans and they were slamming Wentz. We were watching some of the Bears and wow Trubisky is bad, Finley wasn't good and either was Mason. Foles didn't look good in Jax and Driskel, Haskins, Carr and mr MVP talk himself Dak all had bad weeks. While the QB position gets all the glory it also get a lot if not all the blame when they stink.

With the above said Duck came in and had an instant spark. After that went just about as good as Mason, however what I did like about Duck was how he moved in the pocket. Mason don't do that and that is leading to blocked passes like yesterday which were intercepted. I was one who stuck up for Mason and there was a few of us but if Mason couldn't do nothing vs the Bunholes than we need to try something different. That doesn't mean we can't go back but for now let Duck see what he can do in this pitiful offense. At least if we start Duck it will take all the bs talk about the clowns and Mason this week.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017

Goodell not gonna like that...2 hand touch on the QB, and not the RB until after 5 yards

• Like Like x 1
  19. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    The bs has already started. Duck wasn't spectacular but seems to feel pressure & moves in the pocket better than Mason. Mason gets to the point of getting rid of the ball quicker & he should bounce back.

20. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    You know I was one of the Mason supporters but he looks shell shocked and while I am still hopeful I think Duck has a better chance for us from here on out mostly because he is more mobile.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Funny you should mention Mobile ...Oh Ok I won't but Vegas thinks we should and Hue Jackson thinks we should...I really think we should ...

22. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Absolutely and unequivocally on #3. Any delusions that Rudolph or Dobbs or Duck or anyone else the FO has brought in at QB over the past 5 years was an heir to Ben are just that, delusions. Ben's replacement is not on the roster. If the FO thought it was Rudolph, then that was a complete swing and a miss.

23. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    MR has no (It ) Factor. What does anyone see out of Mason Rudolph and say " that's IT !" That's what he brings to the team. Landry Jones was better than MR. I know Bradshaw had a bad start but he showed positives that you would see and wish he would develop faster or or more often. MR shows nothing other than no accuracy, can't step away from a 300 pound defender to save his life, can't read his surroundings and get rid of the ball fast enough. Maybe it will come in time ? Maybe sitting behind Ben for another or season or two with the knowledge he has gained from playing one season will get him together ? I hope so but I also doubt it. I can't, no I can believe our team graded him as a number one selection. Could you imagine if they really had taken him with a number one pick ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    All that being said the playcalling isn't helping anyone.

No team turns 1st and 10 to 2 and 12 better than the Steelers

They will run a screen on 1st that gets minus yards. Then run a delayed handoff on 2nd... and even if it kind of works we are suddenly in 3rd and long. . You can't put that kind of pressure on a young qb... we basically waste 2 downs then put it all on the QB for 1 play then punt.

That being said. I dont think Mason is throwing anyone open...or the WRs are just not getting enough separation for MR to feel comfortable taking the shot.

I wad blaming the OC.. but then Duck comes in and instantly starts heaving the ball 20 to 30 yards downfield. I doubt the OC decided to suddenly open it up and more likely Mason just not seeing it or trusting it

HACK

25. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Your buddy Kap, as you call him, is a cancer of a human being and not really any better than what we have. Factor in the likelihood that he would not be able to hear over the deafening boos at home and away games (as it should be) and our offense would most likely be worse.

• Agree Agree x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.