1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Wildcard standings...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Nov 24, 2019.

1. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Steelers do their job today and get a ton of help as well this weekend as the Colts lose Thursday night and the Raiders today unexpectedly get absolutely stomped by the Jets. Oakland losing is huge because they have to go to Kansas City next Sunday in a game they will probably lose and drop them to 6-6 and 4-4 in the conference.

So if the Steelers win next week against the Browns and get to 7-5 and 6-3 overall in the conference that would be a huge moving forward and would give them a huge edge over the Raiders moving forward for that last spot. Keep in mind as long as the Colts and Steelers have the same record the Steelers will stay ahead of them based on head to head tiebreaker. So the Steelers playoff chances most definitely improved today with this win.

The Browns are up next who all of a sudden are 5-6 and are one win over the Steelers away from passing them in the standings for a wildcard spot. Huge huge two game swing next week. A Steelers win puts them at 7-5 and the Browns at 5-7 and pretty much knocks the Browns out of wildcard contention. So a ton on the line next week here at Heinz Field but for now things are looking very good for the Steelers and their playoff chances. They very much improved today and this weekend with all the results that took place.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
  3. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Funny, everybody was laughing at me when I suggested that it was nice that the Jets were beating the Raiders. But clearly this is a big help to the Steelers. #6 seed.

Btw, good for Darnold. Had a good game. He took a lot of crap after the Pats game with that ghost crap but he's really bounced back.

4. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Hard to believe we currently hold a wildcard spot.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Probably more of an indication of how underwhelming the rest of the AFC is these days. Although didn't Seattle once win their Division at 7-9 or some bizarrely horrible record?

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    Yea that was huge for sure I didn’t expect that to happen but it did with the Raiders losing. I’ll keep saying 9 wins is the magic number to get in as a wildcard. The path to 9 wins is win your two home games with Cleveland next week and the Bills on December 15th and win one of those two road games at Arizona or at New York against the Jets which will not be easy. But first things first get to 7-5 by beating the Browns next week and hang onto that 6 spot with 4 games left.

• Like Like x 1
  7. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I admire the optimism. A repeat of last season is probably more likely though.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    Keep an eye on the Titans as well they are gonna win today and improve to 6-5 and have a huge game at Indy next week. If you’re the Steelers you probably want the Colts to win that game and drop the Titans to 6-6 so they aren’t in that 7-5 mix as well. Because if the Colts win and Steelers win and both are 7-5 the Steelers stay ahead of Indy based on head to head still. But right now as we sit the teams the Steelers need to worry about for that 6 seed or 5 seed are the Bills,Raiders, Colts, Titans, and the Browns. A win over the Browns next week and a Titans loss in Indy can pretty much eliminate both the Titans and Browns and make this a 4 teams for 2 spots race with the Steelers, Bills, Raiders, and Colts.

The Steelers keep in mind can still catch the Bills as well. The Bills cupcake schedule is over after today. Their last 5 games are at Dallas, Baltimore, at the Steelers, at the Patriots and the Jets who no gimmie now either. So I won’t rule them out finishing at 9-7 with that schedule which I think will happen. And if the Steelers beat them here at Heinz Field and they finish 9-7 with the Bills that’s another team they will own the head to head tiebreaker over and get in the playoffs over if it comes down to that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Where is Jim Mora when you need him?

• Like Like x 1
  10. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    you summoned the mora?

mora_playoffs.gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 8
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    Here are the remaining schedules for the wildcard teams the Steelers are competing with along with their records.

Steelers 6-5 : Browns, AT Cards, Bills, AT Jets, AT Ravens

Bills 8-3: AT Cowboys, Ravens, AT Steelers, AT Patriots, Jets

Colts 6-5: Titans, AT Bucs, AT Saints, Panthers, AT Jaguars

Raiders 6-5: AT Chiefs, Titans, Jaguars, AT Chargers, AT Broncos

Titans 6-5: AT Colts, AT Raiders, Texans, Saints, AT Texans

I’ll stick by the fact that if the Steelers beat the Browns and Bills at home and split those two road games against the Cardinals and Jets that gets them to 9 wins and that will definitely be good enough to get in as a wildcard and win tiebreakers over a lot those teams above based on their remaining schedules.

12. SteelersForLife8810

SteelersForLife8810 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Stairway to Seven baby!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  13. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey steel_ben7.

Like I stated earlier today in a thread, I do not see us as not being competitive in our remaining games. Even with the erratic QB play. More importantly though, IMO, We need to get healthy. Specifically at WR, RB, find the Invisible TEs and have the coaching staff collectively get their acts together.

Even with all of those in their current states we have remained competitive except for the Brown's game, which in fact we were somewhat in until the Mason meltdown, which hopefully is out of his system. Given that though, we do not even know who is going to be the QB next week.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

14. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    It will have to be quite a turn around for the offense for us to get the wins you are talking about. Duck will have to play well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think it’s most likely true that if we win the games you’ve listed to go 9-7, we’ll be in. However, I can construct some plausible scenarios where there are two 10-6 teams ahead of us. If the Bills can manage to win either of the two games that they play before us, they’re nearly a lock for 10 wins. We need to be big Cowboys fans Thursday.

