1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pittsburgh missing out on MLS team

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by Go 'lers, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Go 'lers

Go 'lers Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    I don't expect a lot of fans to agree with me on this but Pittsburgh not having an MLS team (not the lower tiered USL team) is something the city is missing out on. It's the fastest growing league and sport in the country and the Burgh may have missed the train on getting a team.

Atlanta and Seattle are filling NFL stadiums to watch their teams play. Does anyone actually think Atlanta and Seattle are better sports towns than Pittsburgh??

The passion at these games is the most intense you'll get in any professional league in this county, it's more akin to college football.

Anyway, what do others think?

2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I dunno. I don't really think Pittsburgh is a big soccer town. Just my opinion.

3. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I have no interest at all. If Pittsburgh thought it could make money on it, I'm sure they looked into it. Maybe the USL thought Pittsburgh works better as a Div. II town with the Riverhounds.

4. Go 'lers

Go 'lers Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    I agree that this might be true right now, that was also true with the city of Cincinnati (booo!) but from the very FIRST year it was an overnight success. A city with no significany soccer history saw sellout crowds with a Div II team. Just see...

Even in the football lovin' South the city of Atlanta regularly sees crowds of 72,000 to watch Atlanta United FC. And no, they have no history in soccer. Nashville too has a team that is just a few years old that is heading to MLS.

Pittsburgh can absolutely be another successful soccer city because we're already a successful Sports City. In no other professional league in North America do you get the energy you see on display in MLS. Those soccer games are like all the passion of college football with the excitement of Coachella and if you haven't experienced it I highly recommends you do.

All of this can and should be in Pittsburgh, the City of Champions deserves nothing less!!

5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I grew up in Pittsburgh and have lived in Cincinnati off and on for 25 + years now. Soccer works in Cincy because their Bengals have been a laughing stock for so long that they knew Soccer would have an immediate impact. The Reds are traditionally a .500 club and they have a very good minor league hockey team that really doesn't draw great attendance even when they are winning the title.

My Daughter goes to FC Cincinnati games and my son wants me to take him. I might just let him go with his sister as I have no desire to ever attend. It just has never peaked my interest.

I really don't think Pittsburgh would be a great market for major league soccer. JMHO.

6. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Count me out. Not a fan in the slightest. Want to watch a sport with one of the highest injury rates amongst youngsters? I don't.

I know this post is about a professional team, so I'm sorry to get on my soap box about juveniles. Not the place.

7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We have a hard enough time supporting 3 major league teams (Pirates)
    Plus the college teams. We failed at MLS long time ago, they ain't coming back.

8. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Hell no! That's why they took a team of that goofy sport.

The most intense? Ummmmmmm........