1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Clemson: College Football's New Supreme Power?

Discussion in 'College Football Talk' started by AskQuestionsLater, Jan 12, 2017.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
  2. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    guys???

that's not fair

i already stated that the ACC is the powerhouse for true NFL players.
    The ACC still holds the record for the most 1st rd draft picks in a year too.
    Sure the good ol boy netwerk of the sec would like others to believe differently
    but
    if you want to learn the game
    be a productive nfl player

AND
    HAVE AN EDUCATION!!!
    ACC is the only conference

i hope i didn't over step some boundary the GUYS had in place here

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    They are a one trick pony after winning the title they will drift away from the final playoff four just like Auburn did after winning their title when newton was there....

4. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't think Clemson is a one tick pony but I don't think they are a power house here to stay either.

For years now, Clemson has had a high powered offense and an agrees I've defense. Watson was finally the QB to put them over the hump.

Fun team to watch, but powerhouse for years to come? Nope.

5. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah, not buying it. To be a powerhouse you have to show you can do it with different QB's.

Ohio State, Bama, who else is getting there with multiple QB's?

6. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Bama will still recruit better than clemson, bama has that mystic of being a perennial power house and the head coach in saban that will get them better prepared for the NFL draft....

7. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Alabama will be the only true powerhouse as long as Nick Saban is head coach.

9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    You can trot out the usual, power houses.

Prediction going forward. Texas will dominate college football soon, coach is in place now and will secure
    most of the great players in Tx $$$$$. Hook em Horns.

10. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Florida St is going to Boston College this year which is fairly close to me.

They didn't lose too much to the draft this year minus Dalvin Cook.

I see they are rated #3 starting the season. Be interested to see how much of a fight they put up against Bama coming out of the gates.

11. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    They will get smacked by Bama... I think Deondre Francois is overrated.

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Clemson has now cemented itself as the new supreme power of the NCAA FBS 1 Football World. Without question in my opinion. Clemson has all the tools to make a run at history.

Seems the ACC will now experience what the SEC has experienced for years now. Difference is, not many teams can trade blows with Clemson in the conference currently. Maybe Florida State or Miami but that is all I can think.

13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Last night was a great game for Clemson, but I think they had already cemented themselves as one of two superior powerhouse programs. Alabama isn’t just going to go slinking away and conceding power to Clemson for the next decade. They’ll be back.

It’s one game. It could easily go the other way when they (almost certainly) meet in a playoff game again next year.

Also, the ACC is not the SEC. Not even close. At points in each of the past few years there were a few SEC teams besides Alabama with legitimate playoff hopes (and sometimes even playoff participation). The ACC? Not much.

14. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Yes, with the additions of Lawrence and Ross, Clemson is a powerhouse here to stay.

They took a step back last year as they had QB issues after the departure of Watson.

I think Clemson is the top dog for the next 2 years even after the defensive losses they will sustain in the draft this year.

15. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I applaud you AQL for digging in the archives for a Clemson thread and not starting another "hey look at me" thread like a certain impetuous poster from the shiny mirrored ceiling ball era. ;) Hitching on to this older thread also provided some insight into certain aspects of our old friend Darcrav.

Regarding Clemson, it was hard to imagine a better combo than Watson to Mike Williams until the Lawrence to Ross unit went into action last night. Mercy me that was fantastic to watch with Lawrence only the 2nd true Frosh QB to win a National Championship. Will he be the first to be repeat Heisman's in his Soph/Junior seasons since Archie Griffin in 74/75? Looks like a safe bet right now. Always fun to see the top dog get knocked down a few rungs. (You listening Pats?)

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Well, it was not intentional. I had a feeling then that Clemson was well on its way towards cementing themselves. After acquiring Trevor Lawrence though, there is little to no doubt now. Clemson got a huge gift in Lawrence.

That said, Clemson is here to stay. A new $150+ million dollar upgrade to their facility and yet another consenus number one quarterback likely to commit in 2020 reinforces this even more. While Alabama is not going anywhere, Clemson is not budging from the top spot.

Trevor Lawrence is the real deal. Whoever is a close second is not even close to being a close second.

17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Trevor Lawrence is the X Factor here. All the more reason Clemson is going to stay top dog for two to three more years. No Quarterback in the NCAA FBS 1 is cut from the same cloth.

18. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Fromm and Lawrence coming out in back to back years. Will be fun to watch.

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State (via Justin Fields pending approval) and Clemson have all directly and indirectly planted their flag. Going to be difficult for teams to get past those four. Talk about a four headed monster.

20. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Dabo getting paid almost $100 million, and the players still get nothing. Please, tell me again how this isn't insane? At least in the NFL you can argue that the workers get something based on their value. And please don't tell me how they get a free "education"!!! The only thing they're getting educated in is how to be exploited. People that say college ball is better because it's somehow more pure "love of the game" make me laugh.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Looks like Trevor Lawernce is having problems his sophomore season.

22. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Dammit. I hope he shapes up by the time he is wearing black and gold.:hehehe:

23. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    In your dreams.