1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

We won yesterday despite bad coaching and bad officating!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    We never punted in the game until the last drive where it was crucial to get a couple first downs! This after moving the ball on six different drives which were not hampered by turnover, we averaged 8 plays for those six drives. And then when it was critical to get a couple first downs to cement the win, we run Edmunds up the middle twice for no gain (which hadn't worked all game) and then a short pass incomplete! Fuchtner is a liability!

In the midst of the the final Colts drive, when we could have been putting the game away, Tomlin issued two challenges, and lost two critical time outs. One challenge was smart and should have been overturned, the other was utterly stupid.

It is deplorable that we still don't know if MR is capable of success in a game where our offense mixes up play calls to give him the best chance!

Fuchtner is a liability!
    1. We know MR was a gunslinger in college.
    2. We have seen MR succeed in the downfield passing game against the Dolphins.
    3. We "all" know that if you don't throw it downfield the defense can stack up against the run game and short pass game.
    4. Fuchtner seems to forbid MR from throwing downfield!
    5. Either Fuchtner sees something in practice which trumps everything else or he is just not a good play-caller.

2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Mason still scares me on the long throws & timing throws. A second late & underthrown.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    You are absolutely correct but I think virtually any QB needs some experience at each and every facet of the game to perfect those facets. MR gets to throw it deep once in a great while and the game plan seems to be built as if MR has a noodle arm or is cared to death and I can see with my own eyes that he is neither of those.

4. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Bad coaching and poor clock management tempt fate and usually put the outcome in the officials' hands. If you handle your business and don't make mistakes, the officials can't take the victory from you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    The limited time I have been able to watch Mason I think if he can get his footwork (stepping to or fro in the pocket) down his thriows will look alot better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    + Half his deep balls look like wounded ducks

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I would tend to agree. But he never had that problem in college. He was more decisive and accurate while he was killing WVU. Maybe if we can get our opponents to wear blue and gold with a big WV on it, he will set the league on fire.

• Like Like x 1
  8. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Guess i have been watching a diff QB then, MR looks scare'ed in every game he has played in this year.. esp after he gets hit

9. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    It's the ones that he doesn't step into when throwing. When his footwork is correct the ball has alot more zip on it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Just like Bens the last few years. Either wildly inaccurate or mr woobly

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Bens legacy might intimidate him idk, He'll have to switch to tearing up purple & white with crows on the shoulder pads.

12. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I understand what you're saying. I just don't think he's scared when he withstood the worst "looking" injury I have ever seen and still stands in the pocket (sometimes too long).

But I will say this.....I can't explain what I see in his eyes but it looks like he may not have a killer instinct? He looks like a super nice guy going to the grocery store:smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Well more often I guess, still love me some Ben. If he still has the fire I can stomach his Jetro moments.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Ben is still better than 80% of the Qb's in the league and he has the moxy to call his own plays which allowed Fuchtner to stay hidden for a few years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Man talk about passive-agressive, you sir take the cake today...lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015

Passive aggressive: Displaying behavior characterized by the expression of negative feelings, resentment, and aggression in an unassertive passive way.

My bad...........Fuchtner sucks and had it not been for Ben, he would be coaching pee-wee football for the last two years!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Been saying this all season. I get Mason's first two starts. I also understand that Mason could potentially be shaking off any remaining rust from that concussion he suffered as there is so much we don't know about them.

All that said, Fichtner needs to step it up. Stop protecting Mason and let him sling it. Mason will grow up as the game goes along I am sure.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The coaches gave Mason options. Mason choose where he wanted to throw the ball.

19. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Actually officials seem to be deciding the out come of games with bad calls, non calls, and questionable calls more than I ever remember. The league is putting officials in a bad position with the rules the league implements.

Officials did and can take victory away from teams.

20. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Mason is doing line under the circumstances. He out played Lamar yesterday stat wise so chill. MR's stats would be even better if the last 2 picks weren't off our WR's h;ands of stone. I don't think he's still shell shocked or rusty or whatever from getting cold cocked a month ago. I see a continuing progression in his play and he will get better every time he takes the field as long as he is not put in a position to fail.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. TomlinSux

TomlinSux Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    You can add Butler to that mix of coaches that suck. Tomlin right behind the both of them.

• Like Like x 1
  22. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I don't get the impression that Rudolph is playing scared. Maybe a little unsure sometimes? Sure, he's a second year player. I'm all for cutting him loose and letting him throw the rock around. This is a borderline playoff teams with too many "ifs" attached to it. Let's see what the kid has.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Hey @Stone

More bad coaching!!

Seriously though, this has to improve. This is unacceptable as teams like Los Angeles will not be as forgiving.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This Offense is still in pre season mode. Think about all the new pieces.

But the OLine play is puzzling at times.

25. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    They won because a fossil shanked a kick.