16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Some of those remaining games look a lot more difficult than they did a few weeks ago. The Steelers' offense has gotten worse and we don't know when Smith-Schuster and Conner will return. The Bills and Jets are both playing better lately. Both seem to have figured some things out on offense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The bills have been playing pretty good all season.:cool:

18. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    Yea I’m with you there with the Bills. Just incase it would come down to a possible tiebreaker scenario with the Bills and Steelers at 9-7 the Steelers really need the Bills to lose in Dallas on Thanksgiving and at home the following week against the Ravens on December 8th. Let’s say the Steelers beat the Browns next week and lose in Arizona the following week and the Bills lose their next two games to both Dallas and Baltimore that would put the Bills at 8-5 and the Steelers at 7-6 going into that huge game here Dec 15th at Heinz Fieid with the Bills. If the Steelers beat the Bills that game they are both 8-6 and the Steelers would jump the Bills with the head to head tiebreaker. And guess what the following week the Bills are at New England which will probably put them at 8-7.

So if that happens the Steelers would just need to beat the Jets on Dec 22nd in New York to get to 9 wins which would then guarantee them finishing ahead of the Bills even if they lose in Baltimore the final week and the Bills beat the Jets the final week. Both would be 9-7 and the Steelers get in based on head to head tiebreaker.

And I’ll keep saying this as well that I feel the Colts, Raiders and Titans will finish no better then 9-7 and if that happens and the Steelers finish 9-7 they get in over the Colts with the head to head tiebreaker and most likely get in over both the Raiders and Titans because they will have a better AFC Conference record then both of those teams. So I’ll say it one more time win these two home games with both the Browns and Bills and either win on the road against either the Cards or Jets and you will get in the playoffs as a wildcard at 9-7. It’s really that simple.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    That Bills schedule is brutal!

If the Steelers can somehow grind out three wins then 9-7 should get them in. I don’t trust this team to get three wins from five though, or more specifically I don’t trust the offence. I also cannot see them winning a playoff game but it would be good experience for the young guys I guess.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Break it down real simple for the young guys.
    Playoff games equal more paychecks.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I give the Colts better than 50/50 odds of making it to 10-6 with their remaining schedule. They’ve had a rough patch, but I think they’re a better team (with Brissett and Hilton) than anyone left on their schedule other than the Saints.

22. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    I could see them being 10-6 like you mentioned but I think they finish 9-7. I think they lose in New Orleans and drop one of the 4 remaining games they play either against Tennessee or Carolina at home or at Tampa or at Jacksonville on the road. The Colts have lost too many bad games this year and I think they will have at least one more loss in there out of the 4 games I just mentioned. The Colts desperately need to finish at 10-6 because they lose the head to head tiebreakers against both the Raiders and the Steelers. So they are gonna have a very hard time overcoming that and getting in at 9-7 it won’t happen.

23. chuckie_os

chuckie_os Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

Looking @ everyone else's schedules....

Bills will finish 9-7.... They do not have the offensive power to keep them in games again Cowboys, Ravens, Patriots.. If the Cowboys were playing in Buff, I may have a different say.. But after last night, I'm sorry Jason Garret is on the hot seat and will take his anger out on Buffalo.. They do have a good D, but that can only take you so far (with a mediocre offense)... The Steelers Bills game will be who gets the last WC spot... If it were in Buff I would say L.. But i don't think their offense can put points on our D.. they have an ok receiving corp who doesn't have a "big name" but can make plays when needed... they have a good RB (but we are pretty decent against the run).. and a shaky QB...

Colts: 9-7... see them losing to Saints and either the titans or panthers (but not both).. I do see the Bucs putting them to the test but I don't think they'll lose to them... Good thing we have Tie Breaker over them... Can TY stay healthy.. can they find someone (if not healthy) to take his catches?? Is Brissett really the answer there???

Raiders 8-8... They are the most overrated team out of the 5 here.. They have 3 games on the road.. which they will lose... and may even lose to the titans (since they'll be playing their butt off to get a WC spot.. Gruden will choke like yesterday against the JETS...:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Titans- The toughest schedule of all 5 teams.. But they will finish 8-8 at best... They'll lose to Texans (both times) and saints.. They have a dynamic RB who's finally starting to come around and can Tannehill do something productive with the team?? He's been looking shockingly decent since starting.. The thing that will let them down is their Defense.. Mediocre at best..

So that brings me down to the Steelers...
    I think we finish 10-6....
    We handle business against browns, cards, bills and jets.. but lose to Balt.. (and it takes them OT to beat us again)... I think we get fired up against Clev and make baker have a game similar to the one against seattle and we finally cause a few T.O. on him... Our DB remember what Landry and OBJ said to Tomlin and they have a combined 100 yds and 0 TD... We beat the cards in a very close match.. but the Steelers West nation helps us out some... we beat the bills.. I mean they haven't played anyone good (other than the Pats) and lost that game... yes they beat the titans but they also lost by 18 at home to the eagles..??If we shut their RB down then we will be fine.. A toss up game next vs the Jets... I hate to say it but they are slowly putting things together... And with them having the extra rest (they play on a thurs the week before.. against ratbirds) that could hurt us.. You know Bell will be out for revenge and being in NJ will be difficult.. Darnold is slowly... and i mean sssssslllllllooooooowwwwllllllyyy getting the ghost out of his head from the PATS game... We are looking past them and barely win in a nail-biter by 3...
    Then the Ratbird game.. Since the new trend on social media is the decade challenge ill take us back.. since the 09 season.. the steelers and ravens have only not split their divison games (excluding playoffs) in the 2017 (Steelers), 2015 (Ravens) 2011 (Ravens) seasons... and unfortunately we lost this to add to my stat... the odd years are dooming us...

24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They have, but there has been a lot of talk that they are just taking advantage of an easy schedule and the team isn't that good. The offense has improved lately. From the report I heard, they went with more of an up-tempo approach the last two weeks and it has been very effective.

25. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Bills remaining schedule is crazy hard. They could drop 4 out 5 of those games easy.
    Doing that puts them at 9-7